Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Really Rooted in Traditions!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Really Rooted in Traditions! Next Topic  

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  09:13:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
This weekend was really a treat for the creative soul! I went to the Santa Fe Folk Art Festival! Hope everyone knows what Folk Art is, but just to put all of us on the same page I'll give you a short definition......It is the art of the everyday; it is rooted in traditions that come from community and culture; it encompasses a range of utilitarian and decorative media made from all kinds of materials created by individuals whose skills reflect their community's authentic cultural identity, rather than an indivudual artistic identity.

Sooooooo...... Folk Art fosters connections between art and people with a creative spirit that unites all the cultures of the world.
It truly is art from the heart!! Watching the multi-cultural mix of artists in one place was amazing. Most of the artists did not speak english and were sponsored by different organizations. For many the money collected from the show will go back to their communities to help buy medicine, food and provide schooling for children.

I bought the most fabulous tin sculpture that has wonderful three dimensional birds. I am going to hang it on my back porch. It is from a delightful artist from Haiti! He was there demonstrating his tin work and used only very primitive tools........and, he created the MOST BEAUTIFUL sculptures! I'll post some pictures this evening!!

Until Later,
Audrey

~ Side by side or miles apart....dear friends are always close to the heart ~

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  10:24:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Ohhhh and the Fabrics were fabulous!!! India, Africa, Haiti, Afghanistan, Peru, Kenya, Poland, Sweden, (I could go on and on) I have heard that Santa Fe has some really wonderful fabric shops that carry alot of the fabrics from the different countries....................they really were absolutely F A B U L O U S! Soooooo, next time I go there I will try to explore the fabric stores! I especially loved the fabric from India and Africa...............Just seeing some of the fabrics has my creative juices flowing! Aprons from some of the fabrics would be PERFECT and Tote bags and Scarfs and >>>>>> so many possibilities!

I might just have to run back to Santa Fe next weekend!!!

Until Later,
Audrey

~ Side by side or miles apart....dear friends are always close to the heart ~
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  4:26:32 PM  Show Profile
I've visited the Folk Art Museum in Santa Fe many years ago, when visiting relatives. I bet the Folk Art Festival is fabulous. it is always such a treat to see the magical things people can create out of the most surprising ingredients. Oh my...wish I could see it all

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Really Rooted in Traditions! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page