Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Chapters
 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter
 New York Farmgirls???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic New York Farmgirls??? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  08:17:22 AM  Show Profile
Anyone in the NY area is invited to join me in the Aprons of the Adirondacks Chapter! I realize that the Sisterhood is taking everyone some time to get used and learn to navigate, so I hope that some NY ladies find me...

there just have to be some NY farmgals out there!!!

Carrie M

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing

des
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Desiree
West Hurley NY
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  2:02:28 PM  Show Profile
Hi Carrie, I'm a NY farm girl, too! I am starting a chapter in the Woodstock Area and just joined the Sisterhood.
Where are you located? I am excited to get my packet. I have a daughter who is about to turn 12 and she is already working on projects. I think we might call our chapter the Apple Blossom Farmgirls.

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  7:00:50 PM  Show Profile
I'm in NY, but I think far from both of you. I'm in Queens.
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  02:36:13 AM  Show Profile
Hey Carrie, there are a bunch of us 'out west' ie; around Rochester and Buffalo so it might be a bit of a hike for us! I'm sure we would have stopped by if we could!
Have fun!
Angie

"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  11:51:49 AM  Show Profile
Hello Desiree, Heather, and Angie!

I'm so glad to hear I am not a lone Sister in this State! I am about one hour north of Albany in the foothills of the Adirondacks. I would love to have you all join the online chapter "Aprons of the Adirondacks"! I realize that we are very widespread and would not have a "physical" chapter due to distance, but would love to build up the henhouse as much as possible.

Desiree, sounds like you have a chapter up and going...Good for you!

Heather, tell me about Queens...how do you enjoy the farmlife in your area?? I have a friend that is from that area and she worked on a farm that brought city kids in to see animals and ride horses and learn where food comes from etc...she loved it!

Angie, I am definately far from you (five hours at least, I think) but would love to learn more about your area. We visited Ithaca in March and loved it...didn't know it was so agricultural there! So many vineyards and veggie farms...milder climate than where I am. Is that far from you? You get rather snowy winters, do you not?? Do you garden? What is farmlife like for you...something you get to live??

I farm on a half acre in a distinctly agricultural portion of New York. Washington County has all kinds of agricultural opportunities, including every kind of farm available in a four season climate! My husband's youth involved life on a dairy farm and my teenage years were spent hobby farming with my father. It wasn't something I enjoyed much at the time (except for the two horses and pony) but I am so grateful for the learning. We raise chickens and a garden. We are looking for more land to allow a goat project and homesteading opportunities.

Have you all read MaryJane's Outback book yet?? I just finished and want so much to head out into the wilderness...it's making me crazy! I've been sleeping in the yard just so I can feel the night air on my face :) Wish the Harleys wouldn't drive by and remind me I'm not really "out there"!

Till later...]
carrie

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

KellyA
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Kelly
Johnsonville NY
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  4:38:28 PM  Show Profile  Send KellyA an AOL message
Hi, Carrie!

I live not too far from you, I think...10 minutes west of Schaghticoke!! My mom, a fellow farmgirl (a rose) lives in Halfmoon. I married a "farm boy", too! We don't live on the family farm, but we live on an old chicken farm, and I pretend to be a farmgirl by growing herbs, some veggies, and (not by choice) ants...we seem to grow them big this year... :-)
My son raised chickens up til last summer, but he sold them at the Schaghticoke Fair because he thought he was heading away to college. Hudson Valley's price couldn't be beat, though, so he is staying home! I know at fair time he will be hinting about more chickens!

Take care!!

Kelly
When a cookbook is in hand, life is good!
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  03:00:03 AM  Show Profile
Winters?? Oh boy do we get em'!Seems like every year winter gets longer and longer but....
I used to hate winter but really I now look at it as an opportunity to stay inside, nice and cozy in front of the fire and sew, knit, read.
No point in fighting the inevitable right!
It is lovely countryside around here, lots of farms, rolling hills and yes vineyards too. I am very lucky to live in the country but actually only 20 minutes into the burbs of Rochester if i need a Borders or Joann's fix.! Can't ask for more than that!

"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  08:26:16 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hey Carrie,
Good for you! I love that you have jumped in and taken on the sisterhood and the farmgirls up in your area....It is so much fun to see all the chapters popping up across the US (and beyond).. and the sisterhoods.......Oh my the things you all are doing. SO much talent and farmgirl know how!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

"Despite the gardener's best intentions, Nature will improvise. ~Michael P. Garafalo
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  09:34:06 AM  Show Profile
Kelly-

We are very close! I have been to the fair in Scag a couple times, though we mostly do the Wash County fair which is closer. Your herb and veggie farming sounds delightful...I have to grow things no matter where I am. There is therapy in gardening...ants and all! Do you do tomatoes and carrots?? Mine are not growing well this year and I am hearing similar complaints. Wondered if it was the weather or some other condition affecting them. My sage is growing well, which helps to make up the difference! What do you grow??

I know so many young people who have attended HV...hear good stuff about it. If he wants to start up a flock again I have laying hens for sale if you are interested :)

Are you going to be joining the Sisterhood?? Please come on board in Aprons of the Adirondacks and we can try to pull together an online group. If all goes well we can do physical get-togethers, but at least we can meet and chat online!

Carrie M

PS--Rene--I am an avid crafter and just can't wait to learn something new! Sometimes I drive myself crazy trying to do every idea I find :( What are you working on???

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Go to Top of Page

KellyA
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Kelly
Johnsonville NY
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  10:06:12 AM  Show Profile  Send KellyA an AOL message
Jeez, Carrie, I just got back from vacation (Ticonderoga) and read this...sorry it took so long!
I am growing tomatoes, cukes, squash,pumpkins and hot peppers...as well as a variety of herbs and flowers. Everything seems to be doing okay at this point in time!

I will let Dennis know about the hens if he starts hinting about starting his flock back up...thanks!

I don't think I am joining at this point in time...I tend to be hit and miss on the board, and I am dealing with working at my local library a lot while the head librarian has hip surgery, and trying to help my mom (a rose) with her battle with lung cancer. Then, I go back to work at Hoosic Valley in September.

I do appreciate the chat from a local, though! Thanks!

Kelly
When a cookbook is in hand, life is good!
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  3:05:46 PM  Show Profile
I was on vacation too. I didn't say anything cause I wasn't sure if we would go. The thing is, we didn't have the money to go, but MIL wanted to go and said she would pay for us to come. But, she has "said" that before, and then it never comes to fruitation. I've been married to my husband for 8 years, and this is the FIRST time she actually followed through. Not that I expect her to ever pay for a vacation for us, but I just know not to really expect it at all even though she is always saying she is going to. lol hahaha Again, I'm not trying to sound like a brat, cause I'm not, I don't expect her or any one to pay for our vacations, it's just that she always wants us to go on vacation with her, and circumstances are we can't afford them, and she is always saying that's ok she will pay....then it just never happens. lol Any way long story long, she went through with it this time. And I was totally not expecting to go. Not even the actual day it came! lol hahaha

Any way.........I will try to join your team! :)

Hmmm, I don't do much "farming" here in Queens. I live in the second largest co-op in the world. We have one small gardening spot, but you have to be on a waiting list for it. It's a very small spot. It took us 5 years on the parking spot waiting list, and they have a LOT more parking spots then garden spots, so I'm thinking it will be a long while before we come up on that waiting list! lol hahaha

But, I do love to sew, embroider, cross stitch, cook and the like. :)
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  3:08:03 PM  Show Profile
oh PS I did have some loverly plants in the window, till I had my daughter, then they got put in a window I can rarely get to (my husband piles stuff in front of it), and being busy with my daughter I would forget to water them. They died! lol hahaha I had them for around 7 years. And they were huge. It was/is kind of sad. They were mainly gardenia's, but also geraniums and a few other plants as well.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  3:09:26 PM  Show Profile
ok I tried to join the team, but it says it's not accepting new applicants at this time. :(
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  08:52:12 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Heather-

Glad to have you...keep trying...I know that computers create gliches and they sometimes need time.

Till later-

Carrie

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  1:20:53 PM  Show Profile
ok, I will.
Go to Top of Page

pasofino
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Claudia
Stony Creek New York
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  6:07:47 PM  Show Profile  Send pasofino a Yahoo! Message
Carrie is that you????? Claudia

happy trails
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2008 :  09:41:15 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Claudia, It is me!! Glad to finally see you here! Check out the henhouses and PLEASE join me...I need more members!

Let's get together and work on a merit badge!

cArrie

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2008 :  1:50:37 PM  Show Profile
Well, I think it's kind of sad, about the henhouses, cause I keep trying to join and I'm sure others have too, but it says it's not accepting new members. :(
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  10:25:15 AM  Show Profile
Heather--
Are you just seeking to get in and join an existing henhouse?? That is really wierd!

Have you emailed Sunny to see what's up? It could be a glitch.

Hope to see you there soon~
CArrie

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  11:54:06 AM  Show Profile
I think it's a glitch. When ever I click on register, it says not accepting new members.

Later yesterday I decided to just start clicking on any and all links to see if I could find a different way of joining. Then I figured out what the problem is/was. I see you have to buy the membership for 20 dollars. Right now I don't have that. So I probably won't be able to join. But, at least I figured it out. lol

However, that register link should go to the payment stuff, explaining about the 20 dollar membership fee, cause farmgirls who DO have the money aren't going to be able to figure out how to register. Since all it says, is they are not accepting new members at this time.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Brenda
True Blue Farmgirl

168 Posts

Brenda
Boerne Texas
USA
168 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  2:33:47 PM  Show Profile
Hi NY Farmgirls,
I just popped in to say Hi from Texas. The "NY" caught my eye because that is where a lot of my father's side of the family is from and still lives. My dad grew up outside of Buffalo in a small town named Warsaw. We use to visit my grandmother and relatives every summer. My dad's aunt and his sister had dairy farms in the area. That was the only time growing up I was around farm animals. We always made the Niagra Falls and Letchworth State Park trip. And boy could Warsaw put on a great firework show on 4th of July! I lived my first two years in Rochester then my mother got home sick and didn't like the winters so they moved to the warmer climate in Texas. Anyways, just wanted to say Hi. My husband and I will be going up there next summer for a family reunion, I can't wait because I haven't been to beautiful upstate New York in 29 years. :O)

Brenda
Farmgirl Sister #292

Edited by - Auntie Brenda on Aug 12 2008 2:36:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  1:44:08 PM  Show Profile
Brenda-

How nice to hear from you and I hope that you enjoy your visit next summer! Rochester is a couple hours from me, I am in the foothills of the Adk Mts and very close to the VT border. I spent a spring in Hitchcock TX (near Galveston) many years ago. It was so hot!!! I would miss snow dreadfully, but do not like the cold. LOL!

Do you have farm animals now???

Carrie

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  1:45:30 PM  Show Profile
Heather-

That makes sense!!! To become part of the Henhouse you must have a membership and a member number. I hope to see you there sometime soon. I agree that it sounds like it is confusing, especially if you are new to the site.

carrie

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Brenda
True Blue Farmgirl

168 Posts

Brenda
Boerne Texas
USA
168 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  4:35:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi Carrie,

Nice to meet you! We don't have farm animals, next spring we would like to build a chicken coop and have some chickens for eggs and my husband would like a couple of minature donkeys. But for now we just have our cats and dogs.

I do look forward to our trip next summer it will be fun to see all my cousins and aunts and uncles who still live there. :O) I hope you don't mind me popping in once in awhile to say howdy to you NY Farmgirls! :O)

Take care,

Brenda
Farmgirl Sister #292
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  1:25:56 PM  Show Profile
Auntie Brenda--

Don't mind at all!!! I'm losing my Northeast girlfriend to Texas so you'll be another link to her!! She will be in the San Antonio area again after a short stint in not so far away Maine.

Good luck with the hens...I enjoy mine but I have way too many now! Almost 50 birds is a little much for my 1/2 acre!

Carrie

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Brenda
True Blue Farmgirl

168 Posts

Brenda
Boerne Texas
USA
168 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  1:39:35 PM  Show Profile
Carrie,
I am in the San Antonio area too, just 30 miles west. Is your friend from here? If you ever come visit and have some time, I'd love to go to lunch.

Take care,

Brenda
Farmgirl Sister #292
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic New York Farmgirls??? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page