Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Pyper
Sandy Utah
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  8:57:45 PM  Show Profile
Ladies,
I need help. I am confused on what the difference is. I have 13 heads of purple cabbage and want to do the sauerkraut recipe in the ICL book of maryjanes- page 140. Can anyone clear this up for me?
Barngirl #217

Be,Want and Share the blessing :>

LindaMAlbert
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Linda
Belgrade Montana
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  11:33:20 AM  Show Profile
Fermentation is a controlled lactic acid production process. The addition of salt to the mixture keeps the spoilage producing bacteria under control until the lactic acid producing bacteria, the same that make yogurt and cheese, to take over. Once they do the lactic acid itself preserves the product under the right temperature conditions.
Pickling usually involves the addition of vinegar and the results must be canned and water bath sterilized to keep.
Krauting is generally something I do in the fall when my kitchen temperatures start to stay in the 60 to 70 degree range as the process takes 6 to 8 weeks. I choose the less salt and addition of whey drained from a batch of active culture yogurt to jumpstart the lactic acid producing bacteria method to keep the sodium content of the finished kraut down but if you are a beginner the full salt ratio method, 2 tsp/pound cabbage, might be the better place to start. Just make sure you wash your utensils and fermentation crock well and triple rinse with very, very hot, boiling if you can manage it water. Shred your cabbage finely and stomp vigorously to break down the cell walls and release the juices; I use the end of a big plain non-handled rolling pin. Use kosher or sea salt with no added anti caking ingredients like cornstarch.
I use a plastic beer fermentation bucket with a vapor lock lid so I don't to worry about contamination from the air since I have two dogs and don't want to go through the washing and changing the cloth thing. The bucket is also the right diameter to use a dinner plate and a large well scrubbed and sterilized rock in a plastic zip-lock bag to keep the cabbage submerged in its juices.
Hope this helps.

There is no faith which has never yet been broken except that of a truly faithful dog.
~Konrad Lorenz
Go to Top of Page

Barngirl
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Pyper
Sandy Utah
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  3:18:55 PM  Show Profile
Fabulous!
Thank you for taking the time to walk me through this. I will buy a beer container and follow your details. I have a question. After the 6-8 weeks and that depends on the bubbles no forming when it's done-right? Do you then rince and pack in bottles/lids/screw tops and process it in a steam/water bath? If so how long is the process?
Barngirl #217

Be,Want and Share the blessing :>
Go to Top of Page

LindaMAlbert
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Linda
Belgrade Montana
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2008 :  7:35:01 PM  Show Profile
Pyper,
Sorry for the delay in reply, I've been away from the computer for a few days. At the end of 6 to 8 weeks open up the container and taste it. Consider the texture as well. The longer kraut ferments the softer it gets as well. I also like caraway seed and juniper berries in my kraut. Do not rinse before storage, if you want you can rinse the kraut before eating or cooking with it. Canning is one way to preserve it, but I prefer to bag and freeze it as canning will kill the active cultures, though the lactic acid will still be preserved. I I had a root or cold cellar like MaryJane I would just store it in the bucket, covered in its own liquid. You have two options for canning, hot pack and cold pack.
Canning Procedure:
Raw-Pack Method
1.) Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
2.) Pack sauerkraut, with brine, into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding brine. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
3.) Process quart jars in a boiling water canner for 20 minutes and pints 25 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.

Hot-Pack Method
1.) Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
2.) Bring sauerkraut, with brine, to a simmer over medium-high heat in a large stainless steel saucepan. Do not boil. Pack hot sauerkraut and brine into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding more brine. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
3.) Process jars in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.

VERY IMPORTANT!!
You have to adjust the processing times for altitude
1,000 to 3,000 feet above sea level--add 5 minutes
3,000 to 6,000 feet above sea level--add 10 minutes
6,000 to 8,000 feet above sea level--add 15 minutes

Hope this helps. Happy Krauting!
Linda

There is no faith which has never yet been broken except that of a truly faithful dog.
~Konrad Lorenz
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Fermentation vs Pickling? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page