Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  09:04:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
As I was hanging a load of laundry out on the line today, I decided I have a theory. Now, I am being a tad bit silly here so don't take me TOOO seriously

I think dryers cause global warming.

We have more clothes than ever before in history. And what do we do? We wash and dry them. But 100 years ago all the clothes were line dried.

So all those clothes lines filled with clothes across the world acted like a big world-wide swamp cooler. Taking some of the heat energy out of the air to dry the clothes. But now, we took down the world wide swamp cooler and instead start pumping hot air into the world for hours at a time.

Yup. It's the household dryer that the cause of global warming.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  09:08:08 AM  Show Profile
Could be.. Jeff promised to put up a clothes line for me at the new house!! Can't wait. I sure miss hanging out my clothes.
Hey, when are you going to update your blog so we can see pics of your new home???? I keep checking.... :-)

Blessings, Debra

"Your life is an occasion, Rise to it." Mr Magorium..
http://myvintagehome.com
http://woolieacres.net
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  09:17:26 AM  Show Profile
alee .. i found this information to be quite helpful in choosing ways to help stop global warming:

Solving global warming isn't only about installing majestic wind turbines and glistening solar energy systems in the desert. One of the cheapest, most effective, and safest ways to reduce global warming pollution is to increase our energy efficiency. In fact, by using energy efficiency technologies and today's know-how, we could cut our global warming pollution by a third.

So why aren't we?

In the United States, we're off to a good start - innovation and improvements over the past 30 years have allowed our economy to grow faster than our energy consumption. Unfortunately, in the next 22 years our electricity consumption is expected to grow by 25%. That'll mean an extra 550 million tons of CO2 each year that we'll have to reduce to stop global warming.

The good news is that by aggressively improving our energy efficiency now, we can nearly eliminate this increase. It'll take leadership, but there are plenty of examples of how energy efficiency has worked. For example, people using energy-efficient appliances in 2007 avoided global warming pollution equivalent to nearly 27 million cars. If everyone did likewise -- and we similarly improved America's buildings, industry, and transportation -- we could reduce annual emissions equivalent to nearly 400 million cars. That's 2 billion fewer tons of carbon dioxide (more than 6,000 times the weight of the Empire State Building!).

Building for energy-efficiency: In the United States alone, buildings are responsible for 25-35% of greenhouse gas emissions. By making simple changes, like using the proper amount of insulation, we can save half of the energy it takes to heat, cool, light, and otherwise provide power to buildings. And, with buildings lasting for 40-50 years or more, efficiency choices we make now will last at least a generation.

Cutting fuel costs on the road: CO2 emissions from cars and trucks account for about one-third of all energy-related global warming pollution in the United States. Cars bought in the United States last year averaged only 20 miles per gallon (mpg), which is less than half the gas mileage available on the most efficient cars today and about the same as a 1908 Model T. We can do better than a car introduced 100 years ago. With American innovation and technology, we can offer all cars with much better fuel economy and the same level of safety and features we expect. And the opportunities are not just available for cars: heavy-duty trucks, which transport about 60% of the goods we buy and use 39 billion gallons of fuel every year, can also become more efficient. Effective gas mileage standards and support for innovative technologies will keep our transportation system moving while greatly decreasing our environmental impact.

Making new appliances more energy-efficient: By using energy-efficient products at home and at work, we can significantly reduce our greenhouse gas emissions without sacrificing function, style, or features. For the home and at work, we already have excellent federally rated EnergyStar appliances that are designed to use 10 to 50 percent less energy and water than other appliances.

In a nutshell -- buy the most efficient technologies available. Stop wasting energy at home, at work, and on the road. And importantly - ask your leaders to set new standards for efficiency for all sectors so that from now on 'best practice' in energy efficiency becomes normal practice for everyone.

EVERY LITTLE BIT (and BIT BIT) helps! it is truly crucial.

if we all drove a little less .. and used less electricity in a million ways .. it would help. i do not expect this world to return to 'former times' entirely (nor am i sure i would want it to) .. however, each lifestyle can comfortably impact this issue in a positive way is certainly a 'good thang'.

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  09:26:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Frannie-

That's a great article. I really believe that every bit helps! Plus, when my line is full, my yard has more shade which is so nice in this hot weather.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

msjocee
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Josie
Canyon Country CA
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  09:27:43 AM  Show Profile
Iam trying to get hubby to put up a clothes line for me. He is afaird clothes will get sun bleached! I am working on him!!!

Mom to wild boys: Miah(10), and Jakie(6)

"Everything is Possible for They who believe."
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  09:31:38 AM  Show Profile
Oh boy.

Sure wish I could go back to using the line. If for anything just to cut costs. Our dirt road and the crazy drivers make it impossible. Even if I did, I be turnin' the dryier on anyway just to get the dust out of the clothes!
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  12:52:20 PM  Show Profile
I remember at our first house, my Mom dried the clothes out on a line. We had the "T" shaped line. At each end were climbing roses. Those rose bushes would climb right down the lines! Our clothes (especially those sheets) always smelled like roses!

--I am grateful. I have enough.--
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  1:01:49 PM  Show Profile
you gurlz have reminded me that i have a mos' delightful olde, olde, olde .. wonderful black and red and mustard clothesline pole (the ropes are still on it too!) that folds OUT .. it does have to be cemented into the ground .. cuz' it's BIG .. i've not wanted to put it outside because it is olde wood. surely no room INSIDE for it .. i might just put it out and let momma' nature do her thing over the years. as long as i get to enjoy it .. that's what it's all about! (gotta' dig it outta' the schoolhouse though). xo

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  1:12:35 PM  Show Profile
I think you have a valid point Alee! That is why it is so important that we continually try to improve upon the ways we take care of our earth. My hubby put up the clothes line I had been begging for him to do for four years. I already have seen a decrease in our electric bill.
Josie, we have a large amount of black clothing that we hang on the line. I have never noticed any sun bleaching. However, I don't let it hang all day either. Heck, if it all fades at the same pace I am less likely to notice anyways!
Planting a climbing rose bush back by the poll sounds delightful. I think I will try to go and find one of those older more fragrent varieties to plant.

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/

Although no one can go back and make a brand new start; anyone can start from now
and make a brand new end.
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  2:34:11 PM  Show Profile
Wow! I really want to get a clothesline now! And I've heard that after being dried in the sun and breeze, the clothes just feel that much better!

Chelsey
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  3:13:22 PM  Show Profile
You know, I think you have a valid point, Alee. I can totally see how dryer heat emitting from houses all over the world could contribute.
I love my clothesline. (Even if I do have to be a gymnast to stretch up to reach up to the front lines.) My goal is to deck underneath the pergola so I have a level surface to stand on. Plus, in a pinch, I can set up seating for parties on it since my lines are up and out of the way. Hmmm. I see another project coming on....

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  3:18:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Okay- now I need more than one clothes line! LOL But I am very impressed with how fast most everything did dry though!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  4:40:06 PM  Show Profile
in maryjane's outpost book .. did you girls see page: 6 .. with the clothes line and clothes rack at the edge of the woods? jus' strung onto trees! i love those olde racks .. have a few .. gonna' put one out by our outpost to hang clothes that might get wet while wading in the 'crick'. xo

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  5:38:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have an all wooden clothes rack and my clothes line is strung from a tree to the house! How funny is that?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic I have a new theory--- Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page