Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 just brought home my first milk cow!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic just brought home my first milk cow!! Next Topic  

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2008 :  11:45:13 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
i was able to milk her once but she is pretty well dry. i got about 1 pint total! lol. this mroning half of it was creamand the other half didnt look like milk! it was also quite salty. is this because of her being almost dry? we are hoping she has been bred back but she was just in a feiled not being nilked or anything until we broughth her homne yesterday and i am not willing to pay the $200 plus to get a vet out to check her so will have to just wait and see. we are really hoping she is bred so it will give us more time to find a bull as they arent very common around this part of alaska. there are a few in delta which is several hours away and they are most likely closely related to her. i will be calling the 4H tomrrow to see if they can help us out. peace connie in alaska

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  05:13:27 AM  Show Profile
Connie, I have been wanting a milk cow for so long I would love to make butter. When I was little I helped my granny churn the butter. Oh to the old days! Good luck with you cow hope she brings more milk soon. Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  06:41:25 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Connie,
It has been a while but I am sure the problems you are discribing sound like she is drying out.. hope your 4-H can help.

My hubby and I have said for years we want to go to Alaska, but havent been yet.. welcome!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  06:45:36 AM  Show Profile
I don't know much about dairy cows, so I am not much help with your questions. But it's exciting for you! Congratulations! Do you know what breed she is? And Welcome to MJF!

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

thegoatlady84
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Robyn
Breton Alberta
Canada
10 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  08:25:17 AM  Show Profile
I am so very happy you found a milk cow!! If you lived closer you could use my Jersey bull!! I wanted to move up there, We live in Alberta so winter are bad so what the heck I might as well live in the mountians! My Jersey cow gave birth to a dexterX heifer last night! YOu sould be able to talk to any dairy and get a bull calf for free or very little. They are well bred and are the right price! If she is almost dry her milk that will be very salty and just gross! Best to just let her dry off, I hope you find a bull! When would she have been bred? do you have an AI tec that could come out and check her for you? I will keep my ears and eyes open for a bull for you. Have fun with you girl! What breed is she?

Rock'n M Dairy stock
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  1:37:20 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations!! I can't imagine my life without my cow Mona anymore! She was my dream for a very long time. I have had her nearly 3 years now. There arn't any Jersey bulls near here ( I had to travel and hour and 1/2 to get her) so I always have her bred by AI and it has worked fine.
Sometimes salty milk means mastitis..but you would be able to tell that she has a very red, swollen or hard udder...or lumpy...but the saltiness could be just her drying up too. Did they give you any idea if a bull had been with her at all or a date that she could be due? When I got Mona the guy said she was due around the end of November...Christmas at the latest...WRONG!! She calved on March 2 that year. She was very attached to me by then since I was out there checking her and paying attention to her every hour..scared to death I would miss her going into labor..I wanted to be there for her first calf if she needed me. How old is your cow. I am assuming she is at least 2 if she has calved once already. What is her name?? Congratulations!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  3:39:32 PM  Show Profile
Connie, I have a picture in my mind of you in bare feet walking that cow home down a dirt road in your apron and a bell on her kind of like The Waltons era picture....now you won't spoil my daydream by telling me anything different, right???

I milk my sheep now and then for colostrum stores and to get weak lambs started but sheep just aren't all that cooperative. Hope she'll milk for a while until you get a bull to make a house call or you walk her down the road to the neighbors (again, my little Waltons vision).

Have fun with your new girl. Jami in WA

Okay, so now I have a blog. http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  4:51:41 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
arrgh just wrote a nice logn answer to all of you and i had forgotten to log in! now i gotta write it over again *sigh*
we named her BUTTER BUCKET and will call her BB for short. hubby won that one lol she is a dexter and is a bit over 3 yrs but not sure how much. her baby is at least 14 months old and is the bull that she was in pasture with so if he bred her back when he was 8 months she could be 6 months but then who knows? finding a dexter bull or ai will be a real trick as they are few and far between in alaska. i dont even know where to find an ai tech! any suggestions?
jami i am sorry to bust yoru bubble but not completely *wink* it was indeed a dirt road as that is mostly what we have around here but i wasnt barefoot, i had on my snowmobile jacket and my fur hat! it was cold and very damp and threatened to start raining as it had all morning! i rode sidesaddle on the back of the 4 wheeler to keep an eye on her. i DO need to get her a bell! i hadnt thought of that lol. i have written up a piece about bringing her home and will post it if anyone wants a good laugh! it is kinda long but i did check spelling and use caps at the beginning of sentences lol. just let me know if i should post it.
i highly reccomend alaska for anyone who doesnt have to have all the trappings of outside! we live in a tiny dry cabin and heat with wood. its gonna be a real trick to keep the chickens warm this winter and i am praying that hubby puts a small wood stove in the milking "parlor" since the idea of getting my hands wet at 40 or 50 below and then actually having to use them is not pleasant! lol i guess our 16 yr old son will have that pleasure lol. i am hoping that if she is pg she freshens before it gets really cold out! i just wish i had done this 20 or 30 yrs ago instead of waiting till my body got so much older than my mind! lol. i jsut got a small lap loom to begin weaving so i guess the next step is to get a sheep or angora goat and learn to spin right? lol. gotta go hang up clothes while the sun is shining! peace connie
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  5:43:05 PM  Show Profile
Love laughs, come on post it please! Would love to hear how you got her home, Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Ga Girl on Jul 02 2008 5:43:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

thegoatlady84
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Robyn
Breton Alberta
Canada
10 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  8:13:27 PM  Show Profile
I know all about milking at -50!! you learn to milk fast! I milked three cow and 6 goats all winter with no heat. I can have them all milked in about 20 min now. My cows give 3-5 gallons each and the does are all 1 gallon. Like I said you get really fast hands! my little finger felt like it was going to fall off!! I would love to give you our bull to use if you were closer!

Rock'n M Dairy stock
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  9:57:11 PM  Show Profile
Winter before last I had my hands sticking to buckets and stuff all winter..wet hands against a frozen stainless steel bucket isn't nice. This past winter wasn't quite as cold..but brrrr. A little heater of some sort out in my little milk barn would be lovely. I do have power to it now...nothing fancy...but maybe this year. There is alot to be said for heat.
I love your cow's name!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  11:56:26 AM  Show Profile
Connie, Having a cow sounds wonderful and interesting. I have been researching about Devons...They are for milking and meat. I have read that they only need to be grass fed. I am looking into getting a bull and a hefer in about 2 yrs....We need to build a barn first...that is next yr. I hope you are sucessful in milking and I love her name...
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  5:28:41 PM  Show Profile
Connie, please post the bringing home BB adventure...your account sounds better than my little daydream about your trip home with her. You are a true pioneer woman!

Jami in WA

Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  3:06:16 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
OK a little background first. We bought 30 Rhode Island Red (3 died), 3 black Cornish, and 6 barred rocks chicks. They have been living temporarily in our 4 wheeler trailer.
We went to town with the 16 ft trailer and picked up 3 huge packing crates (like the moving companies use for long distance moves). One for the chickens, one for grain storage and 1 for milking stall for cow. Moving the chicks was a real trip! At this age (about 2-3 weeks) they can fly very well so we couldn’t just uncover the trailer and pick them up. We had to duck under the blanket and try catching them that way. It took all 3 of us about 45 minutes to accomplish this!
So that accomplished we decided yesterday to go get the cow home. First we spent all morning in town because it was raining and decided that would be good time for getting hubbys birthday present, a new fishing reel. So we come back and i am already tired. The rain has quit but its still very cloudy and quite cool. I had to wear my snow machining coat and fur hat for the 3 mile drive to where the cow is! This cow is a 3 yr old Dexter who has been kept in a pasture with Angus cows for the last 2 yrs. She has also been nursing a calf for about 14 months. We are hoping she is bred back because finding another Dexter to breed her to can be a real problem and they cannot breed with larger cattle. We get down there and the guy catches he in the barn by luring her in with grain. She was not a happy camper! It took both men to tie her to the back of the 4wheeler. The first mile she fought almost every step. but after that she walked pretty nicely. We got to the main road and a car was coming so had to stop she started fighting again but not as hard. After we pulled out of the road a truck was coming pretty fast so I started waving it down to slow before it got to us. The lady about ran off the road when she saw that we had a cow tied behind us! We got her into our driveway with little fuss but then we stopped! oh my she didnt like that!! I was headed up to the cabin for my milking stuff thinking to milk her while she was tired and we already had her tied up, when hubby hollers for me to come help NOW!! I run back and she has pulled the halter off over one ear and he is holding her by the neck. It took both of us to do it! After we got it on I went back up to cabin to get the milking stuff and went back for my very first try at milking a cow!!
She has very tiny teats which doesnt help much at all!! They are smaller than my pinkie finger and that is the 2 big ones!! The others are much smaller! Anyways hubby has a rope on her neck, 2 on the halter and his leg behind hers for me to milk. She stood like an angel for most of it! She did give a little indication that this wasnt really to her liking but not really terrible. She stood nice while I washed her teats and dried then. While I got the hang of getting the milk out she even stood nice! I have only milked a goat and that was years ago! She gave me a whole pint of milk! She is drying up!! What I did get is kind of a creamy clear and after letting it sit all night it was a full one half cream!! I truly hope she is bred back so I don’t have to wait so long for fresh milk!! We did get a very good price on her so even is she isn’t we are ahead of the game.
Now that I am done milking her we have to get her back up the road a ways to the pasture. Oh my, how are we gonna do that??? I ran in and called the neighbors who came on their 4 wheeled charger to the rescue! They had chicken on the grill and were in the process of butchering some others, yet dropped it all and were here in less than 3 minutes! With a rope around her belly, one around her neck and 2 on the halter (which she is regularly pulling over her ears! it must have stretched on the walk up here!) we get the 4 wheeler turned around and it took probably 45 minutes to walk her the less than 1/4 mile to the pasture.
And you think it ends here?? No way! lol. We have to get her in the pasture and get the ropes off her! This was another 45 minutes or so of battle royal! Getting her in and keeping the other two from getting out was a challenge we hadnt thought thru fully! The gate is tied shut with baler twine and no one had a knife on them!! (And you say what kind of farmers/Alaskans do not have a knife on the?? lmao!) While our son kept the Angus heifer and the part Angus steer away from the gate we finally pretty much dragged her into the pasture *sigh* I had really hoped that this wouldn’t have to be so traumatic for any of us! Now to get the ropes off....Hmmm she isn’t gonna stand still for this when there are 2 new cows to meet! She almost strangled herself before we go the ropes off and she took off! We were concerned about how they would work together and it didnt take long to find out that she is THE QUEEN of that pasture! The poor steer, who is youngest, gets pretty much pushed out of the way whenever she sees the need to do so and TDH (the heifer) gets butted and pushed around too! While TDH and Sir Loin both outweigh the cow (no name as yet) they are all about the same height.
We have to get a separate place set up for feeding one of them so the other 2 can eat without being beat up. The cow hasn’t had any grain and very little hay as the fully grown Angus kept her in her place (ya think she is getting back at tdh for their being so aggressive with her?). She will fatten up shortly as we give plenty of grain and hay to all of them.
Its a good thing that we have found a less expensive way to buy grain! We buy the broken bags that have been weighed and rebagged by the pallet for $50. the regular price is almost that for 2 bags! We get a wide variety of feed this way, mostly horse feed which works for cows lol and some chicken feed. we have even gotten reindeer chow! It is always a huge surprise to say the least. on one pallet we got 3 - 50 pound bags of whole wheat flour! Another pallet had more than 300 pounds of sunflower seeds which we sold for very little to a friend who feeds the wild birds.
ok this is a book now so i better quit! hope you enjoyed my continuing saga of alaskan mini farm life! I hope it has given you a good chuckle!
By the way, after having done all this I started making bread at about 8 pm which should have made it finish about 11 but it was 2:30 am before it was out of the oven! I hadn’t started a fire and it was just barely 60 degrees in the cabin which doesn’t make for a very fast rising!
Peace Connie
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  8:12:10 PM  Show Profile
How fun to hear your cow story...I love it. Ours pales in comparison for sure!!
Awesome that you are able to get grain that way!!
And the bread...sounds like me. I never manage to get my baking done until late...but then I don't sleep much so it works for me. I bet you were just plain worn out by the end of all that!!!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  06:46:53 AM  Show Profile
Connie, I'm still smiling every time I think about your "bringing Bossie home" story...I know you haven't named her but she sounds kind of Bossie (really spelled Bossy I suppose but the IE is for the girl in her)to me! Thanks for sharing.

Jami in WA

Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  6:18:00 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
we did finally name her. she is to be known as butter bucket or bb ( which also works as brown Bi*** lol) we are gonna most likely have another funny story to share as we have to actually catch her in a pasture of about an acre with barbed wire and electric fence and tons of trees to put a new halter on her. oh my i am not looking forward to this! lol peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  6:43:05 PM  Show Profile
sounds like youre going to have fun with your new little ButterBucket! I wish we could have a cow, but I just dont know if I could do the milking...lol..I am a big sissy! lol
hugs Jess

Farmgirl Sister #235

http://crshelpmeet-heartssong.blogspot.com/

Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug. -- Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic just brought home my first milk cow!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page