True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  3:54:29 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!
Wanted to let you know that Anita Diamant who wrote "The Red Tent" has a new book coming out that is called "The Last Days of Dogtown Cape Ann." Looks pretty interesting. Also ran across another book today called "Womens Letters: America From the Revolutionary War to the Present" by Grunwald and Adler that will be coming out shortly.

If you want to keep up with all of the new titles that will be coming out this Fall check out www.bookreporter.com or www.bookbrowse.com. They will often ask for volunteers who would be willing to read the new books and submit reviews.

Enjoy!!!

Connie

cozycottage

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  08:46:55 AM  Show Profile
My mom just gave me the Dogtown book on a cd. I still got 4 more cds to listen to. Anybody ever been fishing around the real Dogtown? Is there a lighthouse you can work for a vacation near there?
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  12:57:39 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!

I have been to Cape Ann; my family spent some summers there when I was a teen, but we always stayed in Rockport. I will have to look on a map to see where Dog Town is.

Will be looking forward to getting a report after you finish the 4 cd's.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  1:36:21 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!

Jan Karon of the famous Mitford Series has a new book coming out on Nov 8---"Light From Heaven." It is the final book in the series. Reviewers seem to think that she will be starting a new Father Tim series; I certainly hope so.

Ms. Karon says that she "writes to give readers an extended family and to applaud the extraordinary beauty of ordinary lives."

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  3:44:44 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!

Just started a book called "Widow of the South" by Robert Hicks. It is his first book and takes places on a plantation in Tennessee between 1864-1894.

Looks great. It is about a women who used part of her plantation to bury 1,500 soldiers so that they would have a resting place. She then went on to adopt about a dozen orphans. In the middle of all of this is a love story.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  7:01:20 PM  Show Profile
OOOH...........I looked at that book at Costco but didn't buy it. It sounded like it would be good. Let me know.

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  5:48:27 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!!

Celtic Heart I could not read the Widow of the South. I tried reading it on SUnday (9/11), but after seeing hurricane coverage and 9/11 memorial coverage on the news, I could not take any more horror.

The book is clearly very anti-war and graphically describes the injuries and deaths of the soldiers.

Maybe later, I will give it another try.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2005 :  2:56:15 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!

More new books

Just read The Painted Drum by Louise Erdrich. It was fantastic. takes place in rural New Hampshire and on an Ojibwe reservation in North Dakota. Don't miss this one if you have an interest in Native American literature. Louise Erdrich is both knowledgeable and respectful of ancient rites and traditions as she weaves this powerful story.

Have not read The WOODSMAN'S DAUGHTER by Gwyn Rubio, but I have checked it out and will read it this week. The setting is post-civil war Southern Georgia. The novel "chronicles the conflicts of the Miller family, as seen mostly through Dalia Millers' eyes. Dalia is the brassy and beautiful elder daughter of Monroe Miller, a shrewd turpentine farmer haunted by a devastating secret."

Will keep you posted...

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  12:29:41 PM  Show Profile
Connio, thanks for the suggestion, bought Widow of the South today at Wal-mart for 18.00 looks great

I was Country before Country was COOL
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  09:44:45 AM  Show Profile
Connie, did you finish Widow of the South?

http://morkielove.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  7:08:52 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!!

Arlene I could not read Widow of the South. Scroll up, and you will see my comments. I might try it again later when we are not being bombarded in the media with horrific images of hurricanes and dead bodies etc.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  8:57:36 PM  Show Profile
Sorry, guess I missed that, I made it half way through that book, I didn't like it, don't know if I will finish it.

http://morkielove.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  5:46:19 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls

This is not a new book, but it is the funniest book that I have read in a long time. It is called ENSLAVED BY DUCKS and is written by Bob Tart(e)?? Don't buy it--go to the library and get it for some really great chuckles.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  2:56:00 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!!

Christian fiction writers. If you enjoy this type of genre, might want to check out www.faithfulreader.com

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  3:15:00 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!

I ended up taking the "WOodsman's Daughter" back to the library without finishing it. It was just toooo depressing.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  3:05:04 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!

Just read a review about a book called "Holding out for a Hero" by Lisa Harper. She is a theologian who has started writing contemporary fiction to be used in Bible study. This book focuses on the book of Hebrews.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic NEW BOOKS---- COMING SOON Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page