lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  3:14:13 PM  Show Profile
I am baking some right this very minute...well actually it's rising right now but it will be baking soon enough! It's on it's second rise so far. I love baking bread so much! I do it completely by hand without a machine or even a mixer. My arm is kind of sore but it is great to make something edible by hand! I love eating it! I can't wait! Does anyone else bake bread? Have a nice day ladies!

Chelsey

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  3:50:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love baking bread too! Sometimes I will mix and knead it all by hand. Sometimes though, I let my Kitchen-Aid have the sore arm!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  3:56:13 PM  Show Profile
I love to bake bread! I am like you, I do mine entirely by hand also. Currently we are on a sourdough kick, so I made that yesterday.

Caron

"Praise God from whom all blessings flow"

Farmgirl Sister #254
Heart of Texas Farmgirl Chapter
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  5:31:47 PM  Show Profile
i love baking bread, sometimes I cheat and use the bread machine but sometimes I do it by hand! It's very relaxing to me even though arms get really tired.

AngiKay
www.angikay.etsy.com

Be strong and Courageous. Jos. 1:9

Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page

LindaMAlbert
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Linda
Belgrade Montana
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  6:29:01 PM  Show Profile
I am an absolutely dedicated bread baker. I'm convinced it's one of the most basic things people can do for themselves to take back our health and food independence out of the hands of the agi-business industry. I've baked my family's bread for 28 years now. I use a 6 qt KitchenAid now, wore a out a Bosch though it made 2 six loaf batches or more a week for more than 25 years. I often joked that a bread machine would just slow me down. Now that my children are grown I only bake a 3 loaf batch or so a week. Wheat Montana is just 30 miles away so I buy their new strain of 'white' wheat and grind it just before baking with a Magic Mill, purchased way back with the Bosch. My basic recipe was just fresh flour, water, salt, honey, oil and yeast. But I love baking 'old world' breads like challah, pumpernickel and sourdough breads. I have a lot of bread recipe books, my favorites being Bread Alone, the village Baker, Great Breads and Beth Hensperger's baking books. My family loves the White Fog Bread with quinoa. It's great to have a grain mill because I can grind any combination of grain I need fresh. There's nothing like the smell of bread baking or the taste of fresh homemade bread.

There is no faith which has never yet been broken except that of a truly faithful dog.
~Konrad Lorenz
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  11:27:41 PM  Show Profile
So the bread turned out wonderful! I love fresh baked bread. I don;t know if it is because I have been gone for a while and without fresh home baked bread...but this batch is some of the best I've made. It is just a simple recipe I learned from my grandpa and I mixed white and wheat flour for a nice mix. It's divine! My arms were tired but it was well worth it!

Caron, I haven't tried to make sourdough yet but I would love to. My family loves sourdough. I just got a good recipe book and it has a sourdough bread recipe in it. I think I will try it out!

Linda, thanks so much for the bread book names! They sound really good! You bake bread a lot...that is great! I wish I had more time to bake more bread...it just tastes so good and gets eaten by everyone so fast!

Chelsey
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  11:36:23 PM  Show Profile
I love baking bread too..my favorite and the one I bake as our "everyday" bread is Honey wheat, but I have an oatmeal bread recipe that I love too. I grind the wheat fresh usually once a week and keep in the fridge until I need it (a #10 can..about a gallon) of wheat at a time.
I just feel like it is just a nice thing we can do for our family. Even the worst homemade bread I have made is a zillion times as good as storebought bread. I try hard to not buy bread if I can help it. It has been SO hot here that I have been a slacker about turning on the oven this week though.I bet your house smells heavenly right now!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  06:51:44 AM  Show Profile
AHHHH...Nothing like the smell of bread cooking! I love making bread. Made 2 loves yesterday, I grind my own flour too. I made a kamut/wheatbread yesterday and it is killing me to not slice off the end and try it! It is for this week and the rule is the cut loaf must be finished first. Thank goodness it is almost finished!! We live about 45 minutes away from Bob's Red Mill and I will be making a trip up there today, it is just like a toy store for me. Linda I agree it is something simple that people can do for themselves. Linda, (or anyone) what do you use for a sourdough starter? I tried using wheat flour and it just flopped. We would love a good sourdough here!

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  07:57:35 AM  Show Profile
I am going to try flat bread next week to go with our hummus.. but I am going to experiment with using part lentil flour for the part of the wheat flour.. We are trying to get as much beans into our diet as possible each day.. I sneak them into our smoothies, we eat them in dips and chilis, and now I will sneak them into the bread.. the kids call me the mad scientist of the kitchen..

Blessings, Debra

"Your life is an occasion, Rise to it." Mr Magorium..
http://myvintagehome.com
http://woolieacres.net
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  11:10:49 AM  Show Profile
Yummy!
I've been baking cinnamon buns this week (I'll do the other half batch today, they get eaten so quickly!). Besides the smell of bread baking, I've decided I really like that yeasty bread smell when it's rising. I was making pizza dough last week- and it just smelled so homey and good.

Ooh, I'd love to try making sourdough or pumpernickel bread one day.

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://quaintandkeepinghouse.blogspot.com New Homekeeping Blog!
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  12:10:32 PM  Show Profile
Hi Meg! I totally agree with you...I definitely love the smell of bread baking but I also really enjoy the smell of the yeast while it rises! It smells delicious!! My bread turned out really divine this time...I mean it always turns out good but this time it is close to perfect!

Chelsey
Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  12:21:51 PM  Show Profile
I love baking bread too! It is theraputic to actually stand and knead the dough. Some of my favorite recipes come from the books Breaking Bread by Father Dominic. He used to do a series on PBS years ago. Also the sourdough recipe in MaryJane's Idea book is great as well. My family doesn't care for the brown wheat nearly as much as the naturally white variety so when I do my sourdoughwith the wheat I add a bit of honey to it.

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/

Although no one can go back and make a brand new start; anyone can start from now
and make a brand new end.
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  12:03:02 AM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
okay, since this is the bread thread... will someone pleeeease give me a good bread recipe that will wow my husband??? :D

http://maggie.ecrater.com
http://maggiemerch.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LindaMAlbert
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Linda
Belgrade Montana
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  12:04:37 PM  Show Profile
Lillian,
I made my sourdough starter with freshly ground organic rye grains and water. Rye ferments easier than wheat and actually contains the organisms that do the work. 1 cup rye flour to 1 cup water. Has to be good well or spring water for this whole process, not city tap water because of the chlorine. Let sit covered on kitchen counter where it will be between 60 and 75 degrees. Check after 24 hours to see if it has bubbles forming on the top and if it is starting to develop a sourdough like smell. Check it again after another 24 hours. There should now definitely be bubbles or a layer of froth. Stir it down and feed it by stirring in another 1 cup freshly ground rye flour and 1 cup spring water. Cover and let sit for another 24 hours. Take 1/4 cup of this mixture and add to a fresh mixture of 1/1 rye flour and water and repeat the incubation period. Make pancakes with the leftover initial starter.
When you have gone through another second feeding with this new batch of ferment, you can start converting it to regular unbleached flour or whole wheat flour by mixing 1/2 cup of starter into a 1/1 mixture of your desired type of flour and water and letting it incubate. The starter may be a little balky about converting to a new type of growth medium and you may have to go through several incubations before you get a vigorous culture. What you want to see is lots or bubbles or a layer of clear sour almost alcoholic liquid, called 'hooch' by the way, on top of the batter after 24 hours incubation. Now its ready to use in any sourdough recipe. To store, put 1 cup of a refreshed starter in a sealed 1 pint canning jar in the fridge and refresh it weekly. For a longer time between use, you can make a very stiff dough with your starter and flour and refrigerate. This desem type starter can go longer between feedings, but needs additional time to rejuvenate into a working starter, by letting it sit in a jar of tepid water to just cover for 24 hours to soften and activate it before feeding it with the regular water/flour mix and letting incubate for another 24 hours. Happy baking!
Linda

There is no faith which has never yet been broken except that of a truly faithful dog.
~Konrad Lorenz
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  12:20:47 PM  Show Profile
Chelsey,

I sure appreciate a good bread maker!

Our good, earthy neighbors moved this spring, and I especailly miss being able to walk down the road and pay a friend for her excellent bread! Panera and Harvest Grain are ok, but you still can't beat home made!!!!

Enjoy. I am so envious. And I do have recipes, but it's not the same when someone such as yourself knows what they are doing. It's almost an art form.

Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  8:09:59 PM  Show Profile
Meg, will you share your pizza crust recipe? I had been using organic spelt, but I am not doing something right. It turns out a heavy thick crust and we like out pizza to have a thin crust. Any suggestions, advice? I am willing to try another type of flour if I need to.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  07:29:48 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Linda- I am printing off your instructions right now!

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  09:27:45 AM  Show Profile
Each of my bread dough batches bakes 3 small loaves. We are already on our last loaf!! My family loves the bread so much! There is always someone eating it...I will have to make more soon. Baking your own bread is in my opinion completely better than buying it at the store. I do buy the flour from the grocery store because I never thought to grind my own flour. How do you do that? Where do you get the flour to grind?

For Christmas this year I plan to bake a loaf of bread and some cookies for the people on my list as well as make some special handknits and such. I am already planning now because I know it will creep up fast!

I will post my recipe soon. I don't know if it is very good, but the bread always turns out delicious! My grandpa gave me the recipe.

Chelsey

Farmgirl Sister #283
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4234 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4234 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  11:43:39 AM  Show Profile
Just finished baking 5 loaves of sour dough bread. I use a 6 quart Kitchen Aid Mixer. Got it for Christmas, as my old k.a. died after almost 20 years. This bigger one is nice for doing larger batches of bread.
I usually make sour dough, or honey oatmeal bread. Potatoe bread is good too.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  12:32:27 PM  Show Profile
I Love making bread.. It is so much better than store-bought , I think.. I remember my mother making bread when I was a little girl, Gosh there is nothing better than the smell of fresh baked bread.. Makes me want to make a couple loaves now... I do not own a bread machine...anymore.. I prefer to make it grandma's way..

Keep life simple, to Simply live. Life is too short to worry about it.
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  12:41:48 PM  Show Profile
I would love some bread recipes. I am new to it. Have always bought the frozen kind you thaw but recently have got this inkling to make it fresh.....I love Sourdough the best. I have a bread maker but also have 2 mini loaf stoneware pans that hold 4 loaves at one time. Is there a certain pan I should use?

Kim
Go to Top of Page

KatyDo
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Kaye
Uintah UT
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  2:20:27 PM  Show Profile
I love everything about homemade bread especially that fresh aroma in the house. My sis is an excellent cook and she gave me the best recipe for rolls, make the dough, let rise once, pinch down, put it in frig overnight, let rise again, bake. Great time saver at Thanksgiving.
KatyDO

Follow Your Bliss
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  05:37:35 AM  Show Profile
Bread is one of my favorite things to bake. I'm getting ready to try my own recipe for a cinnamon blueberry bread that can be used as French Toast. I have one I got from Country Living years ago called a Whole Wheat Cinnamon Raisin Bread. It's very dense and not really great for just slicing and eating out of the oven, but oh, made into French Toast it is wonderful! I usually make several loaves at Christmas to give away as gifts. If this Blueberry Bread works, I'll do the same! Hey, Kim, if you want some bread recipes, email me with your address and I'll send you some. I love my stoneware pans for baking breads best, but any good quality pan will work!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

LindaMAlbert
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Linda
Belgrade Montana
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  06:44:56 AM  Show Profile
Brenda,
Try using half the water and half the spelt flour in the recipe to make a starter. Mix them well and let sit covered overnight. Next day add the yeast to the starter to bloom, the rest of the recipe for your crust.
Linda

~Konrad Lorenz
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  07:38:57 AM  Show Profile
I too am a baker through and through, HOWEVER, I have to take baking vacations because I also love to eat what I bake....sheesh. I can pack on the pounds with all of those carbs. A vacation is like 2-3 days... because I can't hold out long!

Jami in WA

Okay, so now I have a blog. http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  08:42:36 AM  Show Profile
Julie, Would you mind sending me that blueberry bread recipe?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Boy do I like to bake bread! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page