DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  11:55:06 AM  Show Profile
Y'all, I am frustrated. My tomato plants are just NOT flowering. They are growing like gangbusters and look very healthy but only two or three blooms, and they've been in the ground since April.

Do you suppose I have too much nitrogen in the soil? Have I over-fertilized? What do I do now?

Novice gardener here! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

~Amanda in OK~

Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered by your old nonsense. -Emerson

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  12:09:59 PM  Show Profile
I'm no garden expert by any means, but the nitrogen content is what causes plants to create more leaves instead of flowers. Phosporus is what promotes blooms.

Diana
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  12:27:00 PM  Show Profile
You could scratch some soft-rock phosphate into your soil. It's safer and more humane than blood meal for adding phosporus to your soil. Sounds like you're too far tilted into the nitrogen end of the scale. You might want to get a test kit or have the ag agent analyze your soil for you before doing anything radical.
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  11:18:29 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
after yo uget the mitrogen straightened out use only a fertilizer with a breakdown of 15-30-15 any mroe mitrogen than that will defiantely cause the extra growth. hubby has had extrememly good luck withthis breakdown (he was also raised a farmer lol) what fertilizer did you use? peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Tomato help please!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page