mandi
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Amanda
Nashville Tennessee
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  6:19:55 PM  Show Profile
I'm so happy right now that I have to share. Tonight I made my first-ever attempt at making freezer jam.

*knock on wood* It appears to have set-up perfectly. I'm thrilled! I got 8 jars

Here's the recipe I used:

quote:
Blackberry Freezer Jam

3 c. blackberries, crushed
5 1/4 c. sugar
1 box Sure-Jell fruit pectin

Measure berries into large bowl; thoroughly stir in sugar and let stand 10 minutes. Mix 3/4 cup water and Sure-Jell in small saucepan. Bring to a full boil and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. At once, stir into fruit and continue stirring 3 minutes. Immediately put into prepared containers (freezer jars or cartons that have been scalded), leaving 1/2 inch space at top.

With a damp cloth, wipe any spills from containers. Cover at once with lids. Let stand at room temperature for 24 hours. Store jam in freezer until ready for use.

A couple useful tips:
1. (This one comes from my mom:) Use GOOD, pure sugar, not the cheap/store-brand. It sets-up better. And if it doesn't set up properly, don't toss it: it makes good pancake syrup or ice cream topping!
2. Not sure what you all use to crush the berries, but I used my KitchenAid stick-blender. I won it in a contest a while back and haven't used it much (it's an awesome tool, but I'm really still learning to cook!). Anyway, it worked like a CHARM for crushing up the berries!!

I really wish we had more freezer space (my husband and I living in an apartment right now :P) so I could make some more before the berry-season is over!!

Farmgirl Sister #264
http://www.mandiknits.com/farmgirl

Edited by - mandi on Jul 17 2008 6:20:58 PM

NancyM
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Nancy
Fall City WA
113 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  8:41:20 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations! Your jam looks gorgeous! I'm hoping for some rasperries this weekend to make jam. Our blackberries won't make an appearance for about another month.

You could try some regular jam if you want to make more-just use the recipe that comes with the pectin packet. You can then enjoy it all winter!

Nancy
Farmgirl Sister #159
Go to Top of Page

mandi
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Amanda
Nashville Tennessee
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  08:17:54 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by NancyM

Congratulations! Your jam looks gorgeous! I'm hoping for some rasperries this weekend to make jam. Our blackberries won't make an appearance for about another month.

Mmm raspberry jam sounds fantastic! Good luck with your jam!

Farmgirl Sister #264
http://www.mandiknits.com/farmgirl
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Success with Blackberry Jam! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page