Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Fair time is coming-anyone know about judging?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Fair time is coming-anyone know about judging? Next Topic  

NancyM
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Nancy
Fall City WA
113 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  8:22:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi All-
I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about how things are judged at fairs? In particular, jams, pickles and pies. I'm having a pretty good year with jam & pie so far...

Nancy
Farmgirl Sister #159

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  9:15:26 PM  Show Profile
I judged the jam/jelly section of our fair one year. Here are a few things we looked for, most though, I think you'll find just common sense.
- wax-sealed jams must not have any cracks in the wax or seepage through it
- jars must be clean and not sticky (amazing how many weren't)
- no rusty lids or rings
- metal lids must be properly sealed and "pop" when opened
- no floating fruit in jams (stir until slightly cooled to prevent this)
- an opened jar must show no signs of foam on the surface
- no air spaces or bubbles
- be precise when filling your jars...if they ask for 1/2" head space, make sure it is exactly that
- if the class of your entry requires, for example, three different jams or jellies, use the same style of jar and make sure all jars are filled equally for good presentation

That's what I can think of off the top of my head.

One year we had the greatest entry. Three ladies from a local retirement home had prepared and entered three separate little jars of blackberry jam (competing against each other!!). Needless to say, all three "tied"! :)

Good luck Nancy, hope you come home with lots of blue ribbons!!

Di on VI
Farmgirl Sister #73
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4235 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4235 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  09:02:07 AM  Show Profile
I have heard that sometimes, when deciding the winner, they even looked at if the writing on the lid, was lined up with any writing on the jar! How pickey is that! Having your pickles, or whatever, lined up neatly in your jar is a big one.

Good Luck
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  09:05:13 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, Diane has excellent advice. I enter mostly veggies and pickles. One thing I might add is to make sure you have enough juice to just cover the product leaving the 1/2" head space. I always take the ring off that I used to can the stuff, clean the outside of the jar (I use windex to make it shine) then put on a NEW ring. Make sure the ring is tight but not so tight that the judge cannot get it off.
Wish I had some advice on pies. Could use some myself. Our fair does not allow pumpkin or cream pies and that is what I do best. The judge got ahold of a spoiled pie one time and it is so hot in Aug that they don't allow them anymore.
Looking forward to hearing how many blue ribbons you win. Or better yet, how about a couple of purple ones.
Go to Top of Page

NancyM
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Nancy
Fall City WA
113 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  4:16:03 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much! Your wonderful advice is much appreciated. I may just go ahead and go for it! Keep the advice coming if you have more.

Nancy
Farmgirl Sister #159
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Fair time is coming-anyone know about judging? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page