Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 I just realized something pretty cool
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic I just realized something pretty cool Next Topic  

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  11:21:08 AM  Show Profile
I guess you could call it an epiphany...

When I lived in NY and later in UT, I NEVER talked to strangers, I didn't socialize much, if at all, never looked strangers in the eye (that was considered an invitation to use you), and generally felt that I simply just did not like people in general. I'd rather be up in the mountains with a dog than a person. I wasn't crabby or grouchy, I just avoided people as much as possible.

Now after nearly 10 years in this little bitty town, I just realized that I actually like people now. I wave at everybody, I smile and say hi to total strangers that I pass on the street, I'm usually the first to strike up a conversation with them. I'm far more involved with community events and gatherings and I'm not trying duck behind something or leave to avoid talking to folks.

This is something I had been working on since moving here but it's become much more apparent to me lately - the change, I mean. This morning I thought that's what small town living does for you. But in further contemplation (our computers were down for 3 1/2 hours at work) I realized that I owe most of this positive change in my behavior to MaryJane. Her influence is incredibly powerful and contagious! I not only talk to strangers, but I initiate many of the conversations! It's such a huge difference from my former self. Something I once thought I would never do, nor did I think I would even WANT to do.

I also think that talking to you all helped in that area, too. I admit it's really easy to chat on here when you're not face to face, but I think you gals kind of pushed me out of that armor I was hiding in and MaryJane set the example.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  11:29:06 AM  Show Profile
That is really great Lisa! It is wonderful to be able to have a group like this! I love it! Have a great day dear!

Chelsey

Farmgirl Sister #283
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  11:37:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Lisa-

I totally agree. I feel like the MaryJanes Chat Forum and MaryJane herself- though meeting her, her books, magazines and everything she offers out to the world has helped me as well.

I used to be pretty cynical. I had lots of things to work through as a kid- food allergies, being "different" (always finding interests in things that other kids just couldn't or wouldn't like), being shorter and not athletically talented. I was always the odd kid out and dealt with a lot of shunning and teasing as a kid.

Even though I grew up in a small town, I felt like I didn't like people much either. I was always a huge bookworm and often locked my self up with a pile of books to read.

In my heart I knew I wanted to be warm and open. I wanted to "belong" to a group. Don't get me wrong- I had friends and all, but even then- I didn't feel a complete sense of belonging.

It took me a while to "blossom" on the forum. I was wary of this being very similar to school. Some people being friendly and the large number being groups not willing to invite in newcomers.

I was amazed and impressed to find that it was exactly the opposite. Everyone open and friendly. Kind and caring women that honestly want to share their knowledge and help each other along. Women who don't take themselves too seriously to laugh at mistakes, and completely loving to each other. In all reality it is the far flung few that don't seem to catch the vibe of farmgirl spirit. They often fade away so our community stays strong and whole.

I feel like knowing you all has helped me gain perspective on my past and has helped me to find the true me that really wanted to come out all those years ago. Thank you MaryJane, and thank you everyone one on the Forum!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  12:04:11 PM  Show Profile
lisa . that is terrific .. i think all the reasons you stated help us to become more of an 'extrovert' .. but i also think that happens sometimes as we get a 'tad' older .. and wiser with age. (now you might jus' be in your twenties .. and that small town living where 'everybody knows your name' helps us be friendlier .. and we feel more like 'family' and life is a little slower than our hurry-scurry city lives (which i am the first to shout from the rooftops .. can be THRILLING and VERY FULFILLING at times in our lives). i do love small town living but wouldn't trade my city life for anything! i think when we are working and kids to raise .. these become our focus .. (at least it was for me) .. but when i RETIRED .. that's when the real gurlfren happenin' started! i've loved all chapters!

when i retired and started presenting 'tea parties' for women and historical tea parties for children .. and started our wonderful doll club in maryland .. that's when my gurlfren gang grew and grew and grew. and this wunnerful internet thingie with all the chat boards in areas that interest us has increased that number even double and more!

good women friends are out there .. it jus' takes finding them .. and a smiling face.

good for you sweet lisa. xo

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic I just realized something pretty cool Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page