Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 1st time garden...dying! Need advice.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic 1st time garden...dying! Need advice. Next Topic  

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  09:01:08 AM  Show Profile
OK. My garden seems to be dying en masse' At first I thought it was those dreaded Japanese Beetles that ate my rose bush but this doesn't really look the same... Everything is getting all shriveled and it looks "dirty".. This is a leaf from my one of my tomato plants...

squash...

and tomatoes in the garden, all around the bottom.

Any ideas???? Oh, and my basil has black spots and so does my peppermint? I am so disheartened. They seemed to be doing so well. Any help is appreciated!

--I am grateful. I have enough.--

Edited by - StarMeadow on Jul 29 2008 09:01:42 AM

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  09:06:41 AM  Show Profile
So many things could happen. Have you been on a regular watering schedule. Tomatoes need lots of air around them or they will get black spots and fungus. Basil needs lots of warmths and no watering on the foliage or you will get black spot. Air circulation is very important. Hope that helps. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  09:18:04 AM  Show Profile
T:
My tomatoe plants did the same thing. I thought it was the heat in Louisiana. The farmgirls gave me the best suggestions about a week ago. I wasn't watering enough. In a weeks time, they are looking much better. I pulled off the dead leaves. Next year I will not plant the tomatoe plants so close.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  09:26:44 AM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies. Water and air could be it. They are kinda close. I have been out there giving them a drink every evening this week but I wasn't so generous previously. Will keep an eye on them daily.

Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  09:58:22 AM  Show Profile
I also prune my tomatos on a regular basis. Just take a pair of clean scissors and cut off the sucker leaves and it will allow more air to get through the vines/bushes and will allow more energy to go to making tomatos.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  10:04:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yup, it looks like they need more water and perhaps be really careful to try an only water the base and not the leaves, especially if watering in the heat of the day. You don't want to sunburn the plants.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  11:05:03 AM  Show Profile
Along with Alee's advice, it's best not to get the leaves wet in the evening either as this promotes fungus. Bottom watering or using soaker hoses is the best way. I like to use a wand which I can stick down underneath all the leaves. You'll want to remove all your damaged leaves, too.

I hope things get better.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  3:19:48 PM  Show Profile
If you get lots of rain, making sure the area under the plants is clear is good. Water can bounce up onto the leaves hence causing the black rot.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  9:32:54 PM  Show Profile
T:
I loved the pictures. The mailbox flowers were absolutely beautiful. I loved the dog. He/she is a cutie!
Marly
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  08:31:00 AM  Show Profile
Sorry Marly...haven't posted any photos of the dog and I don't have flowers around my mailbox...(yet). Someone else's maybe?? Besides at the rate I'm going with my poor dying garden and my desicated rose bush...I'm doubting I could GET flowers to grow.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  09:03:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
How is the garden doing Star Meadow? Is it showing any signs of perking up? Are there new leaves forming on the tomato plants?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  11:49:37 AM  Show Profile
Not too quickly I'm afraid. I'm going to hook up a drip watering thing today. I think with the raised bed, they are just really thirsty. I know when I'm outside in this above 85 heat for too long, I get thirsty!! Thanks for asking!

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic 1st time garden...dying! Need advice. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page