dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  05:47:27 AM  Show Profile
I was just wondering if there are other farmgirls here who raise rabbits.

I raised and showed rabbits for over 10 years. Breeds I had were holland lops, netherland dwarfs, and mini rex. I sadly had to get out of the 'rabbit habit' when gas prices and the price of feed got too high. I still have 2 left that are pets though.

In addition to raising/showing rabbits, I've successfully foster mothered numerous wild orphan bunnies that were released back to the wild once they were old enough.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  06:13:16 AM  Show Profile
We used to have Rex bunnies just for pets. Never thought about showing them though. They were soft very soft!! I would someday like to have Angora bunnies, but not sure how well they would tolerate heat and humidity in Louisiana.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  06:53:56 AM  Show Profile
Angoras are beautiful but boy oh boy do they require a lot of fussing over! If you don't keep them brushed at least 1-2 times a day you'll end up with a very messy bunny. And then you have to occassionally burn the fur off the cage bars/floors. I don't know how the folks do it who have lots of them!

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  08:37:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think bunnies are sweet and I think it would be fun to have one as a pet. Not sure how Sky-dog would like that though.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  08:47:26 AM  Show Profile
Alee- When I had my rabbits they were indoors, and I had a 100 lb black lab and a lab/beagle mix. The black lab was very protective over the rabbits, and if anyone came to look at them to purchase he'd sit between the cage and the person looking. Because I also did wild bunny rescues, if he found any baby cottontails in the yard he'd carry them into the house and lay them at my feet! The bunnies weren't very amused, and sometimes it was interesting for me chasing a cottontail around the house to catch and release it back outside. Sadly, we lost our beloved Ali 2 years ago (2 days after Christmas). He was 17 yrs old and his old doggie body just gave up :(

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  09:49:05 AM  Show Profile
Alee:
I have too many cats to own bunnies. But, we do have wild rabbits around the house. I see them mostly in the evening. Some are pretty large. Have a great and happy day!
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl Severeide
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  09:54:38 AM  Show Profile
I raised rabbits gee almost 20 years ago... but not as pets.. We raised them for food.. I must admit it was hard to do but we lived on the farm and survived by raising animals for food... Along with the chickens, pigs and beef cows. We fed them all good and the supplied us with meat.

Life situations and circumstances change quickly, often without notice... Take each challenge with a positive attitude.
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  8:25:13 PM  Show Profile
I would like to someday raise rabbits for food. Maybe for fiber as well, as I've been dyeing yarn lately and would like to try spinning at some point.

http://plumcreekmama.blogspot.com/

http://plumcreekcreations.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  9:20:28 PM  Show Profile
Diana is SOOOOO right about the Angoras! They are the SWEETEST bunnies, but they really ARE a lot of work! Anybody who says otherwise is telling a HUGE FIB!!

I had 3 of them several years ago and what a chore they were! They are terrible at grooming themselves, in fact, they just make a big mess of their fur. You HAVE to brush them EVERY SINGLE DAY. Mine were also on a special diet that was a bit pricey, but I never did have any "Wool Block" issues (bunny hairballs-- which rabbits can't hack up like Cats can!) If someone has the time, not to mention the PATIENCE--- then by all means! Get an Angora! You will so LOOOOOVE it! (or them-- they're like potato chips-- you can't have JUST ONE!!)

I do miss my Angoras (I had English-- loved those little ear tassles!), but I don't miss the endless care they required. We have just a mutt bunny now. A House pet that was only supposed to be here for 3mos, but has been with us 4 (or is it 5?) yrs now. (Long story) When he's gone, I don't think I will have another rabbit. But I have learned to NEVER say NEVER!!! (Maybe I will get one of those Lion Head bunnies I liked so well at the fair......?! he...he...he...!)

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  05:35:13 AM  Show Profile
Lionheads are adorable!

I never had meat rabbits personally, but have eaten rabbit and it's very tasty as well as very good for you. I've always had pet bunnies from the time I was a little girl. I've always loved rabbits and always will.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  7:06:00 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, I saw some babies at the fair and ooooohhhh! TOO CUTE!!! But, I have a bunny right now, so I don't want any more. One rabbit in the house is enough. Our Summers here are SO HOT that it would be too much of a chore trying to keep a rabbit cool outside. (our bunny doesn't know how GOOD he's got it! Air conditioning in the summer, heat in the Winter...) We lost one of our Angoras from the heat-- so HORRIBLE!!! I won't do that to another bunny. So, for now, I will just admire the Lionheads from afar........ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  7:20:42 PM  Show Profile
I have 8 french angora bunnies and yes, they do require some care. Not as much as the English angoras though. So far (knock on wood) they are doing okay... but the heat is really hard on them.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Bunnies anyone? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page