Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise
 Has any one tried to copy patterns?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic Has any one tried to copy patterns? Next Topic  

Cheekyredhead
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Christine
Lansdale PA
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  1:13:01 PM  Show Profile
I just picked up my August/September Issue and went straight to the copy shop. I'm not sure that the instructions on how to copy are right. First your told to copy the paterns at 100% cut them out them enlarge again to 800%. My local copy place said their large format copier only goes up to 400% at a time. When we tried to figure out how to get the pattern pieces to the correct size we wasted a whole of paper. I looked back at the patterns from last month and the instructions say to go to 400%. Help?!?!

TTFN
Cheeky
Sister #243

Imagine the view from the top of your dreams

www.getaclew.blogspot.com

Edited by - Cheekyredhead on Jul 17 2008 1:15:22 PM

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  1:33:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Christine!

I called the farm and talked to Carol. They were assured by Fed-Ex/Kinkos that all Fed-Ex/Kinkos have a large format copier that will do 800%. It seems that some of the workers at the copy places might be misinformed because the second time the ladies from MJF went to get the pattern enlarged the workers thought it only went to 400%. So if you enlarge it straight from the 8.5X11 that the magazine is formatted in to 800% it should work out perfectly. If you go 400% and then enlarge again to 400% it will give you 160000% (if my math is correct).

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cheekyredhead
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Christine
Lansdale PA
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  1:38:59 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Alee,

I'll go to the kinko's in stead of my regular place.

TTFN
Cheeky
Sister #243

Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  4:25:01 PM  Show Profile
I'm happy that we will be able to buy the patterns soon because the nearest Kinko's for me is in the next town,about 30 miles away.

Caron

"Praise God from whom all blessings flow"

Farmgirl Sister #254
Heart of Texas Farmgirl Chapter
Go to Top of Page

MissWhit
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Whitney
Maine
USA
142 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  9:15:55 PM  Show Profile
So should we still copy them @ 100% and cut on the dotted lines before we englarge @ 800% or just enlarge the entire magazine page to 800%? I am new @ copying patterns also...

"The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest." Thomas More

Farmgirl Sister #154
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  10:04:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Whitney-

You got it! You want to copy them so you don't mess up the magazine. Then you cut them out so the copy operator can arrange them close together (otherwise you would be paying for A LOT of space!) and when it is enlarged to 800% you have your pattern!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

MissWhit
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Whitney
Maine
USA
142 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  07:23:27 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, I copied them all on my work copier last night and will hopefully be able to hit Kinkos sometime this weekend! Thanks!!

"The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest." Thomas More

Farmgirl Sister #154
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  1:25:21 PM  Show Profile
We don't have a Kinkos and Office max only goes to 400% so looks like I don't get to copy mine (sad face).

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Cheekyredhead
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Christine
Lansdale PA
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  2:02:32 PM  Show Profile
I was wondering if we enlarged by 2% then enlarged again by 400% shouldn't that give us an over all size of 800% over the original? I really am terrible at math so someone may want to check me on this.

TTFN
Cheeky
Sister #243

Edited by - Cheekyredhead on Jul 18 2008 2:05:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  08:47:49 AM  Show Profile
I found it pretty easy to draw a 1" grid on tissue paper and draw out the designs when I made the apron from the previous issue. I'm no artist, but I got it close enough to love the resulting apron!

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Cheekyredhead
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Christine
Lansdale PA
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  4:24:52 PM  Show Profile
The problem with doing that with these patterns is that there's no grid behind them this time so no reference for scale other wise it's what I would have done instead of paying for the copies.

TTFN
Cheeky
Sister #243

Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  09:00:47 AM  Show Profile
OH, darn. I don't have the new issue yet. It was so handy to have the grid before. Maybe they'll go back to it next time. Guess I'll be in the same boat as you when I get the new copy. But hey, can't you draw your own grid in on your original? Just make the boxes 1/4" size? Wonder if that would work?

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  07:55:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Christine- That doesn't come out right. I did the math- and will try to summarize it her. I haven't seen the pattern yet so the base length I am using is meaningless except as a way to start the algebra.

If the base length of the patter in 10 inches, and you want to get that to 800% the base length would then be 80 inches. (10X800= 8000 then divide by 100 to length instead of % which would be 80) So that would be the correct length for my hypothetical pattern.

So if I took that same pattern and increased it by 2% (10*102=1020 then 1020 to remove percent and get length is only 10.2) So then I take 10.2 and increase it by 400% (10.2*400=4080 4080/100 to remove % and get length is 40.8).

So after doing the math I realized what you would want to increase it by is 2 times (200%) not 2%.

I hope that helps? I should call my High School math teacher and tell him I was wrong....I actually did use algebra in real life! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Cheekyredhead
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Christine
Lansdale PA
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  09:50:30 AM  Show Profile
Hi Alee,

Thank you for doing the math for me (an other folks as well). I hope this will do the trick for anyone who doesn't have a kinkos near by.

TTFN
Cheeky
Sister #243

Go to Top of Page
  **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic Has any one tried to copy patterns? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page