Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Name That Bug! Next Topic  

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  7:24:05 PM  Show Profile
There are many of these bugs on my broccoli all of a sudden, all around the ready-to-harvest heads! Eeuuw! They all appear to be (ahem) traveling in pairs, making more of themselves, no doubt. They are roughly 1/4" to 3/8" long and when I todd them over the deer fence, it seems they can fly, but I wouldn't swear to it. Extra credit for good organic plans to get rid of them. They're making the leaves all bleachy and bumpy. I'm in Virginia, by the way, about 50 miles west of Washington, DC. I have never seen bugs like this before in 60 years of gardening. But then, this is my first year growing broccoli.

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  7:57:28 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Are they like potato beetles or something??? Maybe it is mating season...

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  8:38:34 PM  Show Profile
it is known as a Harlequin Bug
these bugs are serious pests of cabbage and related cruciferous crops like broccoli, turnips, cauliflower, and mustard. Harlequin Bugs will suck the sap of cruciferous plants, causing the plants to wilt and die, and entire crops can be lost due to their actions.
--------------------
I looked up some info for you on how to get rid of them:

RE: Harlequin Beetles - How do I get rid of them!!
Brought to you by
Advertisement
clip this post email this post what is this?
see most clipped and recent clippings

* Posted by Mrs_B SA Aust (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 1, 04 at 22:25

mix a solution of warm water a little vinegar and a squirt of dish washing detergent. Spray it directly on them works every time for me. I think the wax coating on them gets cut and the detergent suffocates them. Your might have to experiment with propotions but don't be to heavy handed with them else you'll damage your plants. I'm sorry I can't give you exact recipe it went west long ago. I have found after using this recipe that I only need repeat it every three years or so. This year they have bred up on my mallows so I must get out there soon.
cheers Mrs B

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  8:52:45 PM  Show Profile
Thanks! Identification is 90% of the battle. And now, the battle is engaged!
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  08:48:47 AM  Show Profile
Well, those critters were migrating to the Four Seasons Heirloom Lettuces right next to the Broccoli, maybe because they're bolting now (I've been less than attentive due to a broken + fractured arm just above the wrist). Picking them off for squishing under foot isn't a perfect solution because too many get away. So I made up a mixture of dishwashing liquid (about a tablespoon), about a half cup of white vinegar, and about a pint of water. This kills the suckers! And without damaging the plants, I think. We'll see. Thanks again for setting on the right path :-) I understand these bugs can settle in for years if you aren't careful with soil management etc.I may ultimately decide that broccoli is too much bother, and stick to crops I can handle wewll. That was the plan this year anyway. Try everything within reason as an experiment, then pare down to what really wants to grow in my garden. I'm too old to wage war for my supper!
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  12:21:38 PM  Show Profile
glad I could help..but then we have been fascinated by bugs for several years ..my daughter was even invited to a private tour at the U of F by the professors in the entymology department. She had been in contact with them for a while learning about bugs..emailing a few of them back and forth..so they told her to come down to the college for a private tour.
So we try to find out different things about the bugs when we can.

visit me at:
and at www.stliving.net
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  4:03:53 PM  Show Profile
You have a child with an inquisitive mind! I remember being a kid in Florida, We lived right on the beach at Patrick Air Force Base, near Cape Canaveral, if you know where that is. I remember those palmetto bugs. EEEK! When my mom was in charge of my Brownie troop, she used to kid around that a good craft project would be for us to make saddles for them. Insects really are fascinating. These guys I have in my broccoli patch are really exquisitely beautiful. I hate to have to kill them, but that's how the food chain goes :-0
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  5:01:07 PM  Show Profile
I visited Florida once when I was a teen and encountered one of those palmetto bugs. Those things are the biggest cockroaches I had ever seen. I called it a volkswagen!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  5:51:49 PM  Show Profile
Only one?
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  8:57:18 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
one time when i was living in chattanooga tn, i had a palmetto bug actually knock on my window to get in him in,...part way, then slammed the window down on it! i hate those things lol
peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  11:38:22 PM  Show Profile
yeah..they are plentiful around here..I don't like chemicals but..with those things I gladly use roach spray or a broom..ha.
I have been in Florida all my life and yes I like bugs, but I still screech like a banshee when I see a palmetto bug, unfortunately no matter how clean one keeps their house in Florida.. once in a great while a Palmetto bug will sneak in, sometimes roly polys will too, and the occasional lizard sometimes will sneak in as will a spider.
ha...you think Florida has big roaches..have you ever seen the Madagascar hissing cockroach? Now those are not allowed in Florida unless you have a permit for educational or museum purposes only, and then it is very strict. Because of course they don't want those growing here..but those bugs make our palmetto bugs look like babies.
Then speaking of other huge bugs..Florida has a giant beetle called the Hercules beetle, and then a water bug called the Giant water bug..and those guys/gals can get pretty big.

visit me at:
and at www.stliving.net

Edited by - Tina Michelle on Jul 13 2008 11:39:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  11:50:59 PM  Show Profile
yes my oldest daughter has a very inquisitive mind..and I'm glad..I have always tried to encourage her in whatever she wants to study and learn about
...here lately it has been everything and anything she can learn about sewing, and back when she was 15 I encouraged her to try to start her own etsy shop /business with offering her sewn products.
Then when hubby had a friend from work that is an excellent seamstress, and whom is writing a book on sewing.. offer to come by every other week to teach my daughter all about sewing.
For free... she came by for a year to teach our daughter sewing.
---------------
Of course when my daughter is outside and spies a bug or butterfly...it is not uncommon to see her running into the house to find her bug net then back outside again to run around the yard to catch and observe then release the bugs..ha.
Back a few years ago we set up a 4 ft tall by about 3 ft square screened mesh reptile cage by our back door..we filled it with host plants and nectar plants and caterpillars of different species of butterflies, we had the entire set up complete with mist bottles, humidity thermometer, rearing box for chrysalises to hatch..anyhow a complete indoor butterfly "rain forest" We maintained it for about 9 months..it was loads of fun.
We do plan on doing that again soon.
------------
My other children are proving to be just as inquisitive..so I'm tickled about that..I feel kids should always be encouraged to dig as deeply into a subject as they can and care to go with learning about what interests them.

visit me at:
and at www.stliving.net
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  03:41:03 AM  Show Profile
Cool....uh, but not really for those of us waging war.

I have seen these too and generally flick them off the plants. Think I'll start carrying a jar of dish soap too.

These are in the Hemiptera family of insects or half wing true bugs. The wheel bugs, stink bugs and assassin bugs all have the little "beak" used for dissolving plant and sometimes other insect juices. Some species of these can inflict a very painful bite, so be careful!

I took Entomology in college too and absoutly loved it. 'Course, a good teacher makes all the difference. .
We had to collect over 100 species and correctly identify each. I was a fool and also took the stream biology class from the same professor. Luckily we were able to use the same aquatic species collected from the semester before.

This was the first and last time I ever killed a Praying Mantis. It was huge! I felt so badly, but it was for a grade.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  11:54:13 AM  Show Profile
Anna, thanks for the warning about bug bites from the Harlequin bugs. Eeek! That's all I'd need. Probably the best bet (next to successful companion planting , good soil management, etc) is ye olde jar of soapy water. You can use the lid instead of your hand to flick the little buggers to their deaths.

Tina, your rain forest experiment sounds fabulous! I'll bet your kids will remember that for life, which is good for everyone. Keep up the great Mom work!
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Name That Bug! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page