Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  3:21:39 PM  Show Profile
I have a big (and I mean real big) old hubbard squash cooking in the oven right now..can't wait to have some with supper. I plan to scoop out the rest and freeze for pies. The kids were so surprized that it was orange inside..it is the big brain looking pale grey blue type and they thought it would be the same color inside I guess!! I had them ask what they thought it was related to after I opened it and they said pumpkin. We saved some of the seeds and will try to grow our own next year. One of my favorites. I got it at a roadside stand.

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  3:42:36 PM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny, Let us know how your "brain squash" tastes! You crack me up! Do you put anything on it? Butter, salt, pepper?

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  7:31:52 PM  Show Profile
Jenny,
One year I brought home a huge gnarly blue hubbard for decorating the porch. When I noticed weeks later that there was a soft spot, I cut about third of it away and tossed it in the pasture and then cooked down the rest for pies and to freeze. I was amazed at how deeply orange it was. And so tasy.
Anyway, fast forward about nine months, when I tripped over something in the high grass in the pasture and discovered not one, but 19 blue hubbard squashes growing from the place where I dumped the soft spot
the year before!! It was like easter egg hunting in August! What a fun discovery. So save those seeds!!!They grow REAL easy!

www.feedsackfarmgirls.blogspot.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  7:47:08 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh! I'm gonna try that! I also plan to plant pumpkin seeds - we grew great pumpkin vines a few years ago - I need to check if we're in the right zone for growing them. Although, there are so many at roadside stands and feed store, I would think so...
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  9:33:08 PM  Show Profile
The squash turned out so good!!!! I cut it in half and baked it cut side down in about an inch of water in my biggest "enchilada pan" (I think it is actually the bottom part of a broiler pan..but that is what I call it) in the oven. When I took it out (after about an hour and 1/2 at 325) I turned the halves over and buttered them. At supper time I scooped some out and put a little brown sugar and cinnamon on each scoop and the kids LOVED it! Even my 9 year old son who claims to like summer squash and hate winter squash. I didn't tell him it was a winter squash..just a hubbard squash. We all had a big scoop with supper (mine with salt and pepper..no sugar) and then I scooped the rest out when it cooled and will make pies with it..and the chickens were thrilled to get the rinds with a little still stuck to it.
I will be planting them for sure. I had such a big squash bug problem this year..hope that isn't the case next year..but then my gardens will be all different since my old garden spot is now the cow pen...so we will see.
I was originally going to use this one for fall decor too, but decided it just sounded so yummy. I may just make a pot of soup too..yum!

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Hubbard squash.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page