Aunt T
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Tricia
Robinson Illinois
USA
73 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  4:47:57 PM  Show Profile
My sister suffers from severe low magnesium levels and has been doctoring it for some time. They cannot figure why she keeps losing it, and I was looking for some insight and help from others who may have suffered as well. She can hardly lead a normal life being fatigued and worn down affecting her mentally and physically. Thanks for your input!
~Tricia

Wish It, Dream It, Do It!

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  7:13:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Tricia-

Does she take magnesium supplements? My mom does as she was deficient as well. Also have her look into eating more potassium as they often work together.

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/magnesium.asp

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt T
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Tricia
Robinson Illinois
USA
73 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  7:50:39 PM  Show Profile
Alee,
My sister uses a magnesium lotion that out doctor gave her. I will inform her of the potassium connection which I am pretty sure she already takes. It is hard to see her go through so much on a daily basis. She has had to get magnesium intravenously twice in the past year. Thank you for your advice, I will pass it on!
~Tricia

Wish It, Dream It, Do It!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  10:00:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Has she tried taking the magnesium tablets as well? You can get them at Wal-Mart or any drug store.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  12:05:40 AM  Show Profile
Your sister should check with her doctor before adding any other supplements to her diet as some people go from one extreme to the other. They start with low levels, then end up with HIGH levels. Some seemingly "Harmless" supplements are actually VERY dangerous if not monitored closely. High Potassium levels are LETHAL, so people must be extremely careful with those supplements (it's actually Potassium that is injected into prisoners during a "Lethal injection." It's also what the vet gives animals to put them to "sleep." It stops the heart) I've never heard of Magnesium being dangerous, but it doesn't hurt to discuss it with a doctor.

I know a lot of ladies here are not FOND of the men (and women) in white coats, but having been on BOTH sides of the fence, there really IS a time to see a physician. It's better to be safe than sorry and, like I used to tell my patients (I'm an MA by trade) "you're not married to them. If you don't like what they say, or how they treat you, find a new doctor!!!" There ARE some very good ones out there.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic severe low magnesium Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page