Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 a bible study *update study aug. 25
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic a bible study *update study aug. 25 Next Topic
Page: of 3

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  12:00:10 PM  Show Profile
we don't have a study at our church over the summer and I really miss it. I can do it alone but it's nice to have someone to talk stuff over with. I have a bible that has studies in it that I could copy off or I have alot of studies that I bet you all have copies of too. I just thought it would be fun to do a study with others. Let me know. Thanks.

AngiKay

For he is faithful that promised. Hebrews 10:23

check out Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/

Edited by - Txfarmgal on Aug 25 2008 4:25:01 PM

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  12:28:49 PM  Show Profile
Count me in Angi, I'd love to do one. Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  2:21:47 PM  Show Profile
I'll do one but will be out of town until next Friday. Sounds like fun!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  2:35:06 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Oh yes that sounds wonderful. Count me in too.

Melanie

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart." Helen Keller
http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/
My shop is finally up and running.. http://www.brokenin.ecrater.com/
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  5:05:29 PM  Show Profile
I really struggle to do a study by myself so I think this would help me a lot to do with others. Please count me in!
Angie

"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  5:16:43 PM  Show Profile
ok sounds good. So instead of going out and everyone getting a book in these economic times. I will post one out of my bible and we can read it and talk about what we think and how it moves us. Let's do it for a week and talk about it and then the next week we will do another one. Does that sound ok? Can we do it in a post, is that ok? I will look one up and post it in a bit and we will do it from Thurs. to Thursday and then whoever wants to join in can and since we are not doing a book study anyone can join in at any time.

AngiKay

Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  5:26:16 PM  Show Profile
Thanks AngiKay sounds great!

Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  5:34:26 PM  Show Profile
sounds good to me! Angi thanks for doing this I appreciate it, this will help me stay motivated. Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  5:47:07 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
sounds good to me too.

Melanie

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  5:55:30 PM  Show Profile
I would like to join in too. I am missing a bible study right now.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  6:01:19 PM  Show Profile
Verse for the week: 2 Corinthians 10:14 Passage for the week 2 Corinthians 10: 12-18 Author: Linda Ching Siedge

Just Right!

"Hey, it fits good!" said 5 yr. old Geoffrey from inside the floppy tent of his older brother's sweatshirt. When he heard me laugh, Geoffrey poked his head out like a turtle and said, "I'm NOT too little! " Then he stormed upstairs and slammed the door. Later, I peeked in to find both boys sprawled on the bed. "Your're big enough, " Tim was saying. "Bigger than the babies next door. Your're just right for 5 yrs. old. I was struck by Tim's answer: Your' re just right......... For the last year, I had tried to model myself after a woman I admired: a well-known Christian church woman, mother and wife. How did she integrate God so efforlessly into her busy life? With a simple phrase, she turned ordinary events into unforgettable celbrations of God's love. I , on the other hand, was always scrambling to pull together a church school lesson a half hour before church. It took me some time to see it, but gradually it dawned on me that growing spiritually is not climbing to perfection; it's doing what you do with genuine devotion. Looking back, I hadn't even come close to emulating the woman I admired. I wasn't her size! Nevertheless I had grown in simple and essitial areas; reading the bible regularly, enjoying teaching at church, praying often and walking closer to him. Somtiems the desire to grow makes us feel "too little" when in reality we are just the right size for now- and always good enough in God's eyes.

Additional Scripture Reading: Eph. 2:8-10 and 2 Thes. 1: 3-4

So how does this relate to you? Do you feel Just Right, or do you try to immulate someone else who is not your size? (not literally) How do you feel God wants you to grow?

AngiKay

Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  6:05:54 PM  Show Profile
I have not always felt Just right, and sometimes I struggle with this more than other times. Instead of turning to the Lord and being at peace with who he made me to be sometimes I do struggle with why can't I be more like so and so. This lesson teaches me to be Just Right in who God made me to be. I am the princess to a king. He knew how I would be even before I was born and he made me in his image and knows how he wants me to be. I should take lessons from him and noone else in how he wants me to grow.

AngiKay

Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  6:36:52 PM  Show Profile
I learned a few years back that if I emulate anyone other that Christ, I will be disappointed. I tried so hard to be like this lady or that lady and finally I accepted that I cannot be them, I must be me. And if I keep my eyes on Jesus, keep my heart devoted to Him, I'm o.k.!

Caron

"Praise God from whom all blessings flow"

Farmgirl Sister #254
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  7:16:06 PM  Show Profile
I quit trying to be like other people back in high school. So that has never bothered me. But what I can take from the lesson is I dont have to be perfect to grow spirtually. I also have another confession, I instead of trying to act like others Im always worried about what they think about me. I see from this lesson Im always good enough in God's eyes.
Karen

Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  8:21:03 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I find myself wanting to have some of the same qualities as some of the others around me. I think my hang up is I have always strived for perfection. I know that I will never be perfect. I am learning that I can not solve any of my problems. I have learned that if I put my faith in the Lord, He makes everything better. Everything has become so much simpler since I realized that I am not and will not be Super Woman. I am just me and that's ok.

Melanie

Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  05:50:40 AM  Show Profile
oh AngiKay,
This is so very perfect and what great timing. I will so very much enjoy doing this bible study with all of you. Thanks for starting this!

"learn to watch snails" SARK
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  07:26:34 AM  Show Profile
I don't often feel like I need to emmulate anyone else but I do sometimes see people around me in church that I would like to be like one day. I see their faithfulness, their compassion, their passion and it tends to drive me to be a better person in Christ. There are times when I feel like I'm not quite enough for God, like I should be better or more "spiritual" but in the end I am certain that God loves me just as I am as long as I'm trying and still growing.
I read the passage for the week in The Message and really liked the end..."It's what God says about you that makes the difference."

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  03:44:16 AM  Show Profile
I do tend to become dissatisfied with myself when I compare myself to others. I have trouble differentiating between being inspired or motivated by someone else and envying them. I have to remember that I was created by a God who made each and every one of us uniquely different and to want to be like some one else really is going against his plan for me to be, well...me!
So, I can be blessed by those around me, learn from them, be inspired by them. But not want to be just like them!
(Thanks for listening to me rambling )

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  6:23:33 PM  Show Profile
Sometimes I look back at 59 years of living and feel I will never grow to the place I aspire to be in my faith, or be the person God knows I could be. It is frustrating sometimes, and it seems other around me, even young folks, have a much more confident walk on God's path. But I recently wrote an article for our church newsletter, and it came spilling out of that article, as I wrote, that one of the dichotomies of a walk in faith is that it is in looking out towards others and their needs that we grow. We become "just right" when we look beyond ourselves, and we begin to "fit" as we concentrate on others and helping them fit. What do you all think?

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

KellyA
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Kelly
Johnsonville NY
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  1:46:53 PM  Show Profile  Send KellyA an AOL message
My walk seems to be in stutters and starts...my best growing is definitely when I focus on others and what I learn from them. I think my best growing was as leader of the youth group in my church...I am humbled today by what I see the youngsters (now adults!) accomplishing today!
I never do better in my bible study than when it is my turn to prepare a lesson...the care and the preparation I put into it far outpaced what I scrounged up for someone else's lesson...so I agree, Jeannie, that our "fit" is best when we give rather than receive.

Kelly
When a cookbook is in hand, life is good!
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  4:17:37 PM  Show Profile
Wow, this is fascinating stuff. I am not a Christian and I have very little understanding of the Bible. I've tried to read it many times over the years. The Old Testament (yawn) is very difficult and uninspiring to me although I'm in a very different place in my life now. Perhaps it is time I try again. I won't be able to help myself from taking an anthropological point of view though. The New Testament is quite wonderful and the thing I appreciate most is the number of layers the many teachings hold. I certainly don't want to intrude here but I am fascinated to read your processes. Really wonderful! ~julia

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  03:02:20 AM  Show Profile
Julia, jump right in!
The Bible can be a bit overwhelming to read 'as a book', that's why there are so many translations. The New Testament is a good place to start.I like your comment on the 'layers', yes, you can dig & dig and make new discoveries! That's why I enjoy bible studies with other people because we could all be 'digging' in the same spot and each come up with something unique to share!
Do you own a bible? Just curious, what translation is it?
Angie

Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  07:40:45 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Julia, I know just what you mean. There was a time I understood absolutely nothing in the Bible. I found it the most difficult and boring book I had ever read. But then I came to question if my church was teaching the Bible in truth. I began looking into other churches and what they taught about God's Word. Sure I came up with oodles of teachings that contradicted each other. But it put me so much closer to God's Word that I have been reading the Bible more and more and understanding what I read. I now find it fascinating.
A Bible study is a great place to start! I'm with Angie, Jump on in here!!

Melanie

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. Helen Keller "http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ ~shop~ http://www.brokenin.ecrater.com/
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  08:00:05 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Ladies! Thank you for your encouragement! So much fun! I am the proud owner of several bibles. The open version, Gideon version, King James, Catholic edition and so forth. I like to think of myself as a sort of religious junkie, quite frankly! If I had to do it all over again, I would have studied Theology, Anthropology and World Religion. Hey, I still may someday! It's basically what I'm doing on my own now. I am a collector of religious books and I am currently studying Hinduism. Amazingly beautiful stuff! The many channels to God and the many faces of God...quite extradordinary to consider...So there's a little more about me....Looking forward to reading more! Many smiles and blessings, ~julia

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  3:41:23 PM  Show Profile
Hey Julia, try an NIV or even the Amplified. Really easy to read. it is nice to have different versions to compare and you might get more out of one of these translations.
Angie

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  6:21:20 PM  Show Profile
The bibles I enjoy most, and I have many different translations, are my study/reference bibles. one is an NASB translation, but I also have an NIV too. Anyway, as you read chapters and verses, below are very helpful explanations......telling you about the meaning of the verses in context. This has really taught me a lot!!! I could read the bible all day long and not understand all the meaning that is behind it....but my study bible really helped a lot!!!!!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jul 16 2008 6:23:30 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Reading Room: Previous Topic a bible study *update study aug. 25 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page