Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  3:06:22 PM  Show Profile
DOes anyone else have a child that screams all the time? My 15 month old son screams from the time he gets up in the morning until he goes to bed at night. If we are lucky, he will take a short 20 minute nap during the afternoon., but that usually takes a car ride to do it. He is teething, but has never been this bad. Literally constant screaming. I don't know what else to do. Ive given him Motrin, anbesol, cold wash rags, baths, rocking him to sleep. He no sooner wakes up than he is screaming at the top of his lungs. He acts like he has colic but I know he has long since grown out of that. I let him out of the playpen and he screams, I put him in the playpen and he screams...no matter what ..He screams!
Im about ready to pull my hair out or I dont know what...HELP!!Any ideas would be great!

MarySueK
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Susan
Richland WA
96 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  4:03:22 PM  Show Profile
My oldest child was something like yours - though generally only in the afternoon - it seemd like longer. Once he woke up from his after lunch nap he'd scream until dinner. The only thing that would settle him at all was fresh air. I'd plop him in the stroller and we'd be out for several hours. That meant I had to get dinner ready in the morning and put it in the fridge or crockpot, but there wasn't much else I could do. He is now 17 so I didn't actually murder him.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  4:09:56 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Have you read my post on my lovable but exhausting Charlie??? : )

When Charlie gets bad, outside we go or just to a change of venue- I can't tell you how many times I have done laps around Super Wally World just to quiet him. Seems like the little one is getting ready to be a little more independent. Charlie screamed a lot when he was going through a growth spurt around that age. Just keep doing what you are doing Mama and you will be ok. (((HUGS)))

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  4:52:25 PM  Show Profile
THanks ladies! I finally had to break down and take Levi over to mom's. No one was really home but the change of scenery helped some. He still screamed but was fine after about 15 minutes. When he's right in the middle of the tantrums, I wonder sometimes how people with more children than I have can do it.
Levi hasn't been sleeping at night. He has super duper sensitive skin with a good heat rash. But I didnt think heat rashes really bothered him. He does seem to be going through I spurt, but can he have growth spurts back to back? I think we just did that. Neither of my kiddos sleep through the night so I know he is up a lot at night but then not to sleep during the day??!! Crying I can take, but screaming until his face turns red and then white! I'm sorry y'all had to deal with this too. Its really crazy. Guess Illbe heading for nature next time.:)
thanks
hugs
jess

When life sends storms, remember to dance in the rain!

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  5:46:16 PM  Show Profile
It sounds like he needs his sleep. That is how my oldest son behaved when he was over-tired. Try giving him a lukewarm bath with a drop or two of lavender essential oil (and colloidal oatmeal for his heat rash) to soothe him. Maybe some soft music playing and low lights everywhere. Calm, quiet voices, a little snuggle and a light massage along with a story should help calm him down. Plus a little Tylenol never hurts when it comes to teething pain. It sounds like he has developed a pattern. A change of pace is good, but you'll want to make sure that it induces sleep in both your kids for preservation of your sanity!
Wishing you sweet dreams.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  5:57:51 PM  Show Profile
Have you taken him to the Dr. just to make sure nothing else is going on? The rest of the ladies advice sounds very good. I hope things calm down for you soon. You must be exhausted.

Thinking of you MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  7:22:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
When I was little I had horrible food allergies that would cause behavioral problems. The would cause me to go into a rage and my mom said I would scream all the time when I was a baby if I was having a reaction. Just to give you an idea here is a partial list of the things I was allergic to:
Dairy
Preservatives
Food Dye
Citrus
Barley
Corn
All Nuts
All Berries
All Melons
Peanuts (not really a nut)
Wheat in large amounts
Chocolate
oats

Now this isn't the whole list but it gives you an idea. How many times a day does a kiddo normally eat something off that list? Can you imagine all the screaming my mom had to put up with until it finally got figured out?

The thing that stopped my allergic reactions was a dose of benedryl. Nora seems to have seasonal allergies and the doctor told me to go ahead and give her some Benedryl if she is getting sniffly. So Nora's dose at being 14 months old is 1/2 teaspoon of Children's Benedryl.

You could always keep a food log and see how he reacts to different foods. And with a doctor's permission you could see if after a dose of Benedryl if he was calmer. If he does have and allergic reaction to something, it can break the cycle. If he then woke up calm and only started to scream a little while after eating something, then you probably have a food allergy on hand which now can be tested for with a simple blood test! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  2:06:45 PM  Show Profile
Jessie! I just realized you're my new pen pal!

Oh girl, I've got stories about my oldest boy that will make your HAIR STAND ON END!!! I will tell you all about it in my letters to you. There's not enough room here.

Mary Jane is right though. You really should take your son to a GOOD Pediatrician. If they suggest ADD/ADHD meds, I'd run for the hills and find another doctor. He's too young to even consider it, and it's too easy to tell parents to medicate their children when the doctor really doesn't know WHAT'S wrong with the child. (Only the very BEST doctor will ever admit they don't know what's wrong. I know, I've worked with quite a few of them-- Both good AND bad!) Hang in there girl! He may get over this just as quickly as it all started.
Extra, EXTRA HUGS to you ~~~ Tracy (PS I'm mailing my first letter to you TODAY!!)

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  2:59:30 PM  Show Profile
I second everyone's opinion.
I first thought of taking him to the doctor to rule something out as well. No matter how ornery or good natured this child is, something is not right. The poor little peanut just can't tell you what is wrong.
My second thought was of the food allergy issues Alee brought up as well.
I had a friend whose little boy had a heck of a time (he definitely had ADHD!!!) whenever he'd eat anything with food dye in it. It just made him NUTS!!! Bouncing off the walls-tear your house up NUTS!
She stripped that out as much as possible-no fruit snacks or kool aid type of foods, especially. She got him on the ADHD meds he was a whole different child. (probably because he felt better!)
Be wary of the ADHD thing, regardless. In my friend's little boy's case, he definitely has ADHD.
I think Doc's diagnose and prescribe that when they aren't sure what to do. He should be at least in first grade before you give any of that testing any consideration.
Besides, you will know, deep down.
My cousin had it, you could literally watch his meds wear off him. I am suprised my Aunty didn't strangle that kid.

My daughter is a whirling dervish, but she doesn't have ADHD, she is just "busy" is what her doctor says.

Anyhow... back on topic.
Take him to see his doc and check sweetiepie out. Then I would keep track of foods/drink etc. add and elimnate things and see if that helps.

Sorry this was kinda rambly, but I am at work and keep getting phone calls.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on May 28 2008 3:01:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  3:41:21 PM  Show Profile
I am definitly going to take him to the pedia. I have to wait a week or two til my insurance gets instated. I hope I keep my hair intact in the meantime.:)
I thought about food allergies but I really can't think of anything new that he has had. He just started it over the last couple of days. He had another fit today. I took him over to Mom's again and he was fine while we were there. A little ornery but other than that fine. I wonder if he is getting tired of being in him playpen. He seems to be getting too big for it though there isnt much room for him to spread out. He only spends time in there during the day when I have chores I have to do and can't keep a close watch on him. He's fine during naptime in there. I've noticed him getting alot more aggressive. Hitting, biting...etc.
I think I'll stick to praying for girls from now on...lol!
I will keep you posted. TOday was better and for that I am extremely thankful!!
huugs
Jess

When life sends storms, remember to dance in the rain!

Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  4:18:35 PM  Show Profile
I have a ten month old grandson who just about drove everyone in our family nuts. If you as much as looked at him he screamed. I persuaded my daughter to take him to the pediatrician and he had such an inner earache that the dr. could hardly see it! Then, we found out that he has terrible allergies. The doc put him on something for the inner ear and a low dose of Zyrtec for the allergies and he is the happiest little thing! In fact, last week, he took his first five steps! Hoping and praying your little one comes around and stops screaming. It is no fun and I'm sending you extra hugs! Susan
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  12:38:23 AM  Show Profile
Some little boys do tend to be more agressive than others. My oldest son was a hitter and a biter. I bit him back (not hard though) and he didn't like it ONE BIT!! Eventually he got tired of that game and moved on to something else... like taking off doorknobs and removing electrical outlet plates and so on..... It's hard when they are very young to know what's upsetting them so, but hopefully there IS a simple solution to the problem. you WILL get through this Jessie!! If I survived MY son, you'll certainly survive YOURS! Hugs ~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

juliet79
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Heather
Worland Wyoming
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  10:05:27 AM  Show Profile
I feel for you! I do! My youngest (she's 2) had all of a sudden decided that she doesn't need to walk, it is much better to be held ALL THE TIME! I have two others of my own and run a daycare! Last week I had 10 kids here everyday for 10 hours, makes it hard to fix lunch, change diapers, clean, eat, go to the bathroom with a 25 pound monkey stuck to your side! Hahahah, I love her so much, but my goodness child, we waited so long for you to walk, WALK DANG IT!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

sugarwood_naturals
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Jackie
Wister Oklahoma
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  11:39:11 PM  Show Profile
Definitely take him to the doctor. My son screamed all the time and rarely slept from day 1 until 3 weeks later when I couldn't take it anymore. I took him to the pediatrician and told him he had to give one of us something or I was going to lose it. He sent him for an upper GI and it turned out he had reflux and the poor little guy was suffering from constant heartburn. So you never know when it's something physical and not just behavioral - it doesn't hurt to check. Good luck!

Good Old Fashioned Lye Soap
http://www.sugarwoodnaturals.com
10% Discount for Farmgirls - Voucher Code: FARMGIRL
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  10:11:40 AM  Show Profile
They did mention that to me, Jackie, when he was littler. Is that something they grow out of? It never really crossed by mind until you said so..hmm....Hes settled some but whoa! those days he does kick it in..yikes!! Doing better though
Tracy...my son's a biter too. Does it really work to bite them back? My grandmother used to do it way back in the day.My daughter is a hair puller and doing that back seemed to cure it quick ;) I might give this a try for the biter too.
Keep us in your thoughts, we're going to have a ceremony for getting rid of the oldest ones bottle tonight. Hopefully it works...lol..I thought it might do the trick but keeping my fingers crossed.
Growing younguns' is full of fun..lol
hugs!
Jess

Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug. -- Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  3:27:18 PM  Show Profile
It does sometimes work to bite them back. I had to do that with my daughter. She was constantly biting her younger brother to the point that when I put him in the bath I would notice one or two new bites a week on his body. I tried spanking her, putting her in time out, and yelling at her to stop but none of that worked. Finally, one time after she bit him I yelled at her and bit her (enough to make a point but not to break skin or leave marks) and she stopped almost completely that day. I didn't want to do it but didn't know what else to do and it seemed effective because she was old enough to understand that "Hey, that hurts".
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  6:30:10 PM  Show Profile
I have a nephew that was nicknamed "crying Charlie" (his name was not Charlie) when he was a toddler..he cried and screamed non stop I think for a couple years...he had been checked a few times by doctors...no problems. It made his mom crazy!!! So we would all take him for a couple hours now and then. He grew up to be a very busy but very smart kid...he is a mechanic and has a great mind. I had a little boy in my daycare who cried so much he would throw up every morning when his mom left..it took him doing that for 2 months to finally stop sooner. His poor mom had dark circles under her eyes and could hardly wait to go to her part time job..and I could hardly wait for her to get back..haha. But he finally got better and ended up being a really good, fun kid. I think some kids just do that. Dosn't make it any easier for you when you are going through it though. sounds like you are doing all the right things..get the breaks you need too!!! Hugs...

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Lavendar fields dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

1032 Posts

little monkeys mommy
washington
USA
1032 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  02:04:49 AM  Show Profile
thinking of ya jessie and will be prayin for your sanity

lavendar girl
http://lavendarfieldsdreamer.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2008 :  05:55:27 AM  Show Profile
thanks ladies for all your thoughts and prayers. It helps so much just knowing that there are other ladies out there that know what its like. :/ Levi is doing better. His fits have gone down quite a bit. He still has some good tantrums here and there but nothing nearly as bad as the BAD ones. I take him outside more and it wears him out pretty good. He had a growth spurt and went up 2 whole clothes sizes! He got in another tooth too. Poor kiddo--its no wonder he was having fits! I hope they don't all happen at once like that again.:)
Thanks again!
Jess

http://crshelpmeet-heartssong.blogspot.com/

Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug. -- Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2008 :  10:46:49 PM  Show Profile
Ahhh... so the teething and the "growing pains" were probably what had him in such fits! Poor kid! I remember those aching knees when I was growing up--- and my poor sister would have them SO bad she would cry and hollar even as a pre-teen!!! She'd keep us all up sometimes half the night. My oldest boy went through the growing pains too. It was just AWFUL!! Thankfully your son is ok. It's so scary when the little ones are hurting and can't tell us why.

As for the acid reflux in infants and toddlers? Sometimes the problem DOES correct itself. My friend has a Daycare and one of the babies that she has watched for several months now was REALLY bad-- so bad that he had to have liquid Tagamet every time he ate or drank a bottle. He's been on it since he was just a few days old. He's about 7 or 8mos old now and the problem has completely corrected itself. He doesn't need the medication anymore, and he doesn't throw up every time he burps anymore either. Some babies DO require surgery to fix the problem, but it's my understanding that many of these cases correct themselves as the baby grows. Hope all is well now! Hugs to you and your little ones ~~~ Tracy

PS Glad I'm not the only one who had the "Biting" issue. I felt like a TERRIBLE mother for doing it back, but it was the ONLY thing that worked!!!

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  06:21:26 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
My son still has GERD, had it since the day he was born. He still take medication at 2 because he gets to gurgling and then is miserable. I feel so bad for him but know he is a sweet kid just acting out his pain. Charlie also bit someone in daycare and I was MORTIFIED but they put him in time out and explained "No biting" to him and then we had a long talk all the way home that night. I think for him it is mostly frustrationg. His language went from just a few word to an explosion in less than a month, so I think he just didn't know what to do with his thoughts. He is going through another spurt right now. He is taking loooooong naps at home, is a little less lovable right now and is eating like a horse. I recognize this from other times and just give him lots of hugs and kisses, food and water/juice and let him just play or sit quietly if he wants. Over stimulating makes it worse. ((HUGS)) From one mama to another.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

keeperofthehome
True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

Suzanne
Atlanta Georgia
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  10:13:03 AM  Show Profile
Make sure his clothes are organic if he has sensitive skin he may be hurting. If you're not try using cloth diapers. Also, put him in one of those bath chairs in the bathtub filled with 1/2C epsom salts and some lavendar and a ton of bath toys. When my son would act up the water would calm him. To this day at 10 years old a bath soothes him!

Blessings!
~Farrah
www.homesteadblogger.com/keeperofthehome/

Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  12:36:31 PM  Show Profile
would cloth diapers really make that big of a difference, Farrah? He always did really well with them, accept at night, but I never thought that change would do too much. :O)

Farmgirl Sister #235

http://crshelpmeet-heartssong.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

keeperofthehome
True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

Suzanne
Atlanta Georgia
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  2:35:18 PM  Show Profile
If he has sensitive skin the chlorine in diapers could be hurting his skin. This is just a thought. My son had sensitive skin and I used baby detergent until he was 4 because he kept breaking out. If you are itchy, teething, tired, and possibly eating something that hurts your tummy you'd feel like screaming too! I believe in ruling everything out, but still disciplining. Just try the diapers for a week or so. Then try taking him off milk. Still give him crushed ice to chew on for the teething and if he's too mean then definitely discipline him. Just try to make him comfortable first.

Blessings!
~Farrah
www.homesteadblogger.com/keeperofthehome/

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  08:32:29 AM  Show Profile
Jessie, I hope all is well now!! I will say one thing that sometimes girls are not any easier !!! My 4 year old Hannah is the most sensitive little girl I have ever seen. All you have to do is say boo to her and she bawls. Please don't apologize because I think that is what we are here for. Not just to pass around recipes or talk about what we are making but to also be here when someone is struggling through something! I remember when my son, who is 6 now, was about 9-10 months old and one day in particular he just fussed and cried for hours and I was about to cry and luckily my husband came home and took him and got him to calm down. Hang in there
MONICA

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  10:16:56 PM  Show Profile
thanks for the encouragement. Levi is doing a little better. I think he must just be a naturally "crying" kid. Every little thing sets him off. He has "toughened" up a little, but I've noticed he's a lot more clingy to his sister. Maybe seperation anxiety? Is that a real thing or just kinda punk to explain the unexplainable?
hugs jess

Farmgirl Sister #235

Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic about at wits end Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page