MissWhit
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Whitney
Maine
USA
142 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  9:44:39 PM  Show Profile
Hello all! I noticed somewhere either on the forum or in the magazine about keeping all your back-issues of MJF Magazine and adding it to your child's hope chest. I would love to pass these special gifts on to my children! The thing is, until I moved to Utah I had NEVER heard of a hope/cedar chest. It's still kind of a fuzzy idea in my head, as to where they originated, what they are for, and what you put in them...any help?!?! I come from a very non-traditional family (i.e: no one bakes, sews, preserves, gardens, etc) I would love some education from all you fellow farmgirls :) Thanks so much!!

"The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest." Thomas More

Farmgirl Sister #154

Edited by - MissWhit on Jul 17 2008 9:45:39 PM

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  10:30:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
The idea of a Hope chest was to start out a young woman in life prepared for all she Hoped to do. This was often fancy nightgowns, embroidered pillowcases, sheets, towels, recipes. The girl in question and her mother would work literally for years creating and stashing things away in the Hope Chest for the day that she moved out (often to get married) to set up her own household.

In this more modern age, it's great to buy young women at least one nice set of sheets, blankets etc. Even embroidering pillowcases and table clothes!

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-hope-chest.htm

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  05:04:57 AM  Show Profile
Whitney,I had a hope chest when I was at home my mom and grandmother started for me. They let me make a list of colors I thought I would use in my home. Then for b-days or thrift finds. I would get things added to my hope chest I had so much I started putting things in my closet but it was a great help when I left home. I had dishes, silverware, bathroom accessories(mats,towels, washclothes,ect.)sheets anything really for a home. They even started me out with basic things for a medicine cabinet(bandaids,tylenol,pepto bismol,ect.) Cleaning supplies. We didnt really stick to any certain basics like the fancy things. Just things I would need and I did get some things just cause I liked it. I sure would have love some MJs books, I had to introduce Mjs books to my mom. Good luck on whatever you decide to put in the chest I'm sure it will be appreciated whatever you go with. Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  05:36:32 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
I started a hope chest for my daughter a few years ago. We have put linens, small household items, anything we find that she can use when she starts her own home. I frequent antique stores alot so I have bought her a few old pretties as well (silver spoons, china teacups, and a really pretty set of embroidered pillowcases). She has added a quilt she made and a couple of copper pots. I remember when I was in high-school all of the girls had or wanted a hope chest-alot of us recieved them on our sixteenth birthday.A few girls got them when they graduated. The only furniture store in town always gave the girls a small replica chest from Lane's a few months before graduation. I put this small chest in my daughters chest with some old photographs. I think these originated from back in the day when a young girl would leave her family and as part of her dowry she would come equiped with things to start her home. These things for the home would be put in a box or chest so she could transport them to her new home on her wedding day.

Let's dance in the rain and play in the puddles under the rainbows.
Go to Top of Page

MissWhit
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Whitney
Maine
USA
142 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  07:44:23 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone :) It sounds like such a wonderful tradition to start in my own family...great suggestions too...

"The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest." Thomas More

Farmgirl Sister #154
Go to Top of Page

mandi
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Amanda
Nashville Tennessee
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  08:25:23 AM  Show Profile
My mother has a cedar chest that we've always referred to interchangeably as a "hope chest" OR cedar chest. But I never really thought about what "HOPE chest" meant. The chest originally belonged to my Great Gram, who I believe used it as a hope chest for my Grandmother (I need to ask my mom about this to be sure). Now my mom has it and uses it more for storage of precious family heirlooms -- her wedding gown, pillowcases embroidered by my great-grandmother, delicate doilies, handkerchiefs, etc.

I've been wanting a cedar chest myself, very much, because I have some beautiful quilts I want to store safely. But now I want one even more so that I can use it as a hope chest for when I have a daughter one day! :)

Farmgirl Sister #264
http://www.mandiknits.com/farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  09:43:26 AM  Show Profile
My mom called hers a cedar chest. She didn't start one for me (oldest daughter) so I did my own (I am sort of independant that way..haha) when I was in high school. Mine was in a big red white and blue metal trunk..pretty obnoxious looking. I wanted a nice cedar chest desperatly but could't afford that.
I havn't done one for my girls and really should!! Thanks for the reminder! My girls are almost 14 and almost 12 right now..a good time to get going on them. They both love to do handwork too, so it would be fun to put in the things they enter in the fair and other special things they make as well as adding antique and thrift store finds, family things and new things.
When I did mine I added a few dishes and pans and things for my first apartment too..I was sure glad I did.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  3:22:11 PM  Show Profile
I started my own hope chest too, mine was one of those metal footlockers painted an aqua blue with contact paper on the inside to spruce it up..ha.
I would buy dishes on those Winn Dixie dish specials..a long time ago you could buy $10 worth of groceries and then get a dinner set for like $1.99 or something like that..ha.
So my first set of dishes were some of the golden brown with yellowish flowers..then I'd buy potholders and towels and so forth.
Naomi's grandparents bought her a cedar chest last year and I have been working on filling it up for her with all sorts of vintage items. I have managed to completely fill it already for her..but will of course add more things here and there for her.
I need to start one for my littlest gal too at some point.
I guess boys can have them too ya know...I wouldn't see why not..but of course more guy themed.maybe things like fishing supplies and tools and camping lanterns and a book on wilderness skills that sort of thing would be pretty handy for a guy or maybe a few woodworking type books or a handymans home fix it guide.
then some masculine type home items.Of course we moms would have to be the ones to stock them cause boys/young men just aren't into that sort of thing..but I think it would be a nice idea if a tradition like that was started for young men as well.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  7:09:18 PM  Show Profile
My mom got both my oldest boys footlockers (wood..really neat and not alike at all) for their 8th grade graduations. They used them for their secret stuff..mostly food and sports equipment..but I agree...boys do need to be stocked. When second son moved out We got out some boxes and he got alot of my older kitchen stuff...he didn't even want the good stuff!! But I like the idea of a sort of hope chest for boys too!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9363 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9363 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  5:40:00 PM  Show Profile
Both my daughters were given hope chests from their dad. The second daughter has what we call the "hope garage" since hers has been filled so often she had to start putting stuff in plastic tubs and storing out there.

Denise
farmgirl sister #43

"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  7:09:16 PM  Show Profile
I had a hope chest growing up, and after getting married and empty-ing it all out to set up house, I started filling it back up again with the precious baby keepsakes: hats and booties, hospital bracelets, tiny dresses and shoes, blankets, etc.

My MIL, who's been married now 3 times, calls hers the 'Hopeless Chest'. ;)

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MissWhit
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Whitney
Maine
USA
142 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  7:24:55 PM  Show Profile
Where do you get them? Furniture stores?

Farmgirl Sister #154
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  7:49:38 PM  Show Profile
Mine was from a second-hand furniture shop. Not charming enough to be an antique, but if fit the need!

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  06:54:00 AM  Show Profile
I never had a hopechest (though I wish I did!), but I did have very smart godparents :)

When I was little for birthday and christmases I would receive a piece of Birks silverware. When I was 6 I didn't really appreciate a silver teaspoon but! now that I am older I am very proud to have such a beautiful cutlery set for special occasions.

So- I encourage all those godparents and grandparents to add to the hopechest too. It makes the things inside even more special.

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  07:38:16 AM  Show Profile
Hah! Molly, the quote from your MIL is hysterical!!!

I never had one, being born in the 1970's to a fairly progressive mom (she's not even into weddings or baby showers or any "frilly" stuff), so I started one for my self when I was about 13. Right about then I became VERY interested in old linens, and victorian paperworks and things of that nature, so I just started collecting. Never sheets or anything like that, but silver napkin rings from my Nanny (that were down in the dark recesses of our basement) and her silver flatware, too.

It's not a bad idea to start one though, for your child--girl or boy. I like the idea of doing one for a boy--what a challenge!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

keeperofthehome
True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

Suzanne
Atlanta Georgia
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  10:14:20 AM  Show Profile
I never had one, but my sister did. I was to be the career girl and ended up being the SAHM while my sister ended up being the career girl. There is a neat website on hope chests called www.hopechestlegacy.com.

Blessings!
~Farrah
www.homesteadblogger.com/keeperofthehome/

Go to Top of Page

MissWhit
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Whitney
Maine
USA
142 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  1:40:16 PM  Show Profile
what a *GREAT* website! Thank you Farrah!!!!

Farmgirl Sister #154
Go to Top of Page

MissDana
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

Dana
Carrollton Georgia
USA
348 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  1:09:11 PM  Show Profile
I am so glad to find a discussion on Hope Chests! I am working on putting together one for each of my 3 kids. However, my son is 26 and owns a condo, my middle daughter is soon to be 21 and lives on campus in an apartment and then there is the 14 year old daughter. Putting things together to start up a household is old news for my son and middle girl, so I've started putting things in chests for the girls and I'm looking for an old wooden tool box for my son. I plan on making baby things like bibs, pillow cases, a quilt, old family children's books, old dolls I made for each of them and also household things like a knitted afghan by their grandmother, recipes and cookbooks, I am weaving table runners and placemats for each of them, Christmas ornaments, family heirlooms, etc. I am also working on wedding shawls for each of them that can be used as a christening wrap if they have kids. I had my mother's cedar hope chest and as a kid would embroider things and put them carefully inside. By the time I could have used some of the things inside, I was away at college and very "liberated" and let my sister have at it. I wish I had those things now!

Dana

Proud Farmgirl Sister # 267
schultztroupe.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Mommyswanson
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Laura
Waukegan IL
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  7:35:59 PM  Show Profile
I have an old Lane Hope Chest. They still offer beautiful chests.

Laura

http://www.hopecheststore.com/?gclid=CJWklc_J5pQCFRKhxgodnCirSg

"That which does not kill us makes us strong!" "I cast all my cares upon you Lord."
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  06:08:02 AM  Show Profile
My hope chest was my old wooden toy box that my grandfather had made for us. I stored up old things mom was getting rid of ( miss-matched serving pieces, old (now "vintage") table linnens) and some little things I'd find on my own, mostly kitchen stuff. I just ordered a pattern t make your own hopechest out of plywood (in my price range) and hopefully will get one done for my daughter's 13th birthday. Now if we can just get rid of the junk in her room so it would fit! ANyway, the website is www.hopechestlegacy.com
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

fiddlegirl89
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Kayla
Dunnville KY
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  11:47:09 PM  Show Profile  Send fiddlegirl89 an AOL message  Send fiddlegirl89 a Yahoo! Message
Right now I have my Mom's...it's full of a bunch of her stuff (such as scrap fabric that we go through and oohh, aahh, and "why did you keep this?"!) as well as a few things of mine...things that people have given me or Mom. I think there is even an baby girl outfit that a school friend of Mom's sent with one of Mom's pregnancies. (She didn't have a girl.) The chest is in storage right now, as I don't have my own room, and so I haven't been in it for a few months. There is a cedar chest in a local store here that I just LOVE...it is made of strips of wood, and the top is curved (maybe that would keep me from using it as a catch-all surface!) I have been making lots of dishcloths lately that I would love to put up. I started making them to use now, but I think Mom prefers the store-bought ones. Mine are too thick for her to wring out! I like the homemade ones!
I am 19 now, and I would like to start getting more...practical...stuff put away, such as "old" linens and things of that nature. As well as plenty of dishcloths, and aprons, of course! There is some really pretty china in a local thrift store, but it's a little out of my price range right now. I think it's $75.00 for a 35 piece set. (Anything over 50 cents is out of my price range right now!)
I love putting up old, pretty stuff!

http://www.custerfamilyfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Clemys Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Linda
MA
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  10:23:37 AM  Show Profile
Hope chests ! Had almost forgotten about what a big part they were of our coming of age. My mother started a collection of basis household needs for each of her two daughters when were about thirteen. Our grandmother and aunts added as the years went by. Our basic skills in sewing were put to use in making pillowcases, dresser scarves, dollies and stitched feed sacks into kitchen towels. This was during the early 60's to early 70's. Still a joy to see the handiwork of those dear women every day. My sister and I have named hand me down items from family with their names --- as "hand me the Aunt Clemy bowl to make the dressing in" or "see if you can find the Aunt Rhodie Jane platter to use for the pickles". I only hope that the future generation will say one day "put the cookies on Aunt Linda's plate, you know the one from Grandma's hope chest".

Aunt Clemys Farm Girl
Farm Girl #300

Kansas to Massachusetts

Edited by - Aunt Clemys Farm Girl on Aug 08 2008 10:26:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

bushelnpeck
True Blue Farmgirl

262 Posts

Debbie
Sparks Nv
USA
262 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  09:24:14 AM  Show Profile  Send bushelnpeck an AOL message
I got my hope chest on my 16th birthday, my Dad made it and my Mom put a few precious things in it to start me off. I have it still and I put special things in it, that our kids might think special at some point.I also got one of those small hope chests from Lane for graduation with best wishes from alot of people in it, which I still have as well. In my oponion, it would be a good thing for young people today, with so much of a throw away world, it might just leave them with some of their heritage that early on they didn't care about...Debbie

Farmgirl Sister #324

duty makes us do things, but love, makes us do things beautifully...
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Hope Chests... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page