Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Hot Flashes Next Topic  

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  11:55:14 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Does anyone have a trick to cool off a hot flash?
Mom kept tellin me there was no way I could possibly be having hot flashes. "You're too young for all that!" Yeah well I was having doubts to till last night. It was about 74 degrees, very comfortable for usually. I was helping Hallie try on her new clothes and heat cranked to what felt like 90.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart." Helen Keller
http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/
My shop is finally up and running.. http://www.brokenin.ecrater.com/

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  6:33:10 PM  Show Profile
I have them all the time, especially when I eat! The feeling comes on so fast and you actually feel like your skin is 90 degrees. I have no ticks but am curious if some good post come thru.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  01:22:24 AM  Show Profile
I usually try to stay away from hot drinks and hot showers as they will trigger hot flashes. I use a natural progesterone cream. (wild yam cream) helps alot with them. My doctor told me I was to young and 8 years later I am done with my cycles. Can take 10 yrs to actually be in menopause. My mom was through at 50 and my sister 44. It depends alot on your family history. Most women think it starts at the cessation of your cycle but it starts way before that.

Denise
farmgirl sister #43

"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  06:02:43 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I can go for weeks without hot flashes and then boom...often.
I take estrodial....which keeps me from constant, several a day hot flashes. I take the hormone for quality of life.
I have been having hot flashes off and on for about 15 years!

The best thing I do is wet a washrag..or paper towel with cold water and wash my face, neck and sometimes my arms. Then I keep the wet, cold towel on the back of my neck. I would suggest carrying wet-wipes, like diaper wipes in your purse as they work too. Summer weather and hot drinks are the hardest.
Coffee or anything hot will set them off. Caffeine can also even if it's not hot.
Sometimes mine will go on and on for almost an hour...then drink something COLD.
I have also been known to stick my head in the freezer for awhile LOLhope this helps.

"NEVER underestimate the power of a woman."
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA

Edited by - yarnmamma on Jul 09 2008 06:04:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  06:07:31 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Also my Dr told me that anyone age 35 or after can start.

I hate to hear women saying something like
"I was too busy to bother with hot flashes" or
"I hardly noticed my change".
grrr no sympathy from them.

farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  06:10:42 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Another hint:
freeze a bottle of water, then hold it on your forehead/face and carry it with you to wet the towel when you need it.

Let us know how you are doing.

farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  07:41:07 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Up until this past winter I had been very cold natured. 80 degress and freezin to death. My fiance has talked about how nice it would be to move out west somewhere. I think it's really just kind of a daydream, but he always talked about moving to Montana. I've always wanted to see the state. I've heard it's beautiful. Go for about a week and come home. I told him the winters there were way too cold for my frozen behind. Now it sounds really really good. And of course now that I'm hot flashin, he thinks Texas sounds better.

Yeah he thinks it's sooo funny. Well he thought it was until I had a flash kick in full swing and then cuddled up real close to him. It wasn't so funny when I shared my hot flash with him.

I am defiantely going to try the cold towel. I clean at an apartment complex, hallways, public bathrooms, lounges. There are two buildings and three floors in each building and no air conditioning in those long old hallways. So the hallways have gotten to about 90, but I swear sometimes it feels like a furnace.

Guess I'm going to have to start swearing off sodas, coffee, and chocolate. *sigh* oh well maybe I'll lose the rest of the weight I want to drop.

Melanie

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart." Helen Keller
http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/
My shop is finally up and running.. http://www.brokenin.ecrater.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Hot Flashes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page