campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2008 :  06:18:13 AM  Show Profile
How do you get rid of pesky fruit flys? I am being invaded!

Erin

Farmgirl #190

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2008 :  06:40:02 AM  Show Profile
First get rid of what is attracting them then try putting vinegar into a bowl near where they are congrigating. The vinegar will attract them and they will drown. If they are really bad you need to look around for eggs and get rid of those as well or they will keep coming back.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2008 :  06:41:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
First, find out why they are in your house. Do you have a rotting potato? Do you have a bunch of sweet drinks being left out?

Then an easy way to trap them is take 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup water, 1/4 cup sugar. Mix into a mason jar or some other container that has a smallish mouth. Then take a plastic bottle and make your own clear funnel out of the top. Insert this into the mason jar or the mid and bottom portion of the plastic bottle that you just separated the top from. The fruit flies fly down the clean funnel to get to the "yummy" liquid below and can't get out.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2008 :  06:58:06 AM  Show Profile
I second the apple cider vinegar. I put it in a cup or bowl, add a small drop of dish soap, and by the end of the day almost all the fruit flies are dead in the bowl/cup. Works every time!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

simplypaige
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Paige
IN
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2008 :  3:18:55 PM  Show Profile
I too had fruit flies lately. I did the apple cider and vinegar. I caught alot of the liitle guys. However I could not find the source of what was causing them. Someone recommended using drain cleaner. I did and they were pretty much gone in a day.
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  11:50:02 AM  Show Profile
Do you mean drain cleaner in a dish or down the drain? The apple cider vinegar is working. I still see some buzzing around.

Erin

Farmgirl #190
Go to Top of Page

simplypaige
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Paige
IN
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  5:18:09 PM  Show Profile
Erin, just pour it in the drain. I assume there must have been something trapped in my drain, because I had tried everything and this solved my problem.

Paige
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  12:51:37 PM  Show Profile
I am going to try the vinegar to get rid of horse flies. Those things bite!
Have a great day girls.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

SandyJ
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Sandra
Waitsburg WA
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  2:56:55 PM  Show Profile
We always have a glass of red wine on the window sill when the knats get bad. It's in a pretty glass and looks just right and I guess the knats like it as well as we do.
SandyJ
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  10:35:33 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by babysmama

I second the apple cider vinegar. I put it in a cup or bowl, add a small drop of dish soap, and by the end of the day almost all the fruit flies are dead in the bowl/cup. Works every time!
-Elizabeth

I use this also, and it works like a charm. They fly into the vinegar, and the dishsoap coats their wings and makes it too hard to fly out of the vinegar, and they drown.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

chickabella
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

D. A.
Austin... ish, Texas
177 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  12:44:38 PM  Show Profile
To cut down the smell, you could also use half cider vinegar and half water. The few drops of soap is important: the soap weakens the surface tension of the water, so the fruit-flies and gnats cannot "stand" on the surface. They'll sink.

I've also found that a soap/water solution in a spray bottle will kill ants right away. Since the surface tension of the water is weakened, the water will make its way into the ant's breathing/noses, and will drown them. Without the soap, the water tension is such that it doesn't go into their tiny "nose holes", and they can swim out of it.

I use a bucket of water/soap (biodegradable) mixture on the fire ant hills that pop up around the animal pens. Works like a charm.

[got the info on the whole "water tension" issue by a wildlife biologist]

Farm blog: http://farmnatters.blogspot.com
Tips blog: http://allingoodhealth.blogspot.com
Heart of Texas Farmgirls Chapter: www.maryjanesfarm.org/HenHouseSnitz/default.asp?CAT_ID=46

Edited by - chickabella on Jul 26 2008 12:48:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  5:28:34 PM  Show Profile
I had a very bad fruit fly problem last year...the apple cider vinegar trick really, really works. Just put some in a shallow bowl, with a small squirt of dish soap and you'll be amazed what you get.

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  05:34:34 AM  Show Profile
Well I found where they are coming from. Our aluminum can bucket. Outside it went. The fruit flies stayed behind.:( I think they're mulitplying. Back for more cider vinegar!!

Erin

Farmgirl #190
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Fruit Flies Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page