Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 do you have ONE all-time, MOST favorite COOKBOOK?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic do you have ONE all-time, MOST favorite COOKBOOK? Next Topic
Page: of 2

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  3:14:46 PM  Show Profile
TELL US ABOUT IT .. BETTER YET .. LET'S SEE PICTURES!!

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  4:39:33 PM  Show Profile
oh frannie, that would have to be my scrapbook recipe cookbook. I got a cute cookbook from Micheals crafts years ago and I was in a scrapbook club where we would have swaps for recipe pages. We had a few where we would decorate the actual sections and then we had swaps where we would create recipe pages. They were so much fun and I have recipes from swappers all over the US and I treasure that cookbook, it will definatly be somthing I will pass down to my girls. Then there is my Betty Crocker that has stains on it because I use it so much. I have pics of the scrapbook one.

well shoot the other images are taking too long to load. Sorry ladies those pages were cute! Maybe I will post them in a bit.

AngiKay

For he is faithful that promised. Hebrews 10:23

check out Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  4:52:44 PM  Show Profile
the other two recipe pages

AngiKay

For he is faithful that promised. Hebrews 10:23

check out Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  5:02:15 PM  Show Profile
The joy of cooking the old one and the new one
The Better Crocker cookbook the red book
I like a lot of the Gooseberry cookbooks
I have so many of those ; I could open a book store. Ha. Pinkroses

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  5:20:48 PM  Show Profile
Unfortunatly, I don't have a picture of my favorite cookbook. I can never remember my info. to get into photo bucket or flicker or you could see the oven rings burned into the front cover and the permanent pancake syrup gooed into the last few pages. But, my favorite cookbook is the Betty Crocker..the Big Red Book...I like my Mom's old Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook too, but when I moved out, it had to stay at her house so I will just enjoy it when I go to visit. ;)
hugs
Jess

Farmgirl Sister #235

http://crshelpmeet-heartssong.blogspot.com/

Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug. -- Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  6:46:08 PM  Show Profile
I am a cookbookaholic!! I love my first cookbook I ever got which was for 7th grade Home Ec. The Red Better Homes and Garden cookbook. I still use it a lot. I have many others from Susan Branch to Goosebery Patch, Tasha Tudor, Gladys Taber, a wonderful series by Jane Watson Hopping. I bet you ladies would love these. They tell wonderful stories of her life along with great old fashioned recipes.Pictures too. Sorry, I got carried away!!

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  6:51:02 PM  Show Profile
The orange Betty Crocker cookbook that my mom learned to cook with. Stains on all the favorite pages, and coil burns all over the cover. ;) It's the gold standard, IMO.

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

wannabecountrybumpkin
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Christy
Bristow Virginia
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  7:03:06 PM  Show Profile
I adore all of my GooseberryPatch cookbooks. My favorite one so far Is Come on Over.

Christy
Farmgirl Sister #139

Go to Top of Page

handyam
True Blue Farmgirl

394 Posts

Ada Mae
Greensburg KY.
USA
394 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  7:30:29 PM  Show Profile
My mother has the biggest cookbook collection. I tease her that when parents pass away the children fight over the china and the silverware, but we (except I'm an only child) would fight over the cookbooks!!!! She cooks from a cookbook all the time. She spends Sunday afternoons looking for some new recipes that she hasn't tried before to cook sometime the next week.

www.adasadorableaprons.blogspot.com

This is the day that the Lord has made.
Go to Top of Page

shepherdwagen
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Susan
Winterset Iowa
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  10:58:48 PM  Show Profile  Send shepherdwagen a Yahoo! Message
I like the red BH&G cookbook, as it was THE cookbook as I was growing up. My other fave is the Madison County Cookbook, from the Altar and Rosary Society of St Joseph's Parish of Winterset, Iowa. I'm a little partial to it, since my mom and sister both have recipes in it, and some of them are family favorites.

"I've childproofed my house, but they keep getting in."
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  11:05:31 PM  Show Profile
I have collected cookbooks for years & this on wins hands down!

Whole Foods for the Whole Family by La Leche legue
is the best because it covers everything any farmgirl would want to make from scratch, including how to cut up a chicken, grow sprouts, make yogurt, yeast or quick breads, etc. I love that it have variations built into each recipe. You'll love it no matter what size or age of your family.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, MRET & Wellness Coach

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  04:32:52 AM  Show Profile
ANGIE- What a nice idea with the scrapbook- cookbook. Wish I could look at it up close.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  04:35:38 AM  Show Profile
Fannie Farmer, hands down. It has classic recipes that never go out of style. The pages in my copy are stained and stuck together, but it is still the first book I grab when I need a simple, delicious recipe.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  06:21:01 AM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
I have two...one is Treasured Armenian Recipes, which I got from my great grandma--she and my great grandpa were immigrants from Armenia. It has all the recipes that we use during the holidays...sometimes it is hard to find an ingredient or two, but on the whole, pretty good food! The second is this little rag-tag spiral cookbook that Marlboro sent out a couple of years back...We don't even smoke! My dad was living with us at the time and he is a chain smoker, and when he got the book he was going to throw it away. Has a bunch of grilling recipes, campfire cook style of food. Now mind you, we have over 100 cookbooks though. Hubby thinks that we might miss something if we don't get one!

Samantha

www.elphie0503.blogspot.com

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort~~Albright

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4238 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4238 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  09:37:15 AM  Show Profile
My family and my husbands family all have The Basics and More cookbook. A Mennonite cookbook. It is the most used and the best cookbook in my opinion. We refer to it as "The Book".
It has basic good cooking recipes, with ingrediants you have in the house.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  09:42:33 AM  Show Profile
The red Betty Crocker Cookbook with the pie pieces on the front. I got this after I graduated from high school in 1969 and going away to college. I still use it.

May God bless those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  10:11:11 AM  Show Profile
Fannie Farmer is the cookbook i grew up with. I have my copy, my mother's, my ancient Aunt Ada.s copy, whoops, I mean Aunt Ada's ancient copy. I learned to make all sorts of things from that cookbook and still use it all the time. My mother's copy has her changes to certain recipes written in the margins, mine is liberally splattered with food bits...If you live in New England, you better have a copy of Fannie
Farmer, I'm pretty sure it is a legal requirement.....

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com

Edited by - electricdunce on Jul 11 2008 10:13:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

handyam
True Blue Farmgirl

394 Posts

Ada Mae
Greensburg KY.
USA
394 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  10:56:21 AM  Show Profile
Patsy, I have that same cookbook that I got in Home Ec. in 1968. Isn't it great.

www.adasadorableaprons.blogspot.com

This is the day that the Lord has made.
Go to Top of Page

keeperofthehome
True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

Suzanne
Atlanta Georgia
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  11:33:27 AM  Show Profile
If I am only allowed to pick one cookbook I believe it would be "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon. Of course I love all of the small church typed cookbooks as well as Gooseberry Patch.

Southern Belle always.
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  12:06:25 PM  Show Profile
The barefoot contessa in paris!! i love that book....it's simple, but you really do get the paris, france feel (at least i do!)....it's romantic, but good and basic! take a look!
Go to Top of Page

AuntJo
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Jo
Oklahoma
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  12:18:32 PM  Show Profile
My favorite is the red and white Better Homes and Gardens. I bought it with green stamps, uh, a long time ago.

Aunt Jo to 27 nieces and nephews and counting
Farmgirl Sister #75

http://auntjoscorner.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  12:05:36 PM  Show Profile

TOWNS, TRAILS AND SPECIAL TIMES
here is my all-time mos' favoritest in the whole entire world (actually it is a two-book set) .. i don't have the 'cover' for the second one .. but i'll give you the names anyhoo!

the second one is: MORNING FIRES, EVENING LIGHTS

the photography alone is worth the book .. but the recipes .. especially if you like outdoor, or cast-iron cookery like i do .. are FANTASTIC!

BOTH ARE "MARLBORO COUNTRY COOKBOOKS"

you can get them on e-bay .. i have gifted these to lots of friends.

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  7:03:22 PM  Show Profile
I just love "The New Basics," and wow, I can't keep it to just one! "Nourishing Traditions" goes on the list, as well as the good ol' red and white. My mom gave that one to me when I moved out on my own.

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  7:31:32 PM  Show Profile
The Joy of Cooking. I'm not a 'natural' cook and it has been the one recipe book I can actually understand and the recipes make sense to me.

My kids could tell you STORIES about my cooking mishaps!

I do have some other cookbooks, such as an Amish one but the Joy of Cooking one will always be numero uno!

Winona :-)

When you lose, don't lose the lesson!!

http://goneriding.wordpress.com/

Go to Top of Page

homemakerkate
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

Kate
Ewen Michigan
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2008 :  8:48:56 PM  Show Profile
I love to tell people about my favorite cookbook. It is The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook. I absolutely love it. I have written in all the margins of the recipies that I have tried, the dates and the occasion. Honestly it is falling apart now, but it is the best I have ever found.
Go to Top of Page

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  08:39:04 AM  Show Profile
Our alltime favorite is the St. Stanislaus parish cookbook...all our best dishes come from it. My mother gave me a better crocker cookbook when I got married over 20 years ago, I refer to it alot. I LOVE the Gooseberry patch books, but don't use them much.

Celeste

"No matter where you go, there you are"
--Confucious

www.urbanprairiehome.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic do you have ONE all-time, MOST favorite COOKBOOK? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page