Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 I want to start composting! Help please!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic I want to start composting! Help please! Next Topic  

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  12:44:11 PM  Show Profile
Hello! I would really like to start a composting pile to reduce waste in my household and to add richness to my garden. I have a large amount of space available for me to work with. I have researched composting but I was wondering if anyone has any tips for me as well as some sites or books of interest that you have used yourself. I would like to hear about your own composting and why it works for you. Thanks so much!

Chelsey

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  1:23:19 PM  Show Profile
I'm sure you'll get lots of ideas Chelsey, but here's what works for me. I have three active bins at all times in various stages of composting. They measure 6' long x 3' wide. I use this size as it makes it much easier for me to turn them, ie. I don't have to get inside to turn it over!! Bin #1 is ready to use and as soon as it's empty, the contents of Bin #2 are emptied into it. This makes for a good turning and will help to get it heating up again. Bin #3 is where new material is constantly being added in layers and it will get turned into Bin #2 as soon as it's empty.
I've found that almost anything will compost well if you put it between a layer of hay/chicken manure and fresh greens or preferably, grass clippings. That will steam even on the hottest of days! Sort of like building a bomb!! But the key is to have a good ratio of brown matter to green, roughly two thirds brown layered with one third green. Keep it slightly dampened (never soaked) during warm days and turn it every few days to keep it aerated.
If I'm really dilligent (and I'm often not!), I can have good fresh compost every 3 to 4 weeks.
Hope this helps,

Di on VI
Farmgirl Sister #73
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  1:28:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Chelsey. I know some farmgirls in Washington State find that the weather isn't hot enough long enough to make composting a really easy thing. You might have to pull a few extra tricks out of your fabulous straw Breton hat. One bit of advice I can provide that you often don't read about is to make your first layer out of of twigs and branches that allow some air flow up through the pile from underneath. Make your layers thicker than you might find convenient, and don't let anything be all flat. You only get slimy mush then. If your layers are about 6 inches each and you keep them crunchy/fluffy rather than all flat, enough air will circulate to get the compost cooking -- you shouldn't have to even turn it, as most books tell you to. I bought a book at Borders this year that I thought was pretty good. It's by that English publisher DK Books and some of the references are veddy English, but should apply even better to you than to me, here in Virginia. It's on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Compost-natural-make-food-garden/dp/0756613418/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216758473&sr=1-3

Edited by - Rosemary on Jul 22 2008 5:56:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  1:44:34 PM  Show Profile
Diane and Mara thank you so much for your replies! They were both very informative and helpful. I appreciate you taking time to help.

Mara, the book you suggested looks great! I am definitely going to order it and get started.

Diane, we are practically neighbors! I love Victoria and BC in particular! During my last trip to Victoria I stayed at the Hotel Swan (because my last name is Swan). It was lovely!

Thanks again to you both!

Chelsey
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  2:05:15 PM  Show Profile
Waving madly across the Juan de Fuca Strait to you!!!
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  3:02:21 PM  Show Profile
In some cities here in AZ, you can receive a free composting bin, just by asking! Try a city/ town information number, and track down waste disposal/ recycling department. Usually, they try to promote recycling and reducing the amount of waste they have to pick up. :)

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  5:48:20 PM  Show Profile
Molly,

Thank you so much for the suggestion/info. That sounds great and I would never have thought of that by myself! I am definitely going to research that. Thanks again! Enjoy your evening!

Chelsey
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  5:51:42 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm,Chelsey, the only composting we do here is with worms...doesn't take up as much space, I think, as with the hot compost pile...but I guess it's depends on what you are looking to do :)

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  5:56:04 PM  Show Profile
Chelsea, the book I mentioned talks about municipal bins, and what kind work best under different conditions. Then author also talks about vermiculture (worm composting).
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  6:40:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I like to make pile compost heaps. I also like to get something like horse manure from a stable or lots of grass clippings to get it started. Make a heap with your starter material, keep it moist and don't turn it for about 2-3 weeks. (you can add to it the whole time with no trouble). By the time you do turn it, it should be cooking along. Once you have some good compost mixed in with the non composted stuff it really goes fast! I also like to dump a bait can of worms or earthworms into it once it is about half composted. They do a great job of turning the compost heap for you and enriching it as well.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

homemakerkate
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

Kate
Ewen Michigan
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  7:07:10 PM  Show Profile
I know I would like a bin...the one dh and I made was difficult to turn any thing over in. It worked but the compost was heavy and hard to get to. I love to compost. It saves considerably on waste disposal. My first year I added Way too much old food product and where we were living it attracted some very large bears. (oops live and learn)
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  09:13:21 AM  Show Profile
Compost should be fairly lightweight unless you're putting stuff in without fluffing it to let air in. If you keep it evenly moist, you can cover it with a tarp or old carpeting (even better, b/c it breathes) to help keep it hot and keep it from getting soggy. If your compost pile is too heavy, be careful about that. Adding manure might make the pile too high in nitrogen, and, if it's wet to start with, might also weigh it down and keep air fro circulating through it properly. Air is really key. That's why adding grass clippings gets people into trouble -- there isn't much chance that it won't mat down. It's best to mix those clippings with bulkier green stuff, like used-up pea vines, etc. And don't overlook crumbled up newspaper for the brown stuff. That can actually be better in compost than dry leaves, depending on what kind of leaves you use. It decomposes faster.
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  10:44:18 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so mch to every one! These tips have been really helpful to me! I can't wait to start my own pile It's going to be so great to be able to redue waste from my home with the upside of helping me garden as well! Have a great day to all!

Chelsey
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic I want to start composting! Help please! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page