Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  07:28:12 AM  Show Profile
Did you ever read one of Barbara Johnson's books? If you did, you probably know she loved holidays and made up extra holidays, so she had more days to enjoy. One such was the first of the month. On the first of each month she would get her hair done, change the linens, and cook a special dinner. She celebrated life! And that alone added 12 extra holidays to her year.

We are getting ready for our own made up holiday. We are going to have a Mayberry Weekend! We are going to fix Opie's favorite food ~ fried chicken with all the trimmings Aunt Bea would have prepared. We are going on a picnic and going fishing. And if the weather turns nasty, we'll head home and play games or watch Andy, Opie, and the Mayberry gang on DVD.

Next, I think we will do an Olympic-a-thon, involving the grandkids in different events. Maybe even a rollin' pin toss for the girls and eat Chinese food. Whatever we can think of. There is an Olympic fun page at http://en.beijing2008.cn/funpage/
That could prove to be educational as well as fun.

Anyway, just tossing around some ideas for cheap summer fun.

Got any ideas?

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!

Mommyswanson
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Laura
Waukegan IL
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  09:20:01 AM  Show Profile
Gosh that is such a cute idea!! I'll have to think about this. We LOVE holidays around here.

Laura

"That which does not kill us makes us strong!" "I cast all my cares upon you Lord."
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  10:01:12 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Awesome Ideas Cheryl.. thanks for sharing them...

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

"Despite the gardener's best intentions, Nature will improvise. ~Michael P. Garafalo
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  10:09:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Cheryl....Lovely!....Can't wait to have some grandkids and do just that!!!!! .... What Fun!! We do a big Bocce Ball tournament with friends at our house and sometimes Croquet tournaments .... we could try to tie that in to one of the monthly themes!!! I am dreaming ahead here :)!!!! Your Grandkids are a lucky bunch to have such creative/fun Grandparents!!!

Until Later,
Audrey

~ Side by side or miles apart....dear friends are always close to the heart ~
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  11:53:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We have a friend who realized there isn't really any holidays in August. So he made up "Augustus Day" each year on August 15th we have a huge BBQ with lots of music, food, touch football and other such things. It always turns into a good time. We have had 4 or 5 in a row!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  12:02:49 PM  Show Profile
that is a really cute idea......,my kids are grown but i think we'll do the chinese meal thing......too hot to do track and field!!! oh, but maybe swimming....anyone remember mark spitz?? my son barry kind of looks like him! have fun!!!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  2:31:27 PM  Show Profile
sounds great! i'll think upon some fun activities for you. xo

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  5:44:50 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl, Love your ideas my family loves Andy Griffith, My middle son well we call him opie that started when he was little cause he is a red head and looked alot like him. We even have a game about Mayberry. I will just have to try talking Dh into planning a mayberry weekend with me and the boys! Thanks for the great ideas. karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Celebrations! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page