sdleah
True Blue Farmgirl

93 Posts

Leah
Pittsburg TX
USA
93 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  11:51:17 AM  Show Profile
I have an opportunity through Freecycle to get a lot of free blueberries. I know that I want to freeze quite a few for smoothies and treats through the winter, but what are some good recipes for jams/preserves/desserts that I could make? My hubby isn't a huge fan of blueberry jam because of the tough skins, but could I make jelly?

I'd like to try drying some...anyone know how I could do that without a dehydrator? I have a non-electric food dryer that you just hang in the sun, or maybe I could use my oven.

Leah
wife to the greatest guy in the world
Mom to Ethan, 4 yrs. old, Philip, 23 months, and our holiday baby due December 4th

www.narrowgatemorgans.com

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  5:01:55 PM  Show Profile
You could try spreading them out on an old-but clean window screen. the trick is that the air will circulate around the berries. Or try to overn thing: I'd do 20 minutes at 200-250 degrees and keep checking it from there on. The thing is taking them out of the oven right before their done so you dont break a tooth on them! Here are a couple recipes that I have on hand: hope they help.

BLUBERRY ICE CREAM SAUCE
1/3 c. sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 TB cornstarch
1 TB lemon juice
16 oz THAWED blueberries AND juice-you need the juice! (2 cups??)

In a saucepan, combine sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch. Add lemon juiceand 1/2 cup reserved blueberry juice. Bring to a boil, reduce and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add berries. Serve over poundcake or ice cream or if you're pregnant eat it straight from saucepan!

LEMON BLUEBERRY BREAD
3 tB SHORTENING
3 Tb butter
1 c. sugar
1TB grated lemon peel
2 eggs
1TB lemon juice
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1cup blueberries
2 TB flour

350 Degrees, prepare your bread pan. Makes a standard 9x5x3 sized loaf. Cream shortening,butter sugar and lemon together. Add eggs and lemon juice. In a seperate bowl sift together all of the dry ingredients with the exception of the 2 TB flour. Blend into creamed mixture with the milk. Toss berries with the 2 TB flour and fold into batter. bake for 50-55 minutes or unitl toothpick comes out clean. These freeze great! Good Luck!

harvest thyme farm & market web site coming soon

Edited by - deeredawn on Jul 25 2008 5:07:55 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic blueberry recipes? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page