Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 my great pyranees is going nuts
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic my great pyranees is going nuts Next Topic  

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  2:26:34 PM  Show Profile
It's been stormy today but has stopped a bit. My great pyranees is going nuts, he wants in the house he is scratching the door to the back of the house, he is whining, I am in the studio and now he has spotted me and he is trying to get out of the fence here and is just all worked up. What do you all think??

AngiKay

For he is faithful that promised. Hebrews 10:23

check out Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  2:30:21 PM  Show Profile
Hey AngiKay...is he afraid of storms, did something happen in his fence? Hopefully all is well...

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  2:37:54 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Farmtopia

Hey AngiKay...is he afraid of storms, did something happen in his fence? Hopefully all is well...

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com

Zan, nope nothing has happened and the storms never bothered him before not even the fireworks recently. We just checked all the animals and they are all fine. Not sure if he senses a coyote or somthing nearby but I just don't know what to do. My husband is in meetings all afternoon as soon as he checks in, I am going to ask if he wants me to let him out of the backyard. He used to roam the property until he started crawling under the gate.

AngiKay

For he is faithful that promised. Hebrews 10:23

check out Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  2:48:08 PM  Show Profile
I have a mastiff who has never been afraid of storms or fireworks until recently. Honestly I think the neighbors (not nice people at all) have been shooting at them with a BB gun. Of course they dont do it while were home but hagrid had a funny mark on his but and the vet said it looked like a BB gun shot. Any chance you have crazy neighbors too?

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  2:59:55 PM  Show Profile
Why would you hurt a dog?????
Poor Hagrid.

AngiKay,
Did you ever find out why your dog is so anxious?

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  3:20:27 PM  Show Profile
I put mine in the garage when he does this until the storm is over. Our garage is connected to the house and he knows we're inside. I go out every once in a while and talk to him. I don't believe in tough love when it comes to fear in an animal...they just can't help it for one reason or another and need the reassurance of their humans protecting them. After all, they protect your flock or you the majority of the time, right? Payback can be nice payback.

Jami in WA

Okay, so now I have a blog. http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  3:22:52 PM  Show Profile
The other thing you could do is put him inside the horse trailer if you have one...I've done that before as well. He can't hurt himself and feels protected inside the enclosed trailer on a nice rubber mat (lightening wouldn't get him (I think??)).

Jami in WA

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  4:28:54 PM  Show Profile
My neighbors are meth addicts and are convinced that my dogs jumped their 8 foot fence and killed their little poodle. The thing had NO bite marks and was like 12 years old. They have also stolen stuff out of a neigbors barn in broad daylight and were caught on tape and still deny that they did it. The police raid their house all the time but they keep coming back.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  7:27:24 PM  Show Profile
There's a little dog doo on every lawn in life...it sounds like your neighbors might make an extended stay at a "hotel" with bars on the windows and doors. You can only hope huh?

Jami

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  8:39:35 PM  Show Profile
oh they get prison stays pretty often but they never last more than a day or two. They used to be really nice people. It is sad what drugs do.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  9:32:31 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like Julie might be right Angikay. Maybe your neighbors DID do something that has upset your dog. Or maybe something else has happened.

I have a 5yr old Maremma (Italian LGD) and a few weeks ago HE was not himself either. I don't know what was wrong. He was actually getting a little scary with this ATTITUDE and for the briefest nano-second I thought maybe we'd have to........ but I just told my kids to stay away from him , fed him myself (my youngest son's job) and PRAYED until I was satisfied that he was "back to normal." We had a few newborn lambs and a kid die (one of THOSE years I'm afraid... **sigh**) so I think that might have had something to do with his strange behavior. (he even brought the kid into the barn and left it where I couldn't miss it because I didn't even know there WAS another kid!)

He also did something I NEVER thought he'd do. He killed a kitten!! My friend had given me 3 kittens and one older cat just a few days before. (That one he killed was black/white. The siblings are orange/white, and he pretty much ignores the older cat who is a gray/white tabby. Don't know if the color had anything to do with it) Granted, he was never RAISED with cats (though I have an older 1 outside) and certainly never Kittens. It took a few days for me to get him to understand that the kittens were SUPPOSED to be here and that they were ALSO his charges. He's such a smart fella and he's ok with them now. In fact, he comes to the house every morning to check on them and make the rounds with me to feed/water the chickens and other animals with those same kittens close at his heels. I doubt I'll ever know why he acted the way he did. Strange isn't it? I hope all is well with your dog now. Hugs~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Ca-Reds
True Blue Farmgirl

124 Posts

kristy
Clearlake Ca
USA
124 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  4:05:32 PM  Show Profile
It really sounds like your dog just knew of something going on that you did not.... Sometimes its good to let them out and sometimes its not. it is really hard to tell. Sorry this really is not all that helpful. But i do believe that they just know what is going on around us most of the time. Even when we are completly obliveous to it.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic my great pyranees is going nuts Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page