Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  2:32:01 PM  Show Profile
Have you noticed a serious lack of lemon juice at your grocery stores? Apparently there is a worldwide lemon shortage right now. Our local store has NO juice, of any brand, just a sign saying there is a shortage at the moment. Luckily, I had bought a large bottle of juice a few weeks ago, planning for jam-making.

Any real fresh lemons they have are $1 each, and not great quality. I was looking around the Internet about this, and it is not expected to improve until September, when the European lemons come in.

So, stock up if you can find it!

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  3:35:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh No! I go through gallons of lemon juice around here! We love our lemonade! I hope you find some around your town soon to replace what you use for canning.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  4:18:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi Lori,

It's probably not a shortage in the true sense. Our county is known for lemons in CA and production seems fine. My guess, without researching or asking growers, is that lemons are being shipped overseas because growers/packers are getting a better price from foreign buyers. Most premium lemons go to Japan anyway and with the Olympics in China I would suspect a lot are going that direction.

It could also be that more lemons are going into the fresh market, where prices are better, rather than being processed. Dosen't make it any easier though - can't make lemonade without lemons.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Lemon shortage Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page