sdleah
True Blue Farmgirl

93 Posts

Leah
Pittsburg TX
USA
93 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  2:27:51 PM  Show Profile
I am starting to have some syptoms of gestational diabetes, or at least some major blood sugar issues. So I am going on a strict no refined sugar/no processed foods diet. I don't eat artificial sweeteners. So can you girls give me some good ideas, especially for treats, that would fit into the way I'm eating?

Leah
wife to the greatest guy in the world
Mom to Ethan, 4 yrs. old, Philip, 23 months, and our holiday baby due December 4th

www.narrowgatemorgans.com

LindaMAlbert
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Linda
Belgrade Montana
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  9:01:51 PM  Show Profile
Dear Leah,
Congratulations on your joyful expectations! Go ahead and splurge and treat yourself to all the farm fresh and hopefully organic fruit in season you can lay your hands on. It's full of vitamins, minerals and antioxidents and the natural water and fiber content will help keep you regular, very important right now, help regulate excess water retention and help prevent excess water retention which in turn will help prevent varicose veins and eclampsia. The fiber in whole fruits keeps slows the absorption of the fruit sugars and thus preventing spikes in blood sugar. Of course lots and lots of dark green leafy vegetables and salads dresses with organic vinegar and fruity extra-virgin olive oil. If you need some munchies, soak almonds, walnuts or brazil nuts overnight in cold water to cover into which you optionally stir 1 tablespoon of miso for savory or 2 tablespoons maple syrup for sweet, then drain and dry in a 200 degree oven or in a food dehydrator until crispy. If you are barbequeing on a wood grill you can dry almonds in a metal pan over the remainder of the coals, pushed to either side, with a few soaked wood wood chips for smoked almonds. And MaryJane's new Outpost book has some really yummy looking popcorn mixes. I can't wait to try them.

There is no faith which has never yet been broken except that of a truly faithful dog.
~Konrad Lorenz

Edited by - LindaMAlbert on Jul 19 2008 9:03:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  6:24:03 PM  Show Profile
While a good basic balanced diet should include lots of fruits (and even more veggies), not all sources are ideal for the diabetic. I recommend checking out the American Diabetes Association Web site for pointers, or ask her physician for a referral to a diabetes management program where she can get practical info. Meanwhile, Leah, you might want to pick up a package of graham crackers. They make a good before-bedtime snack (3 squares are about right) -- usually, you want some carbs before bedtime so your blood sugar stays more stable while you fast in your sleep. For mid-afternoon snacks, I also love an apple, or a few whole wheat crackers with about a tablespoon of peanut butter. You're smart to be so careful about your diet. Best wishes!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic diabetic cooking Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page