Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Dogs in the market??? Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  11:09:21 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Ok, this really is a pet peeve (pardon the pun) with me. I see a lot of people carrying their little dogs in the store when it says outside no pets unless they are working animals. I actually got the manager when I was yapped at by a little Yorki. How would the people like to have my 85lb boxer sitting in the cart? I LOVE my dog and I have let her eat off my ice cream cone (you know you do it too!!! ),she has taken care of my Jeep while I am running errands and I love to be around her but a rule and a law is just that and I find it quite obnoxious when people do this. Plus, I don't want an animal, no matter what form, around my food. I see it all the time in the mall. What say all ya'll???

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  11:12:20 AM  Show Profile
I'm with ya Heather, If a sign says no shirt no shoes no service People make sure thay have their shoes and shirts on same goes for no pets allowed(no matter how little).Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  11:22:20 AM  Show Profile
I agree..Plus I see it as discrimination(tongue in cheek,.sorta) I have a Great Dane. They also don't make those cute little tutus for danes like they do for the doglets. I actually wanted to cross dress my male dane Nixon in a tutu for a good laugh & a photo. (I know, I know, I am warped), but WHERE do you find a doggie tutu for a Dane?
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  11:29:37 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I think we should have a protest and bring all of our BIG dogs to the store with us on a set date..what says you??? HA!!! You could just get some tule and wrap it around his pretty face...

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Mommyswanson
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Laura
Waukegan IL
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  12:55:25 PM  Show Profile
Well, I would never take my dog in the market or Target or such but the Lady at the second hand shop in our neighborhood let me bring him in there today. It was just us & her and she wanted to cuddle my doggie!!

Laura

"That which does not kill us makes us strong!" "I cast all my cares upon you Lord."
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  1:01:50 PM  Show Profile
Heather, my husband takes our lab to Home Depot and to the Tractor Supply store...noone says a word. I thought it was bizarro and presumptious, but he said if anyone asks, he'll just say he's a seeing eye dog!!! I probably wouldn't take our 115 lb. German Shepherd in as a courtesy to folks with weak knees (and hearts)...she can be overwhelming...

I've never seen dogs in the grocers, but I do see them everywhere else, even in Kohls up this way. Purse dogs, mostly. But Lowe's and Home Depot advertise to bring them...so he does :)

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  1:26:14 PM  Show Profile
Big pet peeve of mine too, Heather!

I used to be the store manager who had to tell these mean old ladies or spoiled young princesses that it was against the law for them to bring their dogs into an establishment that serves food (state health code). Boy, that went over real well ;)

To my way of thinking, stores are private property and the staff are like your hosts. If they set some ground rules about how they'd like people to behave in their store, you should respect that.

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  1:39:52 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Ok...if they advertise,,,that is one thing and that is pretty cool, in the grocery store with food or in restaraunts, I can't take that.

Heather

FARMGIRL #90

Edited by - catscharm74 on Jul 15 2008 1:40:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  1:44:40 PM  Show Profile
My husband works at a bistro with an outside seating area on the street, and several "neighborhood" folks who come to eat dinner bring their dogs and sit outside when the weather is good. The dogs always leave with a nice doggy bag from the staff. Guess it just depends on the proprietor...but nope, never have seen them at the grocery.

*Lisa*, it cracked me up that you referred to small dogs as "doglets"....

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  2:21:01 PM  Show Profile
I call those "ankle biters" and I have my DD's Boston Terrier here and she's one too, BUT I don't take her into any store except Pet Smart. I think it's disgusting to have animals around food like that. They don't belong in the mall either--can you imagine if a store got infested with fleas or something? Just the thought kind of makes me crack up and cringe all at the same time.

Jami in WA

Okay, so now I have a blog. http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  2:31:34 PM  Show Profile
I have only seen seeing eye dogs at the grocery store. Not many at that. In our Tractor Supply store they have a container of dog biscuits on the check out counter. So I have seen them in there. I don't think the grocery store is the place for dogs,some of the kids I could do without too!!LOL

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  3:01:25 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Around here dogs aren't allowed in any place that sells or serves food, only service dogs are. The only place I can really think we've ever had a problem with folks bringing in their critters was the gas station I worked at. It wasn't just dogs that would come in. There was a man who brought a glider squierrel in his coat pocket, a woman used to come in with a parrot on her shoulder and the snake man brought his baby Ohyan, an Indian Python in one night. I think the problem started because it wasn't posted "no animals". Once management put up the sign, the critters quit coming to visit.

As far as me and my lil ankle biter, we only go to Tractor Supply and Pet Smart every once in a blue moon. She's such a barker so I really try to avoid taking her in those places.

Melanie

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. Helen Keller "http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ ~shop~ http://www.brokenin.ecrater.com/
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  9:28:22 PM  Show Profile
I despise seeing any little yappie dogs or yappie kids when I'm doing shopping. When I worked in retail mgmt, we had to approach people and tell them to leave as they were heading straight over to the produce and grocery section. I don't know what they would do if their doggies did their business in a store or even in their arms. We did have one lady that was notorious of bringing her dog, only for it to be hiding what she was trying to shoplift. I think it is very careless to anyone that may be allergic to dogs or cats.

As far as kids...yeah kids will be kids. However if I had acted like some do running around in a store, my momma would have our hide.

Now I'm sitting here laughing at the thoughts of big Dane dogs wearing tutus and cinderella costumes. HAHA

~Jessica in Kentucky & Farmgirl Sisterhood #137~
Be sure to visit my blog & Crafty Clipart for some of my photographs:
http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
http://www.craftyclipart.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  06:14:14 AM  Show Profile
lol Yeah, I always think about the laws too, and wonder what these people are thinking, they are brazen!

On a funny note, I only see my mom and her adopted children once a year cause we live far away. So we go camping together for 3 weeks once a year. Any way, a few weeks ago was our annual camping trip. Her 9 year old daughter, on the last day wanted to show me her "electric" dog. My husband and I had stayed at a seperate camp ground from them (works better for all of our sanity! lol), and so she brought it to the Denny's we were having our finale meal together at. She seen the "no dogs" sign and said she wondered if that meant electric dogs too! lol My mom and I laughed and said we thought it would be ok. Well, while we were waiting for our meal, she went to the car and got her "dog" to show me. She made it walk back and forth a few times by the table, when a waiter walked by, and said, you can't have dogs in here, it's the law! (he was nice about it though) We all busted out laughing!!!!!! And told him it was not a "real" dog, it was electronic. He said really? It looks real! He asked if he could borrow it, and went and teased/tested his manager with it! lol hahaha We all had a really good laugh about it!
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  06:22:09 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Cute Heather!!!

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  06:26:11 AM  Show Profile
I've never seen a dog (or shirtless person) in a grocery store. In Europe, however, you will see dogs EVERYWERE. This difference is that the European dogs are very well behaved--no yapping at strangers. I sell at a local farmers market and I see dogs at market all the time, all very well behaved. I kind of like it too, feels homey.

Celeste

"No matter where you go, there you are"
--Confucious

www.urbanprairiehome.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  10:36:54 AM  Show Profile
I must say I do find it appalling when I see people bringing their little dogs in food stores, and I feel bad for the dogs too. I always wonder what people would say if I brought one of my cats in a store, now that would be a guaranteed HORROR SHOW...for everyone involved and there would definitely be some bloodshed...

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  6:23:50 PM  Show Profile
My friend has a small chihuahua as a service dog. (Nixie is trained to spot seizures-and she is ALL business when her little vest is on.) Dayna encounters a lot of predjudice even when her little vest is on Nixie.

Personally, I LOVE my dog too, but he belongs at home. No matter how careful I am, I still find his little black dog hairs everywhere, and he isn't supposed to shed. I would be mortified if I brought him to Target and found his little black dog hairs everywhere. yuck yuck yuck!!
I will have to pay more attention, I know if I find someone with their little yappy doglet (that cracks me up too!) near food, I will tell the manager to get them out of the store.
Now I wish they would be able to kick out obnoxious whiny kids and their clueless parents. This includes those brats that wheel around in those heelies too. I swear to God if one of them knocks me over, I will smack their little bratty behind.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on Jul 16 2008 6:27:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  05:56:10 AM  Show Profile
Kate, you crack me up!

I was just thinking if there was even one of my dogs that I could take into a store. The one I would choose (Finnigan) would NOT be a good choice because he likes to mark everything--and I mean everything. We made one trip to Petsmart and it took me an hour and a roll of papertowels to get out of the store for a bag of dogfood!

Go to Top of Page

primjillie
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Jill
Antelope CA
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  3:12:32 PM  Show Profile
I'm in the minority here, because I love seeing dogs everywhere! I have two dogs myself that live in the house most of the time. It doesn't bother me to see people carry in their little dogs to the grocery stores. They usually behave better than most of the screaming kids I've seen lately. I figure I have dogs around my food at home, so what difference does a store make? We vacation over in the Mendocino area, which welcomes dogs in most stores and even some restaurants. They all seem very well behaved.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Dogs in the market??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page