EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  09:53:40 AM  Show Profile
About a year ago I took in two turkeys from a neighbor down the road that waited till the last minute to try and find a place for them. The lady told me if I did not take them her husband was going to chop off their heads and throw them away. These people were military people and they did not leave a good impression on me. Well one of the turkeys was handicapped with what looked like a club foot type of deal with one large ball claw toe that made it hard for her to walk. I lost the healthy one, just went out one day and she was dead. Well, the lame one is much more lame now and I sometimes have to move her around. She will drink when I put the water and food in front of her but I can tell she is fading. The chickens in the yard pick at her, guess she might have mites and they pick them off. The turkey has diarrhea and I can't bring myself to find a way to end her life. My husband said he would just cut her head off it was the quickest way. To me this sounds harsh, but what would a vet do, do they do injections like with regular euthanasias? Any suggestions? The turkey will not make winter and I do not want her to suffer, I love her very much.

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
Farmgirl Sister #59
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  10:36:17 AM  Show Profile
Your husband is right..it would be the quickest most humane way. Hard to do and hard to watch for sure..but I have had to do it. I had a pet turkey who was attacked by dogs and no amount of doctoring on him helped..I finally had to put him down. A vet probably would laugh if you asked him to do it. Seriously. I had one pet turkey for years and they do grow on you for sure. But..sounds like this one dosn't have much of a life at all right now..and is probably in pain.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  10:58:51 AM  Show Profile
I think a vet would not "waste" time on a turkey. But they might just take her off your hands. Don't ask what they will do. You probably don't want to know. But, whatever you do, do it SOON because the bird is just suffering.

I'll bet they are "Commercial White's" or "Bronze" turkey's aren't they? Those birds, I'm sorry to say, are not meant to live long. They are like the Cornish X chickens, developed for FOOD consumption ONLY. They deteriorate rapidly after a certain age-- though I had a commercial white turkey for 3+ years-- an EXCEPTIONALLY loooooong time for one of those birds to live!

She was perfectly fine, walking, eating (though she had to lay down to eat, she just couldn't stand up that long she was so HEAVY. about 50lbs I think) One day we went out to feed her and she was dead. Never a sign of illness in the bird, no signs of trauma etc... She was just DEAD.

If you want turkey's for long term pets, the Heritage breed turkey's are the best to get. There are many BEAUTIFUL breeds to choose from. (Blue Slates, Bourban Reds, Rio Grandes, Naragansett, Palm etc...) I have had several over the years and they have lived quite a long time, though I've lost each of them to an unfortunate accident (the last was a 7yr old blue slate hen that my brother-in-laws dog killed --- she was about 7 or 8yrs old and going strong. It broke my heart to lose her that way).

I'm so sorry that you're bird is not well, but she's just suffering Kathy. You need to do something for her SOON. My heart goes out to you ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  11:33:58 AM  Show Profile
Please understand that I took these turkeys to save their lives from what I thought was stupidity on the part of the owner. I certainly did not want a pet turkey, I have plenty of chickens.
My husband will have to take care of this - I want no part of it. I have heard that when a head is cut off that they can still see and that they see their headless body. That thought makes me ill.

Farmgirl Sister #59

Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  3:06:11 PM  Show Profile
Can you take it to the local animal shelter?
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  6:05:35 PM  Show Profile
I am thinking of taking to my horse vet and see if he will put her down. She knows me and trusts me, the turkey that is - she looks for me when I am outside and I sit and pet her and give her water and food. We have bonded and that makes it all the worse.
All the farmgirls that know me know that I will not let an animal suffer needlessly, but I do wonder at times why mercy is not shown from God on poor innocent creatures.

Farmgirl Sister #59

Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  8:52:42 PM  Show Profile
Kathy, there ARE vets who WILL euthanize birds...well, at least they do in the city..and HUMANELY put them to sleep with the euthanol solution...so that you COULD avoid the poor thing being decapitated. See if your vet will do it. OF course, this may be more costly, but at least the bird would be asleep.

My heart goes out to you.

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  9:03:04 PM  Show Profile
Kathy:
My vet would euthanize the turkey. If you love the turkey, euthanize her. How sad for you. I will keep you in my prayers.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  06:58:28 AM  Show Profile
After a few calls this am I found a vet to euthanize Loopy for approx $50-85 - my husband will take her on Saturday morning. At least she will not get her head chopped off. I am sad but I feel better. She is waiting for me to bring her her breakfast. Poor blessed turkey.
Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #59

Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  1:53:19 PM  Show Profile
I understand you not wanting the bird to suffer and it wouldn't if you had a clean kill with a sharp axe on the first stroke. It is an instant and painless death. They have no vision and no feeling.

Their nerves will jump causing the dead body to jerk around. That would probably unnerve you more than anything else.

Cyndi
Muller's Lane Farm http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  2:22:18 PM  Show Profile
Killing an animal that way would haunt me forever. Best for an experienced vet to do the job for me.

Farmgirl Sister #59

Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  10:10:02 PM  Show Profile
Loopy the turkey was humanly put to sleep by a vet today. My husband took her and said they gave her a sedative first and then gave euth solution injection directly to her heart. We buried her today. I am glad she is no longer suffering, poor dear turkey.

Farmgirl Sister #59

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2008 :  06:27:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am so sorry for your loss, Kathy- But I am glad she isn't suffering any more.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  12:16:03 PM  Show Profile
Your're in my prayers Kathy. I have had to put down a couple of dogs in the past. It is hard.
Go to Top of Page

fiddlers wife
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

ginny
pacific mo
USA
248 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  3:42:46 PM  Show Profile
Aww, Kathy, bless your heart. I'm, sorry you had to do it but at least she was loved while she was with you. Some people underestimate their capacity to feel, don't they?

I have a TEN YEAR OLD Broad Breasted Bronze turkey hen that I will dearly miss when she goes. I plan to have my vet do it if it comes to that. She is a pet and I feel I owe her that much.

Sending you a hug, farmgirl.

www.handcraftedatwitsend.weebly.com
www.ginnymae.etsy.com
Restyled vintage elements featuring feed sack purses and totes
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  6:27:57 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Ginny! It is never easy to say goodbye to a friend. Loopy had a good life with me poor thing. I hope yours lives a good long and healthy life!

Farmgirl Sister #59

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9414 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9414 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  05:39:22 AM  Show Profile
Kathy,
Sorry that you lost your pet turkey. Animals have such a tendency to grow on us. One thing I wanted to share when you said " I do wonder at times why mercy is not shown from God on poor innocent creatures" God says in his Word that we are to take dominion over the earth and that includes animals. I prayed when our dog was so sick with kidney disease that God would let her die on her own because I couldn't bear the thought of putting her to sleep. She was at the vet's and he really loved her too. In fact he took her home with him because I think he knew she was not going to make it. He did not put her to sleep but she was not alone when she died. I was sorry that he did not let us bring her home but kept saying that he just wanted to keep her one more day. I believe he knows me well enough to know I would have had real trouble with that. I have questioned whether or not she died on her own or whether he decided to put her down but then I think "why would he have bothered to take her home to do it"? I know he thought alot of her so I try to think the best of him. Anyway, I believe once we get attached to an animal no matter what kind we don't want to see them suffer. I believe you did what seemed most humane to you and I certainly wouldn't have wanted to just have my husband shoot the dog like my dad used to do to ours when they were suffering. Everyone knows what is most humane in their own minds and you can rest assured that you did the right thing for you.

Denise
farmgirl sister #43

"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

luvnlife
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Michele
Quincy WA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2008 :  9:24:35 PM  Show Profile
So sorry to hear about your turkey. All my life I've heard how dumb turkeys are but this spring we got two from the local feed store. One died unexpectedly about two week's ago. Now the lone turkey is lonely and VERY personable. None of my chickens have ever followed me around my barn and "talked" to me like my young turkey does now. My eyes have been opened to the sweetness turkeys can bring. I'm sure you feel blessed to have shared her life with her. And I agree, taking her to the vet is much easier on your heart. I've had to cut off one of my chicken's head because the dog got to it and it was suffering badly. It's an experience I'll NEVER forget. I laugh at myself because it's a good thing I can buy chicken in the store because if I relied on eating my flock I'd have to become a vegetarian. LOL!!!

Happy Farmgirl Sister #306!
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Turkey Question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page