Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 What inspired your farmgirl outlook?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic What inspired your farmgirl outlook? Next Topic  

FroggyFarmer
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Jackie
Grass Valley ca
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  8:06:03 PM  Show Profile  Send FroggyFarmer a Yahoo! Message
Do any of you reading types remember any books growing up (or already grown up) that inspired your desire to be a "farmgirl". For me it was Heidi (my mother says my long-held desire for a goat farm is due to that book!), Girl of the Limberlost (the perfect book for any girl who's not high on the social ladder, or loves the woods), and more recently the Secret Life of Bees (a great novel all around, but definitely gives a "spiritual" aspect to beekeeping, which I like). I could go on, but those are three that really kick in the desire for a farm of my own. :) Anyone else recall a book that's inspired your farmgirl ways?

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  8:18:05 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I so Identified with Anne of Green Gables~ I was orphaned at an early age too and I was "curious" and adventureous and strong willed. It seemed that every women that "got me" that really understood me was a farm woman.. then I grew up in a small town and rural was what everyone was~ it suited me and still does.. I have said so often that the title of farmgirl is truly the only title big enough to wrap up all aspects of who I am...

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

"Despite the gardener's best intentions, Nature will improvise. ~Michael P. Garafalo
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  8:39:10 PM  Show Profile
Definitely Laura Ingalls books, I remember being influenced by Heidi too. Also, I just posted about this, a book called Gone-Away lake, I recently reread it and realized there were some major themes of self-sufficiency/sustainability in there, Probably more too...
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  10:55:29 PM  Show Profile
I love all the books that have been mentioned!! I think for sure Anne of Green Gables and the Little house books. I loved any book with farms or independant type girls in them/

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  11:27:56 PM  Show Profile
Definitely "Living the Good Life" by Helen & Scott Nearing. Also, I own <blush> every single back issue of Mother Earth News magazine, right back to #1! I must have read the Robinson's "Have More Plan" a million times while I dreamed of having a little farm of my own.

Di on VI
Farmgirl Sister #73
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  06:45:00 AM  Show Profile
Hey Jackie, another Jean Stratton Porter fan!!! I found my copy (an antique copy I now know) of the Girl of the Limberlost in my godmother's barn when I was about 10 (I'm 34 now) and it instantly became my "guidebook"....It belonged to her sister, dated 1914 inside the cover. I still have it, and am planning on having it restored because, well, it's been "well loved" by me :)

That and Anne of Green Gables were my guide...also, believe it or not, James Herriot, the Yorkshire Dales veterinarian.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  11:51:20 PM  Show Profile
You know, I never really thought of it before-- but I think it was actually my Grandpa that inspired me to love farm life. He was an Almond grower (no animals save his dogs-- which he ADORED. I always said that if I was a dog I wanted to live at Grandpa's house! They were SO SPOILED!). I LOVED the farm. I also remember that I was 7 or 8 yrs old when I vowed that I would live on a farm when I grew up. A kid in my class brought a Dairy cow to school for "show and tell" and we all got to try our hand at milking her. I KNEW, right then and there, that I was going to live on a farm and raise my kids there.

Well, God must have heard me, 'cause I've been here 20yrs now. There was just an old horse here (which I LOVED) when my husband and I got married. I have since filled it to the brim with critters! AND I've raised 3 boys--- so I got my wish!!! But I'm sure Laura Ingles had SOME influence! (LOL) ~~~ Tracy

PS: I also had a passion for horses. You can't have a horse in town, so I just HAD to live in the country so I could have one. Actually, I have FOUR!!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2008 :  06:42:07 AM  Show Profile
i dont' remember it being any particular book that inspired me. it was moving to the mountains of colorado .. god's back-yard where i first found my love for my prairie .. log cabin style of decorating.

True Friends * KENTUCKY FRANNIE

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2008 :  07:32:03 AM  Show Profile
As a little girl I always dreamed of being the lost Ingalls child. Still to this day I love that show. I always felt that something was missing. I grew up in what used to be a small farming town. Most of my good friends had farms and I loved going there. The farmgirls all had stay at home Mom's that treated me as their own which was another quality I adored. As my own mother was a single working Mom. Then I grew up and let go of those dreams. All except the stay-at-home Mom one.

I homeschool my children and one day while at the library I was browsing for a "home-ec" book. Can you guess what I found? MaryJane's Idea Book! From there on out I was in...hook, line and sinker. It took me checking out the book a couple of times to really grasp what I was reading but I loved the book and as soon as I saved up enough money I ordered my own copy.

It wasn't enough that I was amazed at things I watched on tv. Things like the pbs House series 1900, 1940 and Frontier House (which was my favorite!) were also inspiring. In the end though in was that precious little book that I found on the shelf that day at the library!

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/

Although no one can go back and make a brand new start; anyone can start from now
and make a brand new end.
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic What inspired your farmgirl outlook? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page