Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic cabbage soup? Next Topic  

hapyhrt
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2005 :  11:57:28 AM  Show Profile
Mm-mm, reading about ya'll baking bread and apple pies with cheese and all has gotten me hungry! LOL

The weather has been cold and damp here for nearly 2 weeks now and it's good homemade bread and soup time! So, wondering if anyone has an easy but delicious cabbage soup recipe to share? Hubby won't eat it of course, but I'll be enjoying it for days!

We once lived next door to an elderly polish woman who made the most delicious cabbage soup and would share it with me. I remember how she'd call me to come over and get a large mason jar full of her soup! Yum!!!! I had asked several times for the recipe but she said there wasn't any recipe, she used whatever she had on hand to make the soup. I recall barley, some beef, tomatoes being in the soup along with the cabbage but there must have been more in there along with spices. Sadly, she we moved and lost contact with her and I saw in the newspaper that she had passed away last December after years of living in a nursing home.

Anyway...I'd sure appreciate a cabbage soup recipe if you've got a tried and true one that you don't mind sharing! Thanks!

"Think happy thoughts...any others aren't worth your time!" Ü

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2005 :  12:47:20 PM  Show Profile
OK, don't tell my mother I gave you this recipe. It's an old family recipe from the German side of my family. It's not soup, but if you like cabbage, you'll love this.

Sweet and Sour Cabbage
1 medium head cabbage
1 can whole tomatoes, cut into chunks
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
meatballs (optional)
beef short ribs (optional)
mashed potatoes, made the way you like them.

Cut cabbage into large chunks. Combine cabbage, tomatoes, sugar and vinegar, and meat if using, in large pot. Bring to a boil. (I promise you don't need more liquid than this. The cabbage releases a lot of liquid when it cooks). Lower to a simmer and cook until cabbage is tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Serve with mashed potatoes.
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2005 :  1:21:08 PM  Show Profile
Love cabbage soup. There is a restaurant near here that serves cowboy style, just serve yourself. They bring your steak on a plate, but then have cabbage soup, beans, salad, and bread at the table. Their cabbage soup is great, made with beef broth onions, cabbage, and chunks of cooked bacon. Yummy. I made cabbage soup today, I cooked carrots, onions, and celery in chicken broth. I pureed this then added more broth, some frozen homemade tomato paste, chunks of leftover chicken breast, more chopped celery and rice, when the rice was done I added leftover steamed cabbage, salt and fresh ground pepper, and simmered just enough to heat up the cabbage. I added lemon pepper to mine. It was so good, we will have it for supper.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2005 :  3:02:56 PM  Show Profile
Sher, Here is my favorite cabbage soup and the best part is it's really easy and quick.

CHEESE AND VEGETABLE CHOWDER
4 cups water; 3 cups shredded cabbage; 1 cup finely chopped Canadian style bacon; 2 large carrots, thinly sliced; 1 5.25 to 5.5 oz. pkg. dry au gratin potato mix; 1 cup milk; 1 tsp. cornstarch; 1 cup green beans.
In a 4 quart dutch oven combine the water, cabbage, bacon, carrots, and the dry potatoes with sauce mix. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Combine the milk and cornstarch; add to soup along with beans. Simmer, covered,for 10 to 15 minutes more or until beans are tender. MAkes 4 - 6 main dish servings.

I hope you like it.

Mary

The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it. Wm. James

Edited by - quilt8305 on Oct 20 2005 3:03:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2005 :  3:43:42 PM  Show Profile
Amanda...Oh my I love the sound of your recipe! I am German background and ADORE cabbage...DH is Irish and we have to have corned beef and cabbage on St.Patty Day...do you by chance have a recipe for the meatballs? I want to make this for the weekend. The other soups here sound superb also! YUM! (Could get a little "prairie wind" going here in Kansas)

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2005 :  5:18:23 PM  Show Profile
Meadowlark! Neil's coming over for supper???? Put another plate on, and I'll be right there!!!

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2005 :  8:12:33 PM  Show Profile
The great thing about cabbage soup is it doesn't matter what you put in it, it will taste wonderul. Cabbage is the greatest base. Usually I call it fridge-clean soup: I use up all the veggies that are getting ugly in my fridge, and the wierd stuff hanging out in my pantry. Start with some sort of stock or broth (homemade veggie stock or chicken broth--water is fine, too!!) Add a head of cabbage, roughly chopped (I like big chunks, so I just chop into wedges), an onion is always nice, a few cubed potatoes, some carrots, maybe a can of beets, a can or two of beans and tomatoes. A little couscous or barley is excellent, too. Add a couple bay leaves and whatever other spices you like, then cook it as long as you want. :) This is the most forgiving soup EVER. Such a great winter soup. You can make it in the crock-pot, too. -Annie
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2005 :  06:46:18 AM  Show Profile
Meadowlark, I always make it vegetarian, because unlike my recent ancestors, I keep kosher, and I really like my mashed potatoes made with milk and butter. They're just standard meatballs, you know, made with bread crumbs and an egg.
Go to Top of Page

hapyhrt
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  06:24:04 AM  Show Profile
Ooh, thanks so much for sharing your recipes and ideas for making delicious cabbage soup, yum! Can't wait to get that soup pot simmering with homemade soup! Thanks again to all who shared! :)

"Think happy thoughts...any others aren't worth your time!" Ü
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic cabbage soup? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page