Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 has anyone ever dealt with
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic has anyone ever dealt with Next Topic  

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  10:25:54 PM  Show Profile
a child that has night terrors? My dd, 2, keeps waking up in the night screaming her head off. She wakes up and will scream for us but even when we get in there she isn't fully awake and doesn't usually recognize us.
What causes these things? We just recently moved after a year, could that maybe be that traumatic for her to cause this?
She used to have them when she was little little...not even walking yet, but they went away after a bit. Not they are coming back and she is just miserable. Tired at night and tired during the day.
Sure wish I knew what to do to help!
Jess

Farmgirl Sister #235

http://crshelpmeet-heartssong.blogspot.com/

Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug. -- Mark Twain

des
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Desiree
West Hurley NY
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  10:34:49 PM  Show Profile
My nephew had night terrors everytime he had dairy products, especially ice cream. He was allergic, but no other symptoms had been identified. He eventually grew out of it. I would suggest keeping a food journal and writing down everything he eats. After a few weeks have someone look at it with you and see if there is a pattern. I say have someone look at it with you because often the pattern does not jump out at the mom, but someone removed from the situation can see things differently and offer another perspective.
It is possible that there is something dietary triggering this. I wish you much luck. I know how scary the night terrors can be. My son has had them when he ran high fevers and it is frightening to not be able to wake or comfort your child.

Desiree
Farmgirl Sister #280
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  10:41:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My Nephew had them when he was about that age and grew out of it as well. His trigger was preservative and especially eating out at McDonalds.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  05:20:45 AM  Show Profile
My oldest dd had them when she was young, she outgrew them too. We never pinpointed what triggered them. She has always had sleep issues.

They are horrible though. My heart goes out to you. For my dd they seemed worse when she had an overly active day. Lot's of stimulation - if that makes sense. If we had a family party, or were at a festival, things like that. But then if we had a quiet day she would have a bad one. It was weird.

Now, she just has the sleep issues. Can't fall asleep. Does your son have any sleep issues in general? I'm just curious.

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  10:14:38 PM  Show Profile
that sounds about like my dd, Deb. Anytime we have something that could be potentially stressful for her like a cookout or a day where we are out for the whole day, she seems to get them. Maybe over stimulations or anxiety. She's a nervous little kid for sure. She's the usual symptoms...afraid of the dark, likes routine, favorite items, lately here she has picked up an imaginary friend..i dont much care for it, but its her own little thing she does. i wonder if maybe she has an overactive imagination...shes only 3 but maybe its time to start schooling her??
hugs jess

Farmgirl Sister #235

Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  04:03:12 AM  Show Profile
My daughter too! She had a routine that she had to stick to. If I took a different route home from Grammies, she would get nervous. She had an imaginary friend as well, Oswald. I still remember his name. LOL. Big imagination.

My dd is 10 now, she has a hard time shutting her brain down - something is always on her mind. The wheels are always going. We're trying different ways to get her to "turn" it off. When she was little it drove me nuts! A 2 year old walking into my room at 10:30 to talk about why people in the world get sick?!!! She's got big things on her mind.

We're now using melatonin - 3 days now. So far so good. But we still need to work on the stimulation/anxiety. I just don't know, even at a young age we did the warm baths/warm milk/story time....

Sometimes scratching my dd's back when she was having her terrors seemed to help her get back to sleep. Have you talked to your dr about them?

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  07:41:54 AM  Show Profile
When my daughter was about three she would wake with scary dreams, she called them that. This was a kid with a wild imagination, so I made her a little embroidered pillow for her bed, with a sleeping lion on it (her favorite animal at the time, and Sweet Dreams embroidered at the top. I told her that the lion would take care of the scary guys. It actually worked for her, She slept on that little pillow until the embroidery was worn away, and then I had to make a new one, though the nigh terrors were long gone.

Good luck. I know how stressful it is when our kids are young and having these problems, makes being a mom so painful, as of course we want to be able to solve all these things for them when they are so little.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

tempestastrali
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

magdelina
mississippi
71 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  2:40:16 PM  Show Profile  Send tempestastrali an AOL message
Hi,
I don't have any kids yet, I'm only 22 and haven't gotten started on that yet Ü but...
I had the same problem as a child.
It was always the same. I was always having some dream (many of which I still remember vividly even now) not a bad one, just a dream. Then it would turn bad somehow, and I would consciously become aware of dreaming. I would try to scream or wake myself up, but couldn't, and a man in a cape and hat would swoop down and start choking me and laughing at me. I would try and try to make a noise so someone would come in my room and help me, but just couldn't. When I finally did wake up, I would be very disoriented and confused.
This happened off and on from the time I was 3 or 4 until I was 7 or 8.
My parents went through a bad divorce when I was 5, and had a lot of fights and bad situations since probavbly about the same time I started having these night terrors. So maybe it is a trauma-related thing.
They did go away though for the most part - I have had it happen three or four times in the past ten years, and it's not nearly as frightening as when I was a child, just kind of confusing while happening

I hear a lot of children have these sort of experiences, and many of them actually report being choked or having really heavy pressure or a weight on their upper body..
weird thing, the human mind.

"How strange that Nature does not knock, and yet does not intrude!" Emily Dickinson
"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." ~ ~Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic has anyone ever dealt with Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page