Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 When did you give up on certain dreams???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic When did you give up on certain dreams??? Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  09:43:03 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
As I move into a new stage in my life, I realize that those dreams I was so passionate about just may be that...dreams. I forever wanted to be a country gal with a little house, gardens, animals running around but now that the corporate world has come calling, I am realizing a whole new world I never knew about and I am really starting to like it. I now dream of the corner office with the view, beautiful suits, lunch meetings in beautiful restaraunts, coming home and finally having the $$$ to finance our travel and leisure dreams. I can still have a little country house but maybe not the whole enchilada. Sure as heck ain't getting my cowgirl boots!!!

I know being a farmgirl is "A condition of the heart" and I can always carry that with me, but my life is seemingly going in such a different direction. I am really starting to enjoy the city more, I love the architecture, the history, the abundance of food, shopping, cultural choices. What is happenning to me???

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90

moxieblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

121 Posts

USA
121 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  10:48:25 AM  Show Profile
I'm in the same situation, just on the opposite side. I always dreamed of being a wheelin' and dealin' businesswoman, working in corporate retail management at a VP level or so. Living in a big city, nice office, expensive lunches, big house, etc. Then I got INTO business... and realized it wasn't me AT ALL. I longed for something creative and laid-back, and realized that I just didn't quite fit the mold enough to be successful in business. Que Sera Sera.

Being a farmgirl IS a condition of the heart... there should be more Farmgirls in the business world, things would be much better off. If you enjoy it and it works for you, don't be ashamed, embrace it! Bring some of that farmgirl caring and smarts into the city with you and see what happens.

If I've learned anything, it's "never say never". Your farmgirl lifestyle dream may be put on hold for now, but you never know what you'll be doing 10 years from now. :)

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Farmgirl Sister #242
http://vintage-moxie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  11:08:05 AM  Show Profile
Heather, there are "seasons" in life. For now your season may be to go into the business world, with all that it offers. In the future, the Lord may lead you to another season. He has certainly done this in my life. I thought my life was set just a few years ago, then everything went in another direction.Now I am in yet another season of life, and it's good too! I just trust Him to guide me and to help me in each of the little journeys I'm taking while I'm here!

Caron

"Praise God from whom all blessings flow"

Farmgirl Sister #254
Heart of Texas Farmgirl Chapter
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  11:42:33 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks...that makes me feel a lot better. When I was 13, I went to a real mall for the first time and I saw all these business women, in their perty suits, getting their nails done, they looked like they owned the world. I remember my first office job, I got invited to a home dinner at on of the executives. This house was GORGEOUS, our hostess had a one of those beautiful summer dresses and looked like a godess. She was also one of the nicest women I had ever met. I guess I can keep my flowers in my pots on the porch and I will still ALWAYS wear my jeans and cowgirls boots..it's just hard to adjust to such a big change once it is realized when you have been working towards something else for so long. I know this is all part of the journey.

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  12:17:16 PM  Show Profile
When my mother became aged and I had to drop alot and take care of her.

May God bless those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  12:25:07 PM  Show Profile
I realized this year that it's been 10 years since I graduated from college, and I'm probably never going to get to go on in school. I always saw myself as an academic type, and it makes me sad to think that I'll never get to do any real research or publish a scholarly paper.

Also, it's almost too late for me to start having children. I don't see anything changing in my life circumstances that would make it possible, and I have to ask myself: do I really care? Do I really want to raise a family, or is it just so much the expected path of a person's life that I feel like I'm failing at something if I don't hurry up and get with the program?

I guess the question then becomes, what kind of life do I have if not the kind of life I expected?
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  12:58:58 PM  Show Profile
Give up?? not me..not ever!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  1:08:14 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Maybe give up is not the right word...just things are taking another path right now and while I am excited, maybe it is the fear of letting go to move on.

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  1:27:03 PM  Show Profile
You should do whatever makes you happy Heather..sounds like you are happy with the changes...so that is good. Really good!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  1:46:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Heather-

I think there are lots of paths in life and being a big business woman does not exclude you from being a farmgirl. Being a farmgirl really is a condition of the heart! You are so loving and giving- you will always be a farmgirl even if you always live in the city. Those loving touches, that caring heart, the creativity and ingenuity- that's being a farmgirl and that's you down to your toes (painted or not!)!

Hold your head up and be proud of who you are. You are a strong and loving woman and perhaps your dream farm is more in the future for retiring or maybe you will be one of the lucky people that can have the city life during the week and the farm life on the weekend!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  2:54:27 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks all!!! I guess I am just one of those people who wants it all...and will have it all, but change can be overwhelming, even for this gypsy gal.

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  2:58:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Dreams can change Heather, like others said there are seasons.

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

Continuous effort, not strength or intelligence is the key to unlocking our potential
Liane Cardes

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

www.justanotherhousewife.etsy.com

Aunt Debs Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5848156
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  6:55:50 PM  Show Profile
You know it is funny, but your question made me realize, I am not a dreamer. Oh sure I had the little girl dreams of growing up and being a wife and mommy. But, I am so much a realist that I tend to deal in facts and plans of action. Maybe it is my true Scorpio nature that makes me this way!!

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  7:04:45 PM  Show Profile
As long as you can still be a Longhorn fan! \___/
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  7:05:31 PM  Show Profile
great advice the gurlfrenz are giving you miz heather. i look at life as our BOOK ... with CHAPTERS. Different chapters bring different experiences (and dreams) and people and places into our life .. all of which make us who we are. And honey ... it is MORE THAN ALRIGHT to love the 'business world' .. the 'city' and all the excitement and adventure and learning (and yesssssssss .. MONEY) that it can bring to you. If you are happy in your heart .. you will be happy in all chapters and you will find time to fulfill the farmgirl, the citygirl, the gypsy .. all that reside in your soul. EMBRACE IT!

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  7:18:28 PM  Show Profile
AMEN MISS FRANNIE!!!!

I STILL have dreams, and as long as I have the life and energy within me I mean to LIVE each and every single one of them! YAHOO!!! Look out world! Here I come!!!! ~~~ Tracy ~~~

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  7:33:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
How thoughtful and incisive everyone is.....and I do agree.....life is filled with different paths we take and wander through....it is what will make the distance traveled so wonderful ... all the things that you do and all the experiences that you have. Never feel troubled by what calls you at different times in your life....we each have more then one side to who we are.......Savor All the parts! Take in All the Opportunities! What wonderful stories you will have to tell your Grandchildren!!!

Until Later,
Audrey

~ Side by side or miles apart....dear friends are always close to the heart ~
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  8:03:46 PM  Show Profile
Well said Audrey. ~~~Hugs!~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  07:17:27 AM  Show Profile
The Road Not Taken
by Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth.

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same.

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

I posted up this poem, because it really resonates with the question I think. Life is full of paths not taken. There have been so many things that have interested me in my life, but I am only one person, one traveller and must choose my path as I go. I may get back to the other paths, but I may not, and that's okay. Sometimes I find myself saying, "if I lived another life it would be neat to do ___." If you focus on the things you love about the life you lead, then the other paths don't seem as alluring.

Dreams can shift and change as we grow and learn more about what we really want-

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

Great discussion girls!

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  07:28:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Isn't it amazing how we grow and change with time? As a little girl I always wanted to raise horses for a living. I put that dream away as childish, decided to try to be a vet, changed my mind and felt like I was drifting for a long time. About 3 years ago now, I met some wonderful people that taught me and showed me that my old dream was still there. That is now my goal for my future!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic When did you give up on certain dreams??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page