Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic homeschool Next Topic  

shawna
True Blue Farmgirl

241 Posts

missouri (north)
241 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2007 :  9:04:44 PM  Show Profile
I've noticed some homescool moms on here and was interested in what others are using to train with. I love getting new ideas or learning about a great product.

xoxo s.r.

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2007 :  09:29:41 AM  Show Profile
What are the ages of your kids?

Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth!
Go to Top of Page

shawna
True Blue Farmgirl

241 Posts

missouri (north)
241 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2007 :  11:02:54 AM  Show Profile
3 girls 7, almost 3, turning2 (and good at it) boy 6wks
I like your tag, about hand on my mouth!

xoxo s.r.
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2007 :  11:10:44 AM  Show Profile
Shawna,
Go & see my post on homeschool. They give alot of information.
We've hs for over 20 years, 7 children, 3 still at home. :)

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & Herbalist
www.herbalmomma.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2007 :  2:14:58 PM  Show Profile
I just posted a unit study on my blog..if anyone is interested. about seahorses and othre sea life.
I sometimes post various "homeschool helps" on the blog.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2007 :  3:18:59 PM  Show Profile
Oh Tina - thank you! We're doing unit studies. I'm going to go check it out.

http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

Visit my Etsy Shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2007 :  10:11:28 AM  Show Profile
~Shawna,

Here is a link to my homeschool blog, I posted some links at the bottom of each post.

http://theteachinghouse.blogspot.com/

I will be adding more links soon....
you might want to see if there is a local homeschool group for you to join. Alot of times the seasoned Hs families have lots of info you could gleen from them. Also find out if there may be a co-op in your area. Get connected. Have fun! Considering your children's age it should be about getting them to be excited about learning. Read to them alot, ask them questions to help them think, explain words they may not understand. Let them draw while your reading. In other words some picture books and some not. They need to create a picture in their mind. Go for walks and talk about what you see. You have your hands full with your children's ages, but you can do it! Talk to them about character, helping others ect. This is the time to build strong character. The internet is a valuble recource and so is the library.
Farmgirl Blessings,
Theresa
http://theresaslavenderbox.blogspot.com/

Edited by - farmgrlchick on Oct 13 2007 11:41:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

shawna
True Blue Farmgirl

241 Posts

missouri (north)
241 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2007 :  1:36:03 PM  Show Profile
farmgirl Theresa!thanks so much you have so much info, i will be looking through all! your fam looks real nice, i'v got some realy nice girls that would go great with your boys(teehe) i am working on planned marriages, you know real hard to find 3 boys raised to be Godly men!(and now one women raised to be her husbands help meet) i better to better with my kids than my mom did with me!!!poor husband of mine
thanks again everyone for all info!

xoxo s.r.
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2007 :  3:42:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi Shawna,
I didn't quite understand your post. Were you asking about cirriculum or scheduling and such? My mom homeschooled us and I am very familiar with a lot of the cirrciulum. My brother was homeschooled from 1st grade on up and my sister from 6th and I from 9th. I 'graduated' out of the 10th grade, but still kept in the swing of things. I went to a homeschooled program college for a few months.....not bragging...lol..just thought if I could be of any help you might want my credentials...lol...j/k... was curious about your post though. :)
hugs jessie

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine; O What a foretaste of Glory DIVINE!

www.MayhemMommyMemoirs.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BlueRoseMama
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Val

51 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2007 :  9:48:23 PM  Show Profile
http://bluerosemama.livejournal.com/

I just wrote up pretty much everything we do/believe... it's fun. :)

Val

Val ~ I am a whole food cooking, swing pushing, boo-boo kissing, paper crafting, breastfeeding, creative sewing, attachment parenting, woodworking, guitar playing, gardening, constantly reading, artistic and lovely full time, granola lovin' mama to my three sweetlings, Alex (7/20/96), Cyan (7/13/01), and baby Logan (1/22/07).

http://goddesshobbies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9364 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9364 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  04:07:34 AM  Show Profile
Hi Shawna,
Glad to hear there are others out there who are choosing to homeschool. We homeschooled our three children. One of which seemed to have a bit of trouble spelling curriculum....lol.
Anyway, even though we started later with the older ones, I wish I had known of it sooner, but maybe we wouldn't have been so willing then. Anyway, they are all graduated....never done learning though. We used different types of curriculum. We changed as time went on. Ended up using the ATII program and supplemented that with a separate math course.
Hope you find what you are looking for and keep up the good work to all of you who have chosen this path.
Hope to help with the grandchildren of that is the path my children choose to go with their families.

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sweet Harvest Homestead
True Blue Farmgirl

279 Posts

Lindy
Stanfield NC
USA
279 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  06:21:07 AM  Show Profile
Hi Shawna,
We use amblesideonline.com. It is free, we just have to buy the books. It saved us a huge amount this year.
I also use Sing Spell Read and Write. It has been wonderful.
Do you ever read any of Lorrie Flem's things? She is full of great information for child training.
Cindy Rushton is good and I like the Pearls too.
Lindy

www.sweetharvesthomestead.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

BlueRoseMama
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Val

51 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  4:58:52 PM  Show Profile
Anyone use Saxon Math? I am thinking of that for my ds for next year.

Val

Val ~ I am a whole food cooking, swing pushing, boo-boo kissing, paper crafting, breastfeeding, creative sewing, attachment parenting, woodworking, guitar playing, gardening, constantly reading, artistic and lovely full time, granola lovin' mama to my three sweetlings, Alex (7/20/96), Cyan (7/13/01), and baby Logan (1/22/07).

Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  7:55:14 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Saxon math is excellent. One thing builds upon another with lots of practice.

For science we loved Abeka. It was what really got my daugher interested in science. Very colorful, captivating and informative.

Blessings....
Sarah

www.mustangsuzie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  8:14:50 PM  Show Profile
Shawna -- thanks so much for the link to your blog and the links on your blog. I've used About's Homeschooling site but did not know they had a math site. I printed out lots of worksheets. My daughter will be thrilled - NOT!

Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  08:01:36 AM  Show Profile
Hi I can speak from passed homeschooled experience that Saxon math works great. I had to do Pre-Algebra from it. I finally passed using that one..lol ;)

Just ask my Mom....algebra was no fun!! (And I don't remember cirriculum being one of my spelling words...lol)
hugs jessie

http://HandmadeHeartStrings.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

BlueRoseMama
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Val

51 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  2:09:57 PM  Show Profile
Cur... cUr... lol... If I do pull Alex out, saxon was the one math program recomended. Cyan is doing fine in just retoric and tables, but she will need something new next year. That is why I asked.

I am really enjoying all your blogs. They are beautiful and inspiring. Thanks for sharing!

Val

Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  4:14:48 PM  Show Profile
lol..I'll get it one of these days Val. (spelling USED to be my good point!) OH btw, I love your signature....the highest calling there is...to be a mommy!!!! yay 4 u!
hugs jessie

http://HandmadeHeartStrings.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9364 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9364 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  6:08:11 PM  Show Profile
We used Saxon for our girls but when it came to Algebra and our son we went with Key Enterprises videos and worksheets. (of which I still have) My son told me to hang on to them for when his kids need them....lol.
We also used Abeka for Trigonometry and BJU for Physics.

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  11:32:37 PM  Show Profile
Denise -- how in the world did you possibly teach trig and physics?? I will be lucky if I can get mine through Algebra. Even though I'm a bookeeper I have a horrible time with math - algebra, geometry, etc. Don't know if I'll be able to teacher her.

My daughter is in the 8th grade. She has struggled in math and last year was horrible. She had a very cruel teacher who loved to intimidate the kids instead of teaching them. Suffice it to say my daughter does not do well in that type of atomosphere -- most kids don't. She had to take summer school and a test to be able to advance to 8th grade. The test was an overall score -- meaning she had to get 100% but if she did poorly in math and then did well in enough in language arts she could pass. That is exactly what happened. She scored high in lanuguage arts and poorly in math but still passed. She went to 8th grade for about 4 weeks when we decided that homeschooling would be better for her. I did a placement test for math -- my daughter barely has 4th grade math skills! I was apalled! She was being passed through all the grades and didn't even know the basics. So now we're going back to the beginning and starting all over. She will know the basics when I get done although she may be a senior in high school before we get to Algebra!

Go to Top of Page

MarinesWife
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Melissa
Fredericksburg VA
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2007 :  1:43:53 PM  Show Profile
We homeschool also. My children are 11th, 4th, 1st, and 2 little ones. We use Saxon and love it! Right now my 4th grader is doing Saxon 5/4 and using Teaching Tapes along with it. Takes the pressure off of me. :) We'll continue doing that and if get stumped along the way then I have Teaching Textbooks as my back up plan. My 1st grader uses Saxon 1.

Melissa

Go to Top of Page

AutumnSpices
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Andrea
Blaine Tennessee
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  10:07:39 PM  Show Profile
Hello to Everyone! I just joined late tonight and was so glad to find some fellow homeschoolers. I'm a young 44 yr. old mom homeschooling our ds 11, dd 9, and chasing after our littlest dd age 22 months. I'm going to love it here. I'm so 'MaryJane'. It's wonderful to find kindred spirits. I'm definately going to check out all the homeschool links and information given! I didn't know Saxon had tapes to go along with their test. I'll definately check that out. I've always used A-Beka but find it lacking on instruction. I'm always intested in asking: What's your most valuable homeschooling book(s)/curriculum that you couldn't do without?
I use such a variety of books and methods that I couldn't do without my homeschool organizer. I'd be lost without it..... and have been before when I've misplaced it! lol! Blessing to Everyone!
Go to Top of Page

jennym
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Jenny
Green Lane PA
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  08:17:08 AM  Show Profile
Hi! I homeschool, too - this is going to be our 9th year (wow - I can hardly believe it!). My oldest graduated from public school this past June - he was never homeschooled. But I wish with all of my heart that I would have homeschooled him, too - I just didn't really learn much about it until he was in 5th grade and most definitely didn't want to homeschool. Anyway, this year I will have an 11th grader and a 5th grader.
Have any of you done any of the cyber-charter schools? We did one for 2 1/2 years, but are back to homeschooling now.
Hmmm, curriculum.....we use Saxon for math, and I love it! Several years ago, my oldest son came home from (public) school completely confused about something they were doing in math - he just didn't get it. So I looked it up in his brother's Saxon book, and showed him. He got it right away, and asked me, "Why don't they show us that way in school?" And, my favorite, "Can I homeschool just for math?" Hee hee!
For my younger son, we've been using the Story of the World for history and geography, and this year for my older son we're going to use the Joy Hakim series for U.S. History.
For spelling we use Spelling Power, and for grammar, the Easy Grammar series. I can tell you that I've actually learned quite a bit, too!
We also play tons of educational games - they don't seem like "school" to the boys, but they learn and retain so much! Some of our favorites are the Professor Noggin's games, Totally Tut, Auntie Pasta, and Great States.

Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9364 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9364 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  5:05:52 PM  Show Profile
I just wanted to say that if anyone is looking for any particular books we still have some of ours so just contact me here or via email. Most of them are later grades 7th or so through high school.

Denise
farmgirl sister #43

"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  9:34:10 PM  Show Profile
Theresa:
The teaching house blog.com doesn't come up. It says the blog has been removed. I really wanted to check it out. Let me know if it's up and running or when. Thanks.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  12:51:01 PM  Show Profile
Hey girls,
Another homeschool mom here. I have 2 that I have homeschooled from the very beginning. They are in 5th and 7th grades this year. Like Denise said, I also have lots of material from when the kids did phonics. Abeka K4 and K5 and other miscellaneous things. Another great free site with free downloadable books (McGuffey readers/speller) is http://www.oldfashionededucation.com
In the beginning I started out with Abeka, but now we are using Math-U-See, Spelling Power, Easy Grammar (love this) Apologia Science and Mystery of History.
I am so happy to meet all of you girls.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic homeschool Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page