Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 If you could only grow one type of veggie?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic If you could only grow one type of veggie? Next Topic
Page: of 2

NancyM
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Nancy
Fall City WA
113 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  8:28:08 PM  Show Profile
If you could only grow one type of vegatable what would you grow? My choice would currently be Walla Walla sweet onions. For a $12 investment we have been eating them in salads (and other things) every night for a month, and we've barely made a dent in our crop. They are SO much better than anything at the store.

Tomatoes would be my second choice, but this is shaping up to be a terrible tomato year around here.

Nancy
Farmgirl Sister #159

Cheryl Severeide
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  8:31:29 PM  Show Profile
I agree... Walla Walla Sweet Onions are the Best..... I think I would have to grow Tomatoes as my #1 choice.

Life situations and circumstances change quickly, often without notice... Take each challenge with a positive attitude.
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  8:33:35 PM  Show Profile
Not a good tomato year on this side of the mountains either, at least not at my house. My vegetable of choice would be zucchini. I have so many recipes for it, thanks to my very thrifty grandma, and two seeds yielded countless casseroles, batches of soup, cakes, and loaves of bread in addition to 49 pints of zucchini relish. That was two years ago, a year I am coming to remember fondly as the two since then have not been so good
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  9:47:26 PM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
Yellow Plum Tomatoes!!!!!!!!!

Samantha

www.elphie0503.blogspot.com

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort~~Albright

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  11:01:09 PM  Show Profile
Tomatoes with out any hesitation. I think anaheim peppers would be second. I am growing some Walla Walla sweets this year too..and they are doing great!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  07:31:38 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
tomatoes or potatoes. both a staples in our diet! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  07:47:06 AM  Show Profile
No votes for sweet english peas? That's mine

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  07:53:03 AM  Show Profile
It would have to be tomatoes. We have tomato based stuff so often, spaghetti, goulash, pizza, salsa, green tomato bread, tomato soup, ketchup, chili and some others that are not coming to mind right now.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  3:36:10 PM  Show Profile
I love cucumbers!

AngiKay
www.angikay.etsy.com

Be strong and Courageous. Jos. 1:9

Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  4:14:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am another tomato girl. I would grow tons since I use tomato sauce all the time. I loved canning tomato sauce last year. YUM. Nothing like canning tomatoes at the peak of freshness!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  4:19:01 PM  Show Profile
My first choice is tomatoes. They are good in so many things. I was hoping for lots to can this year, but looks like I might have to buy some. I've already harvested about 30 lbs of red potatoes. They are so yummy, plus my puppy likes them too! Once I get my strawberry bed cleaned out I will be planting more row crops next year.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  4:19:13 PM  Show Profile
my pick would have to be zucchini!!

Monica

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  4:27:04 PM  Show Profile
My choice would be okra. Okra in winter gumbo's are a hit around my house.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  5:57:55 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
My choice would be potatoes!!!! You can do so much with them!

http://maggie.ecrater.com
http://maggiemerch.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  06:51:41 AM  Show Profile
Maters, maters and more maters!

I think that if a mortal ever heard the voice of God, it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. (F. Moore)

Patsy

Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  06:57:29 AM  Show Profile
Tomatos! Don't feel bad it is not a great tomato year here in Oregon either! Where is our Summer? It is already beginning to feel like fall here!

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

countrygal56
True Blue Farmgirl

221 Posts

Barbara
Dickson Tennessee
USA
221 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  6:23:05 PM  Show Profile
I lived near Walla Walla, Washington many years ago, actually College Place, which is by Walla Walla. Walla Walla Sweet Onions grew in a field down the road from where we lived. After the harvest, they left some of the discards in the field. The town folk could go over to the field and pick up free onions. After they had been picked over, the rest were left to become compost. The area smelled like sour cream and onions for weeks. Whew! But oh thoses onions were good!
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  9:33:37 PM  Show Profile
Oh, ok, I'll SAY IT!! TOMATOES!! Who doesn't love a juicy red (or green, or purple, or orange, or pink or.... a RAINBOW of colors!!!) tomatoes!?

Actually, I prefer heirlooms, which I got hooked on when I had problems with my chickens eating all my "fruit." I read somewhere that if you plant heirloom tomatoes in other colors (there's even WHITE ones-- which are kind of icky) the chickens wouldn't eat them. So, I bought some heirloom seeds one year, and sure enough, the chickens only ate the RED tomatoes (they HAVE to be able to see at least that color) and left all the other colors alone. I've been happily hooked ever since!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  4:11:12 PM  Show Profile
Tomatoes, even though this has been our worst yr for them.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  4:13:45 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I love Tomatoes!! All varieties, as long as they are warm and salted just out of the garden. YUMMY!!!

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  12:32:05 PM  Show Profile
that's a tough one!

It would have to be zucchini for me. It's so tasty fresh, grilled and steamed, and can even be used in breads and cakes. MMMMMMm
Go to Top of Page

juliet79
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Heather
Worland Wyoming
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  5:17:49 PM  Show Profile
Ours in our family would definately potatos for my husband..and myself it would be tomatos! YUM....

What an amazing life!
Go to Top of Page

iloveprims
True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

TRACY
Phillipsburg NJ
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  6:33:42 PM  Show Profile  Send iloveprims a Yahoo! Message
I would have to choose tomato's... I love them with everything and get angry if I cook some meals and dont have any on hand... I know pathetic but I really love tomato's.

http://wantingtobeme.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Buffalomary
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Mary
Caldwell ID
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  10:12:52 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm, this is a tough one. I really like potatoes, but have a hard time resisting home-grown tomatoes as well, seldom do all the sweet peas make it into the house, as well as fresh green beans. I have also been know to wipe off a carrot and start knawing on it as well. But if I had to chose just one, this Idaho-borne native would have to go with the spud!!!!

Buffalomary

You can take the farmer's daughter off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the farmer's daughter!!

Please visit me at my blog: http://buffalomaryscorner.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  3:09:24 PM  Show Profile
Black Cherry tomatoes are one of my favorites! For a seocnd choice I would say lemon cucumbers, they don't make you burp!
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  10:06:06 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I am a tomato girl too.. a close second is cucumbers....YUM!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

"Despite the gardener's best intentions, Nature will improvise. ~Michael P. Garafalo
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic If you could only grow one type of veggie? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page