Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 WHAT KIND OF 'CHILD' WERE YOU?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic WHAT KIND OF 'CHILD' WERE YOU? Next Topic
Page: of 2

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  05:14:44 AM  Show Profile
i remember being a tom-boy .. (or at least .. i loved playing with the 'guys'!) i also remember dear girlfriends .. with all the dressing up and giggling and p.j. parties .. i was the 'middle child' .. and the 'ring-leader' of any escapades (all innnocent) we got into! i remember paper dolls and 'fashion-design' being a love of mine. i LOVED my Tiny Tears doll and my 'microscope' .. i liked, but didn't LOVE school. i remember LOVE.

True Friends * KENTUCKY FRANNIE

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  05:28:04 AM  Show Profile
I was a definite mix of tomboy and girly girl. I loved being outside, fishing, camping, playing kick the can, climbing trees, playing ball, hunting crawdads in the creek, etc but also loved things like dolls, playing dress up and oh yes paper dolls too! My grandma used to always save the Betsy McCall paper dolls that came in her McCalls magazine just for me. I also loved my easy bake oven. My mom was worried I was too much of a tomboy so she sent me to tap and ballet class, which I absolutely hated!

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  05:33:48 AM  Show Profile
My sissy and I were both tom-boys! We were the only girls on both sides of the family, tons of boy cousins and we were the only girls in our neighborhood! So we played more cowboy and Indians, football, kickball, etc. than we played dolls.

One of the things I most remember getting my backside tanned for ~ we had a wash house attached to the garage (the garage being separate from the house and setting behind and kind of off to the side of the house). And the garage had an attic like storage area, with a big window opening that overlooked the garden, but between the garden the rest of the backyard was the clothesline.

One laundry day, mom had everything hung on the line and for some reason, my cousins, sister and yours truly decided to engage in some little war games ~ mud throwing. Part of us took our "ammo" to the landing by the window in the garage and the enemy took up "camp" on the edge of the garden - on the otherside of the clothesline. Well, it wasn't long before mama's wash looked pretty grim. I remember mud splatters on her clean white sheets! Boy, did we all get in trouble!

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  05:40:25 AM  Show Profile
cheryl .. what a fun memory! do you get together with your cousins and tell tales of your childhood together? xo

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  05:58:16 AM  Show Profile
We do some, Frannie. Not as much as before we all started having grandbabies! Life has a way of getting complicated.

When my sister was 6, she pushed our cuzin who was then 9 in the river. Mama was fishing close by and pulled (rather jerked) him out. He whinned and complained about Bobbie Jean pushing him in, which she swore she did not. Finally at a family reunion about 4 years ago, Bobbie admitted to pushing Vince in! He went around saying ~ see! I told you she pushed me in!

Being the youngest in his family for nearly 10 years, Vince was pretty much a pill growing up, so he didn't garner much sympathy.~ *smile*

Edited by - Shi-anne on Jul 31 2008 05:59:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

moxieblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

121 Posts

USA
121 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  06:59:10 AM  Show Profile
I was definitely a mix between girly and tomboy... I LOVED my barbies and babydolls and paperdolls and all things pink and frilly. But, I also liked my brother's Hot Wheels and train sets and climbing trees and camping and finding various wild critters to bring home... mom didn't care for that too much!

I also remember having "yard wars" with the boys that lived on my street. I was the only little girl on the block, so I got used to playing their games real fast.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Farmgirl Sister #242
http://vintage-moxie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  08:09:50 AM  Show Profile
quote:

I also remember having "yard wars" with the boys that lived on my street. I was the only little girl on the block, so I got used to playing their games real fast.

We do adapt pretty fast, don't we? I was really upset I couldn't go to cub scout camp with the rest of the neighborhood! Could not understand why only boys got to go!

Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  09:16:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Playing Outside and running through the sprinkler and giggling with friends

and sleeping bag sleepovers on the back porch and baby dolls and paper dolls

that I wore my crayons out designing the clothes for (I always leaned

towards fashion design just never interpreted it to mean anything when I

went to college as I was raised to go to college to get a "Real Job"...Ha!!

...................... Funny how generations change as our motto in raising our son was....... "Follow Your Dreams!!"

I was a rascal and the youngest, and a silly, happy, kid!!

Until Later,
Audrey

~ Side by side or miles apart....dear friends are always close to the heart ~
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  10:00:07 AM  Show Profile
I was an only child/bookworm. I have never had any athletic ability to speak of, other than shooting pool which of course I didn't discover till I was 21, so I spent a lot of time playing pretend by myself. The only thing I really got in trouble for was reading under the covers -fortunately I had some cousins who lived on 4 acres with animals and they kept me balanced by pushing me into rivers and hog-tying me in the living room:)
I am always amazed that my son is so athletic - how did that come from me??
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  10:37:46 AM  Show Profile
oh diana .. remember the summer evenings when the lightening bugs came out .. and we all played hide and go seek .. king of the hill .. kick the can .. until our parents called us in for our baths! sweet memories.

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  10:42:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
I DO I Do .... playing outside.... hide and seek and kick the can and red rover red rover ....YUP!!! Played outside till dusk!!!

Until Later,
Audrey

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  10:42:48 AM  Show Profile
cheryl .. loved your bobbie jean and vince story! yes, sometimes, we wait t'il we are grown to 'own up' to mischief!

stacy .. it is nice having a little bit girl and a lit bit boy in us as children' isn't it.

audrey .. we are indeed kindred souls. i liked all the things you liked. i don't remember being raised to be this or that .. but just to be a dedicated, hard worker at whatever we did (i believe this thinking comes from families who went through the 'great depression' . i learned excellent responsibility to my career.

amy grace . one of my fondest memories is of my sister reading to me under the covers with the flashlight on .. and sometimes we would pull the 'radio' under there with us and listen to 'fibber mCgee and molly' and .. THE SHADOW KNOWS!

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  10:43:41 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I was tomboy and animal lover who loved to read and explore. I was BIG TIME dreamer and had great plans for life and gosh darnit..I think I am living them all!! HA!! I was a vegetarian for a very long time and I was into "spiritual" learning- tarot cards, readings and I was big time environmentalist. I was also a goodie 2 shoes but I didn't mind. My favorite times where at the beach, collecting shells and I would "Imagine" I lived in the beautiful shore homes, with their pretty white porches and wicker chairs. I definitley was the free spirit of my family- I laughed, asked a lot of questions, explored, wore whacky clothes and loved anyone or anything that came into my life. Barbie was my best friend and I tried to spend time out in my forts.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  10:44:05 AM  Show Profile
Frannie I sure do! We'd catch lightning bugs and put them in jars with holes cut in the lids. All the kids in our subdivision played Hide N Seek or kickball. We lived on a corner lot and dad made a miniature golf course on our side yard by sinking tin cans into the ground. We had to be in by 'dark o clock' which meant when the street lights came on.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  11:02:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
We indeed are kindred souls I do believe Frannie! I am thinkin you might

have been one of my little friends when I was little! Ha!

My parents were sweet, caring, loving hard working people (who went through the 'great depression').

...And even though our "Words" to our son were different (difference in generation) ....as in... Follow Your Dreams....our underlying family values were the same as my parents and our son has ended up to be a Fabulous Guy who is extremely responsible and loving and caring!!!

Until Later,
Audrey

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  11:10:43 AM  Show Profile
I was a tomboy, but loved reading and needlework too..when you could get me inside the house. I was known to read in the haystack (at my grandparents place..where we spent most of our days when shcool was out) and I was the oldest in my family (not by much..the three of us all arrived withing 2 and 1/2 years) and the oldest of the cousins too...so I was in charge of the 7 of us....very bossy. I told everyone what we were playing and how we were going to do it. Usually we played farm and it was MY farm..they were the workers. Or we played swiss family robinson and built our treehouse and it had to be my way. We played softball or raced red wagons down the big dirt road hill across the road at my grandparents place..it was hard dirt and the hill was very steep. We would sit in the wagon, pull the tongue back and hold it (for steering) and go...great fun and alot of crashes too.) We did "rodeos" and gymkanas with our ponies my grandpa kept for us..and horse shows. I could decorate a horse's mane and tail with the best of them.
What I didn't like as a kid was wearing dresses, being clean or being inside..unless it was raining or dark out. Even then I didnt' like to sleep either...waste of time. If you asked my sister and brother what kind of child I was...they would say BOSSY! I know it.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Jul 31 2008 11:11:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  11:25:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Oh my GOODNESS....I Love this TOPIC!!!

Memories just keep rolling in.........

....My Grandparents had a summer home.....in Pachoke (sp?) NY and I have Memories Galore!!!! FUN FUN FUN!!!! Swinging in the tree swing....making mud pies and castles with pails of water out front on the dirt road with my sister and cousins.......picking daisies......roasting marshmallows with my Grandparents at night in the fire pit...!!!! Wonderful Memories!

Until Later,
Audrey

Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  2:26:58 PM  Show Profile
While we were watching my whirling dervish of a daugther one day, my Dad leaned over and whispered in my ear that I fully deserved her because aparently, I was worse.
So evidently, I was very BUSY as a child.
(Not how I rememeber it, though, I was an angel! LOL)

Daddy also said I deserve that "pig headed stubborn son of yours!"
I will admit to being stubborn.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  2:57:28 PM  Show Profile
I was definitely a tom-boy. I was the fifth girl in a family of six girls. I was and still am an animal lover, and love the outdoors. I would rather spend the day with my 7 cats then go to a social or tea party. No thanks! I never owned a doll, but I did get a Ken doll with the wardrobe cabinet one Christmas. Two days later, I burned Ken in a fire my best friend and I started. I wouldn't change a thing about the way I grew up.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  4:06:42 PM  Show Profile
I was a grandma's girl...whatever she did - I wanted to do with her! I loved my dolls but also had some tom-boy in me. I would ride my little trike around the yard and put rocks (potatoes), grass (turnips), sticks (carrots) and put them on the back and pretend I was going to the farmers market! I have so many fond memories of my childhood. I remember making biscuits with her and helping shell beans while watching TV. Sorry gals, I could go on and on.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  5:53:46 PM  Show Profile
I was also a tomboy.

Couldn't tell you how much time was spent in the creek collecting critters and flipping over rocks to look for snakes. My mother was so patient for all the animals that were brought home throughout the course of a summer. Never told her about the garter snake that escaped in my room one day.

we were always told to "go outside and play". In those days, we could disappear for hours (as long as we told where we were going) and resurfaced in time for dinner, but only after hearing the whistle from my dad a mile away. When we heard that, we had better come a' runnin'. We would wolf supper, then go outside to play tag and catch fireflies. I'd get frustrated at having to briefly come in to use the bathroom then try to find everyone all over again. We had a neighborhood locator call/whoop. There was a group of 5-6 of us around the same ages, so we all grew up together and our moms were closely knit too. We still keep in touch with 2 families.

I liked wearing dresses, but preferred the preverbial shorts and bare feet.

I was am still am willful. I continue to challenge authorty and push the limits.

highschool was pretty rough...boys and dating and the "trashy rock music". (I was and still am a diehard Rush fan). Never really got into serious trouble though.

Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  5:30:18 PM  Show Profile
I was a very sickly child. I had juvenile arthritis ane rheumatic fever and when I graduated from the 8th grade I weighed a mere 69 lbs! But, I also loved being a farmgirl. I remember one time, my dad was so busy that he didn't have time to plow this one section of our field so he asked me to do it. I was the size of a toothpick and the blasted tractor kept rearing up in the front and by the time I finished plowing it looked like a drunk had done it! But, I kept at it and I finally plowed straight!

One other time I was picking peas with him and as I put my hand in the plants to pick some more when I picked up a snake! Lord O Mighty I threw that sucker as hard as I could and hit my dad right in the head! I will admit that I never picked peas again!

On one other occassion I was shucking corn and in the basket was a mouse that of course I picked up. I was so scared that I threw it at the barn so hard I killed it! I guess I was a pretty wild....sick child! And I had fun! Susan
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  5:35:18 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Susan- I can see you hauling that tracker around that field...that is awesome!!! You sound like me with unexpected animal encounters...ha!!

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  07:16:08 AM  Show Profile
Anna,
I grew up like you too. We were outside almost all of the time until we had to be dragged in. There was probably ten-fifteen of us at any time-We played the Dukes of Hazzard, Star Wars, Around the House Tag, Kick the Can, Ghost in the Graveyard, Flashlight Tag etc.

My Dad used to whistle for us too, when dinner was ready. I have tried for years to duplicate how he does it, and gave up.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  10:04:27 AM  Show Profile
Kate!

You could have been right there w/ us. We sound just alike and even played the same games

Sure miss those summer evenings

The fileds where we picked blackberries and the cows across from the highschool are now long gone. There were some mornings where we could sit there in class and smell the true country air.
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  10:32:09 PM  Show Profile
Ahh... childhood memories, aren't they a kick? I have so many funny memories I just don't know WHERE to begin!! So I will just say that I was a pretty good kid. (my mom even said so!!). I was quiet and didn't like to get into trouble. As a teenager, I was STILL a bit shy, but I never got CAUGHT for any of the things I did (Oh, if I'd had a daughter amongst all these boys I would have LOCKED HER IN HER ROOM UNTIL SHE WAS MARRIED!!!), but, seriously, I still was a good kid, even as a teenager. My "wild stage" has come as an old married woman! But I'm STILL a good kid! (LOL) ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic WHAT KIND OF 'CHILD' WERE YOU? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page