True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  3:39:51 PM  Show Profile
Hey Ladies,
My husband want to kill the grass that is in the gravel going to our house. I dont want it to run off to the pasture it is next to when it rains. Can anyone help with a natural weed killer?

Thanks
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  4:19:57 PM  Show Profile
If you are willing to be dilligent, a propane weed burner (look for a 'weed dragon' at the farm store). It works realy well, you just need to hit them up every so often---grass seems harder to kill. Men seem to like this process so there doesn't seem to be any trouble getting the hubby to do it. I've also read that a spray of soap and vinegar works well. The weed burner is how we do the weeds in our driveway. http://www.flameengineering.com/Weed_Dragon.html

Celeste

"No matter where you go, there you are"
--Confucious

www.urbanprairiehome.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  4:27:04 PM  Show Profile
Vinegar will kill grass very well. I always end up killing some when spraying it on the bindweed (oops).

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  4:36:29 PM  Show Profile
Lisa...does the vinegar work on bindweed? I'm LOUSY with bindweed and can't seem to find an organic control for it.

Celeste

--Confucious

Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  4:40:35 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, Is bundweed the grassy stuff that runs everywhere???? I would love to get rid of that....I think i have it in the yard as well. So i need to tell my husband he can play with fire...I think he will be excited about that. Thanks
Deborah

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  7:55:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Bindweed is actually a wild form of Morning Glory and the bane of my existence! ;P

Actually the vinegar works great and if you use a controlled amount in the gravel it shouldn't kill the grass. It should de-nature before it gets that far.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2008 :  12:25:42 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Alee, I told my husband. He is going to use the vinegar...We are a little strapped for money so Cant get the torch thingy....
Thanks ladies for all the input.
Deborah

Go to Top of Page

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2008 :  2:25:41 PM  Show Profile
Just FYI....the torch unit at the farm store is about $75 and you can attach it to any propane tank (my hubby straps our tank to a two wheel hand truck and pulls it along with him). So it may not be as expensive as it seems on the website I attached previously--especially when you compare it to stuff like round-up. Just wanted to give you a heads up if you are at all interested in something like flame weeding for future weed killing endeavors.

Celeste

--Confucious

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2008 :  2:47:38 PM  Show Profile
I got one of the torches for less than $50 at Lehmans
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  08:44:03 AM  Show Profile
I have a little handheld that I use for burning sugar on my creme brulee....it might take longer but I'm going to try it on the seams in the concrete. Thanks about the vinegar...I really need to kill weeds and grass in places....I have Bermuda graas which I CAN"T KILL...it has runners which go EVERYWHERE! I may check out a larger torch system though....I'll call our local farm store and see what they're charging. Thanks for all the great advice becuase it IS a jungle down here and if you don't control this stuff it will be coming in the house!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  09:55:36 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone know what can be used on Goatheads? I know I can use 2-4-D, but wanted something safe for use around my goats, Rufas and Becky.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  10:13:07 AM  Show Profile
Sandra, the torch won't help you kill future generations of weeds that spread by runner. They only burn off the aerial parts (the parts we see above-ground). In many, if not most, cases, that'll kill the whole plant after one or two treatments. I'm afraid you need something "systemic" for your Bermuda rgrass -- that means something you can spray on the leaves that will go down into the roots and spread through them to kill off the entire plant below and above. Old-timers around here say that the best time to do this on our invasive Japanese Honeysuckle is in autumn, when "sap" runs down, or spring, just as it's coming up. I'm not sure if that standard would hold for juicy green things as much as for woody stuff, "weed trees," and so on, but it might be worth asking about at your local old-timers hangout. Fpr what it's worth, I think those propane weed burners are fabulous in suburban settings, where all you have to deal with are bits of grass poking up through sidewalks and cracks in the driveway. If you have the kind of "forest primeval" coming up in your gravel drive in the country like we have, you need WAY BIGGER GUNS. You might ask your local farmers co-op or similar place if they have Roundup trucks (like oil takers but filled with Roundup) that will come and spray major areas of your property that have gotten overgrown. Might be worth it in the long run. Our co-op charges a minimum of $100 to show up, but they do a LOT for that. Roundup shouldn't harm your neighboring pasture, but ask your neighbor.

Edited by - Rosemary on Aug 06 2008 7:40:20 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Natural Weed Killer Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page