Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  8:02:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Randy Pausch, when finding out he had pancreatic cancer, set out to give his colleges students one last lecture- one that would hopefully impact them for the rest of their life. He was on Oprah and other TV shows and even got a book publish. He has recently passed away after an almost 3 year battle with cancer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  8:20:42 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Yes, I saw that the other day. His lecture is resonating with me a lot this week. I believe he is another "God" wink for me this week. I send blessings and prayers to his family.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  8:29:38 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I have 2 copies of his book, one I gave away as a blessing. His life that he lived was full of good blessings and passing blessings onto others, he did so much in his short life.

AngiKay
www.angikay.etsy.com

Be strong and Courageous. Jos. 1:9

Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  8:43:41 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
I've read alot about this. My sister-in-law actually went to the college he did this at (or at least gave a lecture about this, from what I understand?) and he really has touched me and so many in alot of ways. I hope his family is doing alright, my prayers go out to them ..

http://maggie.ecrater.com
http://maggiemerch.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  9:46:20 PM  Show Profile
Hey Alee, I knew about this also. This is so sad.

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  9:46:48 PM  Show Profile
God Bless him and his family. He was such a brave man.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  9:50:52 PM  Show Profile
I saw him on 20/20 or something like that. He was amazing. I have had his book on order from the library forever.
I will pray for him and his family in my prayers.
Such a gentleman.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  06:10:43 AM  Show Profile
I saw his lecture on the internet awhile back. What an amazing and loving man he was. He was definitely an inspiration to so many people, myself included.

My prayers go out to his family, and may all of the wonderful memories they have of him give them peace and healing.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  8:40:39 PM  Show Profile
I saw him on Oprah, I was so moved by him and his great courage and determination to live his life well, no matter what time he had left. He was an inspiration and a wake up call to all who watched and listened to him. I often thought of him when things weren't going so well, and I thought, get over it, he would give anything to live and just have an ordinary bad day. I wish his family the peace he tried to leave them with and the knowledge he lived such a good life.

MJ

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  08:25:37 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Alee! I got it on cd and listened to it on my way to and from work. Excellent! I want to listen to it again, and make sure I didn't miss anything.

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  08:34:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh man, I couldn't listen to it driving. I always start bawling my eyes out! LOL! I am so silly sometimes!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  09:07:48 AM  Show Profile
ABC tonight (7-29) i believe they are having a special on his life and his last lecture.

AngiKay
www.angikay.etsy.com

Be strong and Courageous. Jos. 1:9

Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page

Peg Graham
True Blue Farmgirl

281 Posts

Peg
Chesapeake Virginia
USA
281 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  06:22:40 AM  Show Profile
I posted about Randy on my blog...a few posts down. He lived here in Chesapeake when he passed away Friday. Watched the special on him last night. He was an amazing man.

miles of smiles~
Peg
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  07:27:41 AM  Show Profile
I watched the Diane Sawyer special with Randy and his family last night. I've seen him before on Oprah too, but wow, he had an impact on many people through his willingness to share his experience and positive attitude. His wife has a super outlook with the "I have enough" adage and "it is what it is" statement. Troopers.

Isn't it interesting how many people are trying to get famous and public attention through fake body parts and reality show contests and such and then a person going through the human experience can inspire and become a household name and will impact who knows how many lives? It gives me hope that the important and real things in life will always persevere. God bless him and his family.

Jami in WA

Okay, so now I have a blog. http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  08:19:33 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
ha! and who says that one person cannot impact the world?

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

"Despite the gardener's best intentions, Nature will improvise. ~Michael P. Garafalo
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  08:42:58 AM  Show Profile
Jami, I couldn't have said it better....you hit the nail right on the head. I've seen his lecture on t.v. and read the book and gave it to my daughter. that is definitely a RE-READ book.....a plan for a well-lived and giving life by truly being yourself. When did he die? I missed the show last night...I didn't even turn on t.v. yesterday....there's rarely anything worth watching but then when there is I miss it! Prayers and love and peace going out to his family and friends and all of us "lost" but we are better for having been at least exposed to him and his family and his life. At least I KNOW I am. Thank you Randy, what a positive contribution you made during your lifetime.

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  3:10:39 PM  Show Profile
Jami, youare so right. He was amazing. I went online as soon as I saw the first special months ago and then bought the book. Sending it to my cousin. I had the book on my desk when in AR lately. That reminder to have fun.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  3:16:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It's a great reminder to live life, isn't it? I think sometimes we get so caught up in our daily routine that we can get a bit blinded to the wonder around us. Having a toddler around is great because I get constantly reminded of how new everything is to her and how wondrous something as simple as mud can be!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  3:33:38 PM  Show Profile
Laurie....where were you in AR? I was just like you too...saw the special and ordered the book but that was months ago and had notheard he had died. Does anyone know exactly what day?

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  07:35:11 AM  Show Profile
I wouldn't have known he died either if I hadn't come across that show while dozing off in bed. I think he realized the impact he was having on people because of the response he was getting from the media even though he did not set out to do that. There is some sort of simple beauty about the whole thing that I can't explain--not the dying part of course but the living through it part.

Guess it reminded me that we impact others whether we plan to or not by our words and attitude--right where we are too...we don't have to be rich or famous or on TV to make a little ripple in our own pond. Makes ya think, doesn't it?

Jami in WA

Okay, so now I have a blog. http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic The Last Lecture- Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page