Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Chapters
 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter
 New York Farmgirls???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic New York Farmgirls??? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  5:20:03 PM  Show Profile
Brenda-

That sounds wonderful!!! My friend lived in Schertz when she was there previously. Her husband worked for the Scooter Store and is accepting a position with them again. I'm sure they will be in the area but not sure where exactly. She is not a farmgirl,exactly, but wants to learn to garden. Perhaps we can get her connected with someone to give her a hand with that!

Carrie

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Brenda
True Blue Farmgirl

168 Posts

Brenda
Boerne Texas
USA
168 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  07:59:56 AM  Show Profile
Carrie,
Schertz isn't too far from us. That is a nice area. My husband is the gardener in the family, he could plant a rock and something would grow! :O) I'm good at the upkeep; watering, pulling weeds, etc. But get me to plant something and it will die. :O( This fall we are going to build a green house and some raised beds. We live on a hill which is pretty much solid rock, so we have to go the raised bed route. When she gets settled in and is ready to start gardening, she is welcome to come see our place and get pointers from my hubby.

Take care,
Brenda

Brenda
Farmgirl Sister #292
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  11:58:56 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Brenda! They just left Maine last week and will be staying with her husbands family in U.C. (is that Universal City????).

Raised beds sound great. You can control the weeds and work in them easier. Has your husband ever tried square foot gardening??? That is great for what you are doing!

Fall is on it's way...pumpkins are turning orange and the trees are beginning to turn. The air is less humid and at night we can feel a bit of "crispness" in the air. I love fall!!!

How is the weather in TX??

Carrie

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

LauraH
True Blue Farmgirl

305 Posts

Laura
North Creek New York
USA
305 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  5:28:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi Carrie-
I am in the adirondacks too! North Creek, NY. What are you planning on doing in the henhouse & how do I join? I have not joined the farmgirl sisterhood because I am not sure if I would have the time to devote to it.
thanks!
Laura

http://cottagekids-laura.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  11:22:41 AM  Show Profile
Hi Laura-

In order to join a henhouse, which is like a chapter only we meet online instead of in person, you will need to become a Sisterhood member and receive a number. Then you ask Sunny to set you up with a password so that you can join the chat/henhouse. It's like this chat room only more specific and limited to the ladies in the chapter.

Where is North Creek exactly? I have friend in Stony Creek and I am familiar with the Lake Placid area. What do you like to do? Garden is difficult in the Mts because of the climate and short growing season...do you grow anything??

Carrie

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Brenda
True Blue Farmgirl

168 Posts

Brenda
Boerne Texas
USA
168 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  2:51:18 PM  Show Profile
Hi Carrie,

Yes, my husband has done in the past and loves square foot gardening, I think that is what he is planning to do again.

We have friends who live in Universal City, I know exactly where that is. It is close to Schertz where your friends used to live.

Just last night I was telling my husband that I am so ready for the fall, I too love the fall. It has been raining off and on the last few days. One of the days it was actually cool in the morning and evening and felt so good. Made me wish fall would hurry up and get here. I love to decorate for the fall and every year we have our annual "Harvest Party". We have several "theme parties", but the "Harvest Party" is my favorite!

Do you grow your own pumpkins? If so, are they easy to grow? I know pumpkins do well here, I would love to have a pumpkin patch for our harvest parties. :O)

Brenda
Farmgirl Sister #292
Go to Top of Page

LauraH
True Blue Farmgirl

305 Posts

Laura
North Creek New York
USA
305 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  05:12:13 AM  Show Profile
Carrie-
North Creek is about 1 1/2 hrs. south of Lake Placid., in the adirondacks, 25 min north of Lake George.I do garden mostly in containers now(easier with our colder summers lately & very short season)This year I grew 9 varieties of heirloom tomatoes, wax & green beans, jack be little pumpkins for my 2 girls, cucumbers and a ton of herbs and some flowers.
I work full time at our local school, go to college full time, and we have chickens, and bees. We had turkeys a few years back.
I love to crochet, knit and my first degree is in Culinary Arts, I love to cook!
Laura

http://cottagekids-laura.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  10:28:37 AM  Show Profile
Laura--

What a background!! Culinary arts would be so much fun to do...I would love to learn more about the chemistry and physics of cooking. I experiment a lot already, but imagine what one could do with more know how!! Where did you go to school for that? What are you taking right now...and where are you attending? I did an online AA Degree through Empire State which worked real well with homeschooling and raising my kids and chickens. I'd like to take classes for my BA when I have mroe time to focus on that.

Sounds like you are not too far north to have a garden! Do your tomatoes do pretty well every year? We had a bad summer this year...too dry, then too wet and now....well, too late, I guess. They won't ripen most likely. Have you ever tried exotic beans like giants or reds?? Mine are so pretty in the garden...nice flowers and some have long red beans that we haven't tried yet but will by the end of the week.

Have you tried those black heirloom tomatoes???

Please join me in the Henhouse if you join the sisterhood!!!

Carrie

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  10:34:12 AM  Show Profile
Brenda--

Yes...pumpkins are pretty easy!!! You could get nice big ones in TX because you have a long season. They just need lots of room because the vines spread out real big. They are heavy feeders so some compost in the soil it a good idea, or rotate the crop with a fixer like beans or peas.

Corn is fun, too. Even if you only do a row or two you can get enough stalks to decorate with. I don't always get ears (you can hand polinate to ensure better ears) but I like to tie the stalks to posts and fence ends.

I love the fall decorating too...earthy colors and harvest type deco. It's a wonderful time of year.

I enjoy square foot gardening but when my hubby is involved we have to do long straight rows just like grandma used to do!!! I don't like to garden that way because I like a little of this and a little of that and none of it feeling overwhelming. Oh, well. I do like his help so we comprimise. My herb and flower beds are more like square foot gardens with veggies and whatever mixed in. They look so lovely.

Happy fall!!

Carrie

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Brenda
True Blue Farmgirl

168 Posts

Brenda
Boerne Texas
USA
168 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  4:14:17 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Carrie, I can't wait to get our beds ready this fall. Oh and I like the idea for the corn, hadn't thought about it...I love the corn stalks for decorating, usually have to buy them.

Take care and Happy Fall to you too!

I will continue to check in on the NY thread from time to time...

Brenda
Farmgirl Sister #292
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic New York Farmgirls??? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page