CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  09:55:52 AM  Show Profile
years old .. would it be more important to have a sharp mind or fit body?

SHARP MIND. (I'D SURE LIKE TO HAVE BOTH!)

HMMMMMMMMM .. i remember my nannie when she was quite old .. she was her SADDEST when her mind was sharpest because she found it so difficult to deal with her body that kept her bed-ridden!

she was very happy and child-like when her mind wandered.

but then .. if your body is great and your mind is infirmed .. OH CRAPOLA .. I DUNNO' ... reeeeeeeeely want to hear what you gurlz think about this one!

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  10:55:32 AM  Show Profile
That's a tough one, but I think I'd rather have my mental capabilities. I've seen folks who were ravaged by alzheimer's disease and it's so sad. Even if I was bedridden, I'd still be able to recognize my family and friends and be able to tell them I love them daily.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  11:56:45 AM  Show Profile
Now that's something to think about! I guess if one has a sharp mind, one can keep fit! I'll probably be thinking about that question all day. Have a groovy day!
Marly
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  1:31:55 PM  Show Profile
Probably my mind. Except then I would be frustrated when my body didn't want to cooperate. But then, well, I would be able to make decisions for myself. Thought provoking question. I guess I really don't want to have to choose.

Farmgirl #208

What are you doing with your dash?
Go to Top of Page

homemakerkate
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

Kate
Ewen Michigan
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  1:39:47 PM  Show Profile
My father has alzhiemers. He has been, mostly physically fit. But in the last year, he mostly also doesnt know who I am. He is forgetting how to sit in a chair, what a spoon is for, how to hold a phone, he gets lost standing in one room. He cant find more and more words everyday. He is generally happy but I Miss HIM. So if it was me, I think I would like to have a sharp mind. Chances are though with the way it runs in the family, I wont.
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  1:45:33 PM  Show Profile
I would choose a sharp mind. I hope I have both!!

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  1:59:00 PM  Show Profile
We just celebrated my Grandma's 99th birthday, and plans are underway for the 100th. My grandma always said that she would live to be 100, so this year I told her that we needed to up the anti, because 100 is coming and we think she should set a new goal. Her response was, "I have a friend who is 108, I guess we could go for that!". Isn't that great?

Grandma Irrer is definitely sound in mind. She is alway winning at cards and she gets cut off from the bingo games at the home she resides in now, because she wins so much. The employees want someone else to have a chance to win.

Grandma is a great example of good, clean living. She was a mom to 9, always milked the cows for grandpa, and even though "she could have run off with the milk man, she knew where her bread was buttered". She is my "farm grandma" who always wore house dresses and an apron. (My "city grandma" always wore slacks)

She has lived thru the deaths of 2 children and 2 grandchildren. Sometimes she ponders as to why she is still here, but then she will say that she knows she should just keep praying for her kids. I always tell her that she is a perfect example of purity and graceful aging. She has such a sweet contentedness about her.

I hope that my mind is as sharp as hers when I'm her age - she has an amazing sense of humor too!

Ann
Forrester Farm
http://picasaweb.google.com/FORRESTERFARM/FORRESTERFARMWEDDINGS

Edited by - Forrester Farm on Jul 24 2008 06:26:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  5:48:41 PM  Show Profile
Heck, do I have either right now? ha ha ha. Okay, since I plan on living that long, I'd choose a sharp mind. That way I can figure out what to do about the body and keep a sense of humor and balance about life.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

handyam
True Blue Farmgirl

394 Posts

Ada Mae
Greensburg KY.
USA
394 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  6:58:22 PM  Show Profile
I have been watching my dad (86) slip away with Alzhiemers. He quit walking and has just about quit talking. He will mumble occasionally and make motions with his hands like he is measuring the table in front of him (he was a carpenter). So I would have to say I would rather have a sound mind.

www.adasadorableaprons.blogspot.com

This is the day that the Lord has made.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  7:22:06 PM  Show Profile
gurlfrenz .. my heart goes out to all of you who have dear ones who have been touched by alzheimers .. it is so sad to lose them while they are still here. hugs to you all and your loved ones too! xo

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic IF YOU LIVED TO BE 100 Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page