Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 HISTORICAL EVENTS OF YOUR LIFETIME
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic HISTORICAL EVENTS OF YOUR LIFETIME Next Topic  

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  10:46:44 PM  Show Profile
what 'events' come to mind when you think of all that you have lived through in your lifetime?

have any of these events changed your life substantially .. or your thinking?

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  08:03:18 AM  Show Profile
When I was 20 the guy I was "IN LOVE" with and engaged to be married to less than 6 months later and had been dating since I was 16 called me on the PHONE to break up with me. (He was doing an internship about an hour away). He told me he didn't and never had really loved me. When I started FREAKING out and asking him why he hung up on me. He would not answer the phone when I called back.

HE had been borrowing my car for the summer so when we didn't hear from him in 4 days my dad filed a stolen vehicle report against him. When Dad and I went to retrieve the vehicle we were able to see him at the police station. He still wouldn't give me any answers, wouldn't look at me even. My dad dropped the charges, we took the car and went home. That was the last time I ever talked to him.

I still to this day never got any answers and I blamed myself for a long time. I know now that the real reason was that he was just a creep and a loser.

But it ended well - about a year and a half later I started dating Richie (who I had actually first me through the other guy). Richie and I will celebrate our 8th anniversay in about 3 weeks!

I struggled with confidence, selfesteem and trust for a long time. Still do on occasion but it was definatly a "defining moment" in my life that helped make me who I am.

I have heard "through the grapevine" what path the other guys life has taken and I can certainly say I was LUCKY the day he called and dumped me.

Richie is absolutly wonderful and I am so greatful to have him. Richie is the total opposite of everything I ever thought I wanted but turned out to be exactly what i needed!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  08:18:18 AM  Show Profile
Viet Nam, changed everyone's life in many ways. I am still living with one of those changes - but I love him, even more now.

The assinations of both Kennedys - especially JFK, Martin L. King - sad changes.

The space program, brought us all into the electronic age. Digital everything.

The Jim Jones thing, Waco, OKC bombing, 911 ~ just to mention a few.

I am not much at liking changes. Except for grandkids ~ now there are some good changes! :)

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  08:33:19 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I remember watching the Space shuttle exploding with Christa Mcauliffe onboard when I was in 6th grade...

Princess Diane getting married...

Ronald Reagan being shot...I think I was in kindergarten or so...

I remember everyone getting their first microwaves (monster size )and my Papa was awed that it popped popcorn...

Start of the Gulf War...I was a junior in High School and couldn't wait to joing the military...

More recently was OJ Simpson trial, OKC bombing and of course, 911.....

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  08:47:45 AM  Show Profile
I remember Princess Diana's wedding, the Reagan assassination attempt, and the Challenger explosion as big events during my elementary school years. Then there was the earthquake in California during the World Series (was that 1989?) and the Gulf War during high school. Also, we had a big Ice Storm in 1991 here in Rochester (during the Gulf War) which was an event to date from in my own life.

As I get older, the events start to seem more significant and they are somewhat traumatic for me personally. Don't know if that's because the events themselves are getting worse, or just because as a grown adult you realize the implications more.

I was really shaken up by the Columbine shooting in 1999, both because I had been a troubled kid in high school and because I worked in retail at the time. I started really fearing the disgruntled customers, and had an escape route from the building all planned.

And, of course, September 11.

I also remember the early days of the current war in Iraq. I thought it was a really bad idea, and I kept listening to the radio broadcast as the tanks moved slowly toward Bagdad. It was weird because it was the same time of year as the first Gulf War, but so different. I had a feeling that this one was not going to be so quick and easy.

I hope something happens soon that we can remember as a good thing!
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  10:33:02 AM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
I remember all of those things plus the end of the "Cold War", the fall of the Berlin Wall, Princess Diana's Death, the emergence of AIDS, so much more...it would be hard to list them all!

Samantha

www.elphie0503.blogspot.com

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort~~Albright

Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  12:50:18 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, You do come up with great topics! You are a great conversation starter.

Julie, glad you ended up with a keeper!

Things that changed me personally weren't big worldly events as much as more personal events...
Dad's untimely death, Mom surviving cancer, being a single mom and knowing that God had his hand on my the whole time, coming across the best things in life when I wasn't even looking for them.

Ann
Forrester Farm
http://picasaweb.google.com/FORRESTERFARM/FORRESTERFARMWEDDINGS
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  1:34:35 PM  Show Profile
Since I was an 80s child, here is what I remember:

* President George Bush (daddy Bush) flying down in a helicopter at our high school when he was campaigning for the 2nd time around. My mom and aunt got to shake his hand as he walked by up to the podium. My brother was sitting in the stands behind him and I was out front with my fellow classmates. That was the neatest thing to see and an experience dealing with the secret service - first time I ever went through a metal detector.

* Gulf War - I was in 6th grade and for a week, we "lived/acted" different parts of the military. They had local service men and women to come into our classroom. We ate MRE's one day, got to wear camo, etc. However, I didn't have any family members or friends serving overseas so I felt distant as compared to this war where I've had several friends go overseas.

* Being at the Cheyenne Frontier Days Rodeo when Lane Frost, the bullrider, was killed during a ride. While we were there, there was a tv guy going around interviewing people and he ended up interviewing me and my dad. They thought it was neat that folks from KY drove all the way out there for the rodeo.

* Watching ET in a drive thru movie theater with my brother, parents, aunt/uncle, and cousins in the cabs of our trucks.

* Using my first computer playing "Oregon Trail" game while in 5th grade back about 1989. That game rocked! Computers definitely have come a long way since then.

* Oklahoma City bombing & 911 - I was in college working when 911 happened. I remember that the international students were told to stay in their dorms and not go to class due to threats and such towards them.

* Y2K scare by folks and when the clock struck 12, nothing happened.

There are so many other events in history, especially country music history, that I vividly remember from over the years. It's interesting to read what others have went through in life. Just think, what has happened today, the last week, month, 6 months is now a part of history.

~Jessica in Kentucky & Farmgirl Sisterhood #137~
Be sure to visit my blog & Crafty Clipart for some of my photographs:
http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
http://www.craftyclipart.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  3:20:31 PM  Show Profile
Ann .. i so agree that those 'personal' events that make up our own history are the most profound! xo

i kinda' see those as 'chapters' .. in my 'book of life'.

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  3:21:41 PM  Show Profile
i took a movie break today and watched HOW TO MAKE AN AMERICAN QUILT .. and it is FULL of just such stories and events that made all the women who they are. have ya'll seen this one? (winona ryder is the young woman the older family and friends are making the quilt for).

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  7:13:16 PM  Show Profile
This is an interesting topic. I think growing up in the shadow of the cold war made the biggest impression on me.
Also...Mt St Helens erupting (I'm from Washington State), John Lennon being shot, the Berlin Wall coming down, that one was huge.
I remember the space shuttle, I was in 11th grade that year.
Wow, I've taught history classes where I taught these things

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  8:21:36 PM  Show Profile
I remember the Berlin Wall coming down-I was too self asorpbed at the time to realize the significance until I was older.
The Challenger explosion (the first one) My daughter's teacher this year was the alternate teacher to go in space. I thought it was a joke at first. Very sad.

Columbine-which hit me hard. My sales rep I support, his son went to that school, but had stayed home that day-he was ill. (thank God!) But it was a scary few hours when I couldnt get a hold of Gene to confirm his son's safety. (he was on the phone calling everyone he knew back to say his son is okay)
It terrified me, because I realized something like that can happen anywhere, even in "nice" neighborhoods.

9/11, I was at work. It was unreal. I don't think I slept for days after that happened. I was afraid another attack would happen. I also worked retail at the time, and was terrified we'd take a hit at the mall.
I still tear up if I hear Alan Jackson's "World Stopped Turning" on the radio. I also tear/swell up with pride when I hear "Proud to be an American" by Lee Greenwood or "Cortesy of the Red, White and Blue" by Toby Kieth. All three songs were played a lot then.

Princess Di-I was very sad when that happened. She was such a great lady and her poor boys. To this day, I don't think they will ever know what she did for them, and how much she loved them.

The OKC bombing. I was so p*ssed off at those two clowns that pulled it off. Killing all of those innocent people and children in the daycare for no real reason.

I remember a few years back when they found Saddam Huessein. I actually did a happy dance.

I must admit, I don't watch the news much anymore. I get tired of the gloom and doom. If something major happens, I will probably be the last to know.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on Jul 08 2008 8:28:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  07:52:03 AM  Show Profile
I guess there are many earth-shattering things that affect us all but on a more personal level the first real big thing for me was moving when i was 10 yrs old. I didn't want to move and I wasn't going to--etc etc. but I did and I got to work with ponies and I always said that the ponies saved my life. I was so unhappy and made myself that way. and then shortly after that my dad died----so those two things (maybe 3 with the ponies) really changed me and my views on life. I know life will go on and I know that happiness is always within ourselves. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic HISTORICAL EVENTS OF YOUR LIFETIME Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page