campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  05:38:16 AM  Show Profile
What do you use for an all purpose cleaner for counters, vanities, and such?

Erin

Farmgirl #190

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  05:46:27 AM  Show Profile
I have three that I use and any of them would work fine as an all purpose cleaner. They are Borax, Baking Soda and vinegar.
I actually had to go through all of my glasses in the cabinet last week and do a vinegar rinse on them to get off the white build-up from dishwasher residue. Now that I am out of dishwasher tabs I have mixed up a batch of homemade dishwasher "detergent". So far it is working great!

I also use lemon oil to polish my furniture.

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/

Although no one can go back and make a brand new start; anyone can start from now
and make a brand new end.
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  05:53:57 AM  Show Profile
I use vinegar and BS for just about everything, too. Great idea, Christina, for getting the dishwasher junk off the glasses.....off to collect all my glasses that are now opaque.....

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  06:06:35 AM  Show Profile
I used a tip I read here somewhere and filled the rinse agent compartment with white vinegar this last time - it has worked great! No more expensive rinse agent for me!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  08:47:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yup! Vinegar, baking soda and a little homemade soap is about all I need to keep a house sparkling clean. If you want an all purpose spray cleaner- mix up a spray bottle with water, one part vinegar and about half a teaspoon of dish washing liquid. That will cut grease and get rid of residues left behind by commercial cleaners.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  11:37:03 AM  Show Profile
I keep setting out my vinegar and BS to glare at my house, but the house isn't responding with sparkles. What are you doing different, Alee? ;)

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  12:12:29 PM  Show Profile
Alee do you have to rinse once you spray? Or do you just wipe with a damp cloth?

Erin

Farmgirl #190
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  12:15:09 PM  Show Profile
Christina, What do you use for dishwasher detergent? I'm about to get a dishwasher and want septic friendly products to use.

Erin

Farmgirl #190
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  1:46:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Erin- Nope! It's amazing because when I first found that recipe, I thought "Dish soap? Am I going to have to rinse?" But the dish soap is so dispersed in the mixture, all it does is help and the mixture leaves your windows so shiny! You won't believe it! BTW- less dish soap in this case, is more.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  2:18:48 PM  Show Profile
for the dishwashing soap I mix 1 c. of borax and 1 c. of washing soda. It takes 1-2 tablespoons depending on if you rinse your dishes prior to putting them in the dishwasher. Then I add vinegar in the hole that is for jet-dry. They have been coming out clean as a whistle!

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195

Although no one can go back and make a brand new start; anyone can start from now
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  3:47:08 PM  Show Profile
Christine,
How long have you been using this??? I have used this mixture & when I first started out I was pleased, but the longer I used it the worse it got. My glass dishes all had a thick residue on them that I would have to re-wash to get off & I was DILIGENT about using vinegar in the rinse cycle. I am ashamed to admit it, but I finally bought some commercial junk that boasts no phosphates & dishes are once again clean. If anyone has a healthier option, I would love to try it, but after 4-5 months of using the borax/washing soda with vinegar rinse, I had to re-wash half of my dishes & thought, why am I doing this??? We do not have particularly hard water either. Any suggestions??
Go to Top of Page

iloveprims
True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

TRACY
Phillipsburg NJ
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  6:30:19 PM  Show Profile  Send iloveprims a Yahoo! Message
Anyone have a recipe for the vinegar and BS cleaner? I've heard so much about them just dont know how to mix them. TIA!

http://wantingtobeme.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  9:06:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Tracey- When vinegar and baking soda are mixed, they create a chemical reaction that neutralizes each other. If you need foaming action, mix in equal parts, vinegar first, then baking soda (to clear drains and such) if clogged, or baking soda first then vinegar is a drain is running slowly. Follow with hot water.

Other wise, just sprinkle baking soda on a counter top and scrub/wipe with a wet cloth to get a scouring powder action and a fresh scent.

Use vinegar/water/dish liquid listed in previous post for general cleaner and shiny surface cleaner.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  06:00:30 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, I have only been using it a month or so now. I haven't had any build-up. A friend of mine accidentally used baking soda instead of washing soda, she didn't know there was a difference when I gave her the recipe, and she said she had a some residue. I she doesn't rinse her dishes either and only runs a load every other day or so.
Is it possible you were using too much of it per load? Once a month I also run an empty load with just vinegar to freshen the dishwasher up.

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  08:46:58 AM  Show Profile
Christine, I've tried all sorts of amounts & periodically run a vinegar cycle. I got online last night & found a few additional recipes, one calls for 1 1/2 cups Borax & 1/4 cup citric acid. One is Borax only, & one is baking soda mixed with a little dishwashing soap. I will experiment & see. It seems to be the general concensus on the Borax washing soda combo, that most have the residue. Hopefully you will continue to have good luck!!
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic All purpose cleaner Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page