Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Preparing soil for an orchard Next Topic  

HomesteadHerbs
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Christine
Hockley TX
27 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2005 :  09:39:53 AM  Show Profile  Send HomesteadHerbs an AOL message  Send HomesteadHerbs a Yahoo! Message
I've been reading for months, and just decided that I needed to jump in!

I have some apple and nectarine trees, and blueberry bushes and a surviving raspberry bush that I need to transfer from pots into the soil. I've got sandy/clay (more clay than sandy) soil and I'm guessing I need to improve it! What should I add when I till it up? Should I wait to plant the trees/bushes until the spring?

Thanks for sharing the wisdom!

Growing, using, and learning about herbs. Living a Godly simple life!

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2005 :  10:01:33 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Christine! Glad you jumped in. In most parts of our country, fall is definately tree planting time. Before you plant; however, I'd get a soil sample test done so you can learn exactly what your soil needs for amendment to reach the proper PH levels for what you're planting. Your local county extenstion agent's office should be able to help you with this or direct you to your local resources.
It sounds like your trees and bushes are precious to you since you've had them in pots, so you don't want to mess around and not get it right! Give them a call today! And... good luck!!

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  08:57:23 AM  Show Profile
What Clare said!
Blueberries I do and they like acid/sandy soil. I think they be not like Nectarines.The agent told us the #1 soil test was for drainage.We cut holes and filled with h2o clockin how long to seep out. the recipe they gave us is plasticized for Wilma. The aggies oughten to have a big book by county. Are you in Hockley county?
Go to Top of Page

HomesteadHerbs
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Christine
Hockley TX
27 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  06:48:29 AM  Show Profile  Send HomesteadHerbs an AOL message  Send HomesteadHerbs a Yahoo! Message
Thatk you! A soil test certainly will help me know what I need to do. I will try and locate the local county extension agent for Harris/Waller county.
I did know that blueberries like an acid soil. I'll have to look up the nectarines. I double-checked this weekend and I forgot to list that I also have a plum tree and a fig tree.
Drainage is probably going to be the hardest battle...we seem to have a sandy/clay until about 3-4 ft down, and then its hardpan clay! When it rains hard, we have to go out in boots as we sink into the soil until we get to the deadpan clay!
Maybe I can combat the drainage by elevating the tree mound, but then that means that irrigation will be a major issue in the summer....

Thanks for your advice

Growing, using, and learning about herbs. Living a Godly simple life!
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Preparing soil for an orchard Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page