Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic I Wish I had a Picture Next Topic  

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  1:18:32 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
For a while my neighbor was feeding her cat on the front porch of our building (which is just infront of a little wooded area). A couple weeks ago, I came home and saw 2 huge racoons on the porch. Last night, I was sitting up reading and heard something moving around outside my door. Having a good idea what it was I peeked out and got the most wonderful supprise. Instead of 2 large racoons, there was 4 babies and a mama. I got to watch them for about 5 minutes before they decided that there was no food offering and took off. One of the babies noticed me and was playing peek-a-boo from behind one of my large planters.

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/

http://musingandmuttering.blogspot.com

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  3:37:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh! That sounds cute!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2008 :  4:14:20 PM  Show Profile
Cool! We saw a momma raccoon and 3 babies cross the road the other day. They sure were cute. Too bad they can be so mean!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  9:43:45 PM  Show Profile
Oh, how RIGHT you are JULIE!!! Raccoons are such FASCINATING animals--- as long as they STAY AWAY FROM MY CHICKENS!!!!!! They practically wiped me out this year! (along with a nasty RAT! But I put out a bunch of poison where the birds couldn't get it and I haven't lost a young chick since! Good riddence!!!!) I finally saw the culprit, (late at night when I went to put in a load of laundry, and it was NOT cute!! (AND it scared the HECK out of me!!!) That thing was thin and ratty looking and missing MOST of it's tail. I almost felt sorry for it, but then I thought of what it did to my poor chickens and I got over THAT real quick!

I was feeding our new cats/kittens in the garage and it was going in there and eating their food. I stopped feeding the cats at night and started putting the food out in the morning, fixed all the places it MIGHT have been getting into the chicken house (it actually had pulled a board up from the floor) and I haven't seen the ugly creature SINCE! Yeah, raccoons babies are VERY cute, but then they grown up and can become VERY DANGEROUS! They can actually pull a 50+lb hound dog (or ANY dog of reasonable size) into a body of water and DROWN it! They will also kill and eat young cats and kittens, and God knows WHAT else! I wouldn't encourage them to come around-- but that's just ME!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic I Wish I had a Picture Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page