Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 do you 'decorate' your farm in 'farm style'?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic do you 'decorate' your farm in 'farm style'? Next Topic
Page: of 2

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2006 :  11:27:01 PM  Show Profile
Cute cute kitchens!! Junebug -- love the idea of removing the cabinet doors. I'll keep that in mind if I ever get to have a house again.

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2006 :  07:36:27 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, I love your high ceiling, you can so much with it, and a new counter top is on my wish too, where did you find the 40's speckled green? Your kitchen looks big, very farmgirlish, love it! Thanks for sharing, I love to see pics of people's houses, esp. farmgirls, so many neat ideas to steal!

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2006 :  07:39:14 AM  Show Profile

Here is my dining room all decked out for Christmas, it's joined to the kitchen. Can you tell I just learned how to post pics!

Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2006 :  08:09:07 AM  Show Profile
So Merry and Bright!

Theresa
Go to Top of Page

jenny louise
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

jennifer
cass city MI
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2006 :  06:03:49 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I love the pics. Sue, your wooden work table is wonderful. That is what i need, something functional, yet small enough to fit!
Jenny, I can't wait to see your new countertop! Sounds marvelous.
Thanks guys for the pictures!
Jenny in MI,(I decided to throw that on too, jenny, so everyone can tell the difference)
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2006 :  12:18:48 PM  Show Profile
Actually, that is a wooden butcher block with storage one side, I hide all pots and pans in there till I can find a pot rack. It was a steal too! Thanks girls!

Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2006 :  2:25:45 PM  Show Profile
Wish my place was a real farm. But I thought I would add some pictures to this post of some treasures I have from 'Aunt' Thelma. First a little history. BK (before kids) I was a homehealth nursing assistant. Driving all around,sometimes 100 miles a day. It really was what I loved doing. Then the kiddos arrived.

My sister in the meantime marries a childhood friend, who's mother was my Mom's best friend.
Mom's best friend Donna, has a mother named Thelma. I have had the most wonderful opportunity to have 'Aunt'Thelma come stay weekends with us. FIrst time Jesse (my second) was in my womb. It helped relieve Donna , an only child.

I have found that caring for people is what I am made for. I love it, not as a job more as a gift , to reach out to those in need.

'aunt' Thelma and I have bonded. She is a classy lady 87 years young! A true woman of grace and charm.

Donna, felt that I deserved some 'treasures' from Thelma. So I was gifted. I love and treasure everone. Two things that I am sharing with you today .
1) It's a homemade, hand embroidered children's hanger. Embroidered with a "t" for Thelma. This little goody was made by one of Thelmas Aunts when she was born.
2) This little beauty, a dress, handmade for Thelma. It was worn by her and her younger siblings.

They adorn my computer amoir. They both make me stop and take a deep breath. I hope you enjoy.
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  04:52:29 AM  Show Profile
What treasures!! Thanks for sharing them, I've never seen such old hangers, neat idea!

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  06:30:10 AM  Show Profile
This has been a fun thread....great ideas and pics.

Junebug, your kitchen is awesome. I mentioned on another thread that I think all us farmgals seem to like to see our things....we're all visual. I did away with my uppercabinets, too. All open shelves....lots of jars and everything just a reach away.

Theresa, my mom made a similar dress in her home ec class in high school. It was all handstitched and a wonderful soft cotton. She dressed my sister and me in the dress when we were born. My daughters have worn it and now it hangs in the formal dining room with other family items.

Horseyrider made a good point about the style of home dictating the style of decorating. Although style is all individual. I know that if I had to live in the city I would still decorate in a down home style.

I'm quite eclectic like a lot of you. I grew up in south Louisiana and have quite a bit of Cajun French decor.....my kitchen is all Tabasco stuff....lots of quilts and afghans in the living room.....Texas decor....nature on the inside....and my girls' bedrooms are funky, cool colors and fuzzy pillows, etc... Our home is a brick farmstyle built in 1970. We have front and back porches and dormer windows up top. The kitchen has a huge floor to ceiling bay window that overlooks a butterfly and humingbird garden. There are also other feeders and a bird bath. We are big birders and see quite many species migrating back and forth during the seasons....right there while eating breakfast.

It took me years to figure out my style...contemporary, oriental, western, southwest,... I tried them all. I finally stopped trying so hard and surrounded myself with things that make me feel warm and fuzzy. Consequently, when guests visit, they comment on how warm and welcoming our home is. That Blesses me. I used to make excuses for what I thought looked bad or messy. I don't anymore....I have nothing to be sorry for, except to keep friends that are downers!

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  06:35:49 AM  Show Profile
Tabasco stuff..what a cute idea for the kitchen. My whole house (well, the downstairs part) has high ceilings and I love that! It is a real old house and that is one of my favorite things about it. My living room tends to be sort of "cabiny" and I had a gal who came over to visit last week tell me it was "charming". I am not sure if she meant that in a good way, but I choose to think she did..hhaha. That is one room that I put all my favorite things in..my favorite room besides the kitchen of course. Actually I guess the woman really does do most of the deciding about style and all. I think if I let my husband decide we would have big screen tv's and lawn chairs with tv trays in each room. I don't think so!! Catherine..I think when YOU are comfortable in your surroundings it IS cozy and people feel it.

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  11:44:27 AM  Show Profile
Catherine, you'll have to share some pics of your kitchen with us, I"ve never seen the tabasco stuff, is it hard to find? Sounds cute!

Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2006 :  12:55:53 PM  Show Profile
We built on to our old (125+ year) farm house. Two adults and 3 teens in 800 sq ft (only 2 closets in the whole house) was a bit cramped! The old kitchen we tore down was built on about 1903.

It is not so much decorated in 'farm style' as it is 19th century with open pantries, etc. The majority of items on the pantry shelves are used daily or weekly.
http://www.mullerslanefarm.com/kitchen

My husband built a good amount of our furniture

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com/furniture

We plan on adding a primitive 'summer kitchen'. It will be attached to the main kitchen instead of being a separate building like they used to be. In the new summer kitchen, there will be NO electricity, NO modern heat, NO modern water. It will be well stocked with all the modern conveniences of the mid-1800's with oil lamps, a wood cook stove and a pitcher pump at the sink.

It will house my spinning wheels and looms, as well as being a store front for the farm. It may take years before it is built, but that's the plan!

Ol 'MacDonald has nothing on us!
http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  04:39:26 AM  Show Profile
Cute house, you've done alot of work, looks great!! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  07:05:21 AM  Show Profile
I love your place..thanks for posting the pictures..how fun!! I especially adore that rocking chair!! It is exactly the style I am looking for..and not easy to find!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2006 :  09:28:31 AM  Show Profile
We live on a farm but our house is a brick ranch style built in the early 1970's. The first year we got married we "got the 70's style out of most of the house" by painting and changing the floor. But it is far from what most would think of as a farm house. After the first year we got busy with the farm and now the house gets negleted. I am right in the middle of spring cleaning because in the spring we are too busy outside. I am trying to declutter and down size the amount of stuff we have . I want to simplyfy our lives but decorating is not on the top of my priorty list.
It is funny , when I was living the single life in the big city I lived in a small 100 year cabin. I decorated it for every season and loved to enterain in it. It was like a big play house with lots of old stuff.
Now that I live the counrty life I have a city house and no time or resources to think about decorating it. It is ok though, I like farming and it does come with some sacrifices.
The garlic lady

Cornerstone Garlic Farm http://www.localharvest.org/listing.jsp?id=6792
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic do you 'decorate' your farm in 'farm style'? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page