Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  7:26:19 PM  Show Profile
Half of our town..youth and youth leaders are going on a pioneer trek in wyoming this next week and a friend called to see if I would check on his cow, Sugar while he and his wife and 4 oldest kids are gone (half or our family is going too..not me though) and so I said sure..he was worried that she was due to calf any day and he would be gone so he thought if I could just go by and check a couple times a day and then if she did calve (he thought it was doubtful) while he was gone I could milk her out twice a day. So...youngest daughter and I went over to meet Sugar and see the set up..which isn't much..a hitching post and a bucket and rope pretty much. He said there would be grain. Sugar is a lovely cow..looks alot like Mona..only of course not as perfect. She dosn't have horns and was just a delight..very sweet and gentle..so we were getting ready to leave..have left the field and gone through the gate.when something caught Wayne's eye...Sugar and went back over to the tree she was under when we came out to the field and a newborn calf was with her!! It was a pretty little heifer calf jersey/angus and all dry and walking well so she had to be born earlier in the day!!
So..Monday thru thursday I will be milking twice a day for them. Too bad it will be all colostrum!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  7:30:31 PM  Show Profile
How interesting. Did you name the calf? Sugar is lucky to have a baby-setter like you. What is colostrum Jenny? Is that milk for the calf? I don't know much about cows. I had no idea that female cows could have horns. I learn something new ever day. And-- can you imagine, I am a want-to-be farm girl. Thank goodness I only have 2 acres, and 7 cats and one dog. LOL
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  8:30:17 PM  Show Profile
You know what Marly..you have more property than I do!! I have one perfect milkcow, Mona (she is a Jersey and is 4 years old) I have had her for nearly 3 years now...got her when she was carrying her first calf.
Colostrum is the first milk...very thick, yellowish and rich and full of stuff for the calf. I don't drink it until at least a week has passed. YOu can tell when it is regular milk..gets alot whiter and thinner. I feed mine to the chickens or other animals after freezing some for animal birth emergencies. ...it is really important that the calf gets it.
Yep...cows can have horns...cows or bulls..and some are born never to have them..cows are bulls. Mona has horns but her daughter Evelyn..who now belongs to our farmgirl Libbie was born polled. (will never have horns) Goats are like that too. I always LOVED when my goats were polled. Saves trouble.
I think the guy's little 6 year old son was going to name the calf..he was trying to talk his dad into letting her name be "kitty" when we left..haha. I will have to see what her name is later.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  9:53:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Awww! What a sweet happy addition to the day. I love new born calves. They are so doe-eyed and sweet. They just love everybody if given a second.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  11:17:29 PM  Show Profile
I thought of a perfect name for that calf if they havn't already named her Kitty!!...Mollasses! Her mom is named Brown Sugar (they call her Sugar) and her grandma cow was called Honey...she (the calf) is a rich mahogany color...like perfect mollasses. I will have to tell them.
She has such a pretty Jersey face. I love calves too!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  01:33:04 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
awww so sweet *grin* i think molasses woudl be a perfect name! they could call her lass for short. i hope the owners agree. keep us posted! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  05:48:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is so sweet! Can you take a picture of little "Molasses" today?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  06:17:59 AM  Show Profile
Wow! What a surprise! I so wish I could have a cow. But my "rebel hens" are already pushing things here. ;)
Keep us posted on Molasses! (Or Kitty.)

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  06:48:19 AM  Show Profile
Mona may get jealous!

I think that if a mortal ever heard the voice of God, it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. (F. Moore)

Patsy

Go to Top of Page

countrygrace
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Grace
Salkum WA
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  07:25:08 AM  Show Profile
Jenny,
I agree, what a wonderful suprise for the day. They are so cute at this age. Molasses is a very perfect name for her. They did get the best cow sitter in town to take care of a new momma & baby! Have a great weekend.
Tell Mona hello for me. She is a perfect cow.
Grace

"From Our Heart With Our Hands"

http://home.earthlink.net/~daveandgrace/
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  08:20:00 AM  Show Profile
Oh I want one ! I have wanted a cow for so long. I remember when i was little my granny had baby calves and I got to take the bid ole bottles down to the fence and let them eat. Boy what fun but you sure did have to hold on tight because they would pull them right out of your hand. I would love for my boys to be able to experience that and would love to do it again myself! Id love to see pics too! Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  10:10:59 AM  Show Profile
I don't start milking until Monday morning..but I will sure take a picture of them then. YES>..Mona would be jealous for sure if they were in the same field/pen...she won't even share me with the sheep when I am out there. Good thing they are a mile away..haha.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  11:18:06 AM  Show Profile
Jenny:
You taught me something new today. I love learning new things. Thanks for the info on the cows milk/horns. I am on my way to share that news with my hubby. I am anxious to see a picture of the cow and calf. I'll check in often to see if there is a picture. Jenny, thanks again.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  12:24:52 AM  Show Profile
I added some pictures of Sugar the cow and her calf that my kids and I are calling Mollasses...we don't know her "real" name yet. They are on my blog..just click on the link below. Only one more day of milking her...she has been just as good as gold. Very nice cow. Not as perfect as Mona mind you...but a sweetheart for sure.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  06:43:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow! Look at that udder on that cow!! You much have a grip of steel, Aunt Jenny!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  11:20:56 AM  Show Profile
My hands are for sure sore today..the last day of milking her. They fell asleep alot last night too...I am out of practice!! Mona has been dry for a couple months already and I am weak..haha.
When I went to milk this morning The cow, calf and all three big mutant stupid sheep (including a very mean ram that I honestly carry a big stick to protect myself with when I go in the field) were out and I had to herd them back in and fix their lousy fence. I tell ya....I am getting too old for that kind of running round workout..haha. But we got it done. I was glad to have my two 11 year olds with me to hold fences and stuff...after I got that ram out to the field away from them.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

countrygrace
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Grace
Salkum WA
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  07:14:23 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing the cow sitting with us. Little calves are so cute...It reminds me of my grandpa. Every year we had a new friend to play with out in the field. Grace

"From Our Heart With Our Hands"

http://home.earthlink.net/~daveandgrace/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  8:23:28 PM  Show Profile
I wish I could keep Mona's calf this year. I still havn't decided for sure what to do with it. I sold her last two to people I knew. Libbie has Evelyn..her heifer calf from last year..so I can visit her..that is nice. Unfortunatly her first calf 2 and 1/2 years ago was a bull calf...so he isn't "around" town any more. I always hope like heck for girls!!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Cowsitting Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page