Melissa
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Melissa
Selden NY
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2005 :  2:42:34 PM  Show Profile
I want to share a great find with all you readers. My library carries two books by Nancy Pearl: Book Lust, and More Book Lust. Nancy Pearl is a librarian and a reading fanatic. In these books, she lists page after page of her favorite books. You can find some great titles to look for or buy by title and subject. For those of you who don't know where to turn for the next book to read, just pick up one of her books, grab a title, and there you go!

"Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light." Roethke

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2005 :  3:45:34 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!

So glad that you mentioned Book Lust. I just adore Nancy Pearl. If you check out her website by putting her name in Google, you will see that there is also a Nancy the Librarian action figure doll!!

Love it.

Connie the Librarian

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Melissa
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Melissa
Selden NY
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  10:08:24 AM  Show Profile
I have to check that out today! I wish I had become a librarian...lots of my friends have done that and I feel like I really missed my calling. Connie, what are some of your favorite books?

Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  3:36:19 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!

Gosh I will have to think about some of my favorite books. I try to read about 3-4 books per week.

I like the following authors/books (just as a quick beginning)
Jodi Picoult; Luanne Rice, Dorothea Benton Frank (Low Country), Anita Shreve (just checked out her newest title), Susan Wittig Albert, Deborah Santana, Rudolfo Anaya etc etc.

Really like the books Belle Canto and also Loving Che.

More later. I need to start making a list of what I read. Thanks for your interest.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2005 :  06:52:51 AM  Show Profile
I so agree with that statement! I think I missed my calling too, by not becoming a librarian! I could start my own library at this point!!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Macleigh
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Tennessee
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2005 :  07:37:34 AM  Show Profile
Did you all know there is a Nancy Pearl action figure?! I bought it for my best friend for her birthday this year -- the figure is in full librarian attire and has "Shhh-shing power" meaning that when you press her back, her arm comes up with the forefinger to her lips to shush all interlopers who would interrupt quiet reading time! We laughed for the longest time about it, in the fashion of true bluestockings. :)

Hope sustains the farmer. -- Old Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Melissa
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Melissa
Selden NY
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2005 :  09:32:51 AM  Show Profile
Is that the action figure that Bas Bleu has in their catalog? I love that one. I really envy my friends who are librarians. I don't think there is one who does not love her job! One is a school librarian, one is a corporate librarian for Kraft Food, one is a law librarian and one is a public library librarian, and they all are so happy in their work. The only college around here that offers library science degrees is an hour away. I wonder if it's possible to get the degree online...anyone have information on that?

Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  4:54:45 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!

It is very easy to earn a Masters degree in library science in this age of distance learning. I know several people who have completed all of their classwork online. If you look into graduate programs, just be certain that the program is accredited by the American Library Association. If it is not accredited by ALA, you are wasting your time and $$$$$$$$$.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Book Lust Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page