Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Has anyone else read "We Band of Angels?"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Has anyone else read "We Band of Angels?" Next Topic  

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  11:30:29 AM  Show Profile
It's written by one or two ladies that were Army nurses (less than 400 total, and about 12 Navy nurses) that were on the Islands of Batan and Corrigadore (sp?) in the Phillipine's when the Japanese attacked during WWII.

Such a heartwrenching story about the horrors and hardships that those ladies had to endure as Japanese POW's for over 3yrs. They were left to care for over 5,000 men (+ the enemy toops) which they did with compassion and dedication despite being HORRIBLY sick from Malaria (and other "Jungle" ailments) and practically starving to death.

They had been under the direction of General McArthur, but he snuck off like a COWARD in a submarine in the middle of the night with his family before the Japanese attacked. He promised to send troops back for them --- but he NEVER did! It's a book that gives a glimpse --through a Woman's eyes-- into one of the worst wars in history. Well worth reading.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  2:47:00 PM  Show Profile
I guess I should say that this book is also a study in the true strengths we posses as women. Despite the suffering and hardships those women endured, they created strong bonds of friendship that lasted lifetimes. They gave the words "Mothers of invention" a new meaning and they still found ways to laugh and entertain one another, keeping up eachother's spirits. It's not ALL gloom and doom. Like I said, it's well worth the read for those who enjoy reading about those wonderfully strong women who paved the way in this world for the rest of us!!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  5:12:46 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I did read that book along with a few others in the same topic. I am fascinated with WWII for some reason and just love to read about things like this. It's amazing what these women went through, not knowing what was happening but just keeping on. It's such a lesson!

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  11:41:33 PM  Show Profile
My Aunt actually got to meet one of the ladies who was written about in "We Band of Angles." She said she was qiute something to behold. I would love to have met her too. It's sad that most of them have passed on since then, but at least we have their stories to help inspire the rest of us!!

There was another book I read about the WASPS (Women's Air Service Pilots) that was really good too. (Something about "Silver Wings" -- can't remember the title exactly) It was about the women who ferried the planes (many of them brand spankin new and full of "BUGS") from base to base. Women were not allowed to fly in combat of course, but the men were STILL feeling a bit threatened by them. The worst accidents were caused by men who Sabotaged the planes the women flew. (sugar was found in the gas tank of one woman who crashed). But their overall record for delivery verses "accidents" was quite good.

There is a website dedicated to those ladies, with pictures and all kinds of info about the women of WWII. There was also a story about how several of those ladies went up in one of the old restored planes that they used to fly. One of them even got to fly it. And these gals were in their 80's at that time! The woman who flew the plane said it was "like riding a bicycle" She never forgot how to fly that plane -- after 60 years! There are soooo many good books out there about the efforts, accomplishements and heroics of the ladies of that era. Such amazing women. Makes me proud just to BE a woman! ~~Tracy

Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Has anyone else read "We Band of Angels?" Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page